Thrunite Archer 1A V2

Phoebus

Newly Enlightened
My Thrunite Archer 1A V2 arrived today and I thought I'd share some thoughts and a few pics.

The torch is well made and feels very solid. The black type III HA finish is evenly distributed and the LED is perfectly centred. I suppose it's design makes it a "tactical" flashlight as opposed to an EDC light, but it can easily fill the role of an EDC torch. Unfortunately, my camera broke and I'm relying on my mobile for pics, so I don't have any beam shots available. It compares somewhat in function to the Olight S15 Baton, except it's got a tailswitch to power it on and off, and botton to select modes. Modes are: Firefly, Low, Medium, High and Strobe. Unlike the Olight, however, there is no lockout mode, since it's the tailswitch that turns it on or off. The switch is recessed making accidental activation in the pocket unlikely. You can also twist the tailcap for added security security. The deep carry pocket clip feels sturdy enough, but it only set for bezel up carry and cannot be reversed. Admittedly, it's a bit large for a 1 AA battery torch, but I really like it. Oh, almost forgot. The Archer has a blue o-ring in the bezel and it glows just like the Olight.

Last edited:

yubes88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick review and pics. Have you ran your light on 14500's yet? I'm curious if it still maxes out at 180 lumens or gets brighter?

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info and the pics. I have the V1 of this flashlight, and while I'm happy with the utility of the light, I think the V2 has a better look and UI to it. I also prefer the V2's pocket clip design.

The model that you have differs from all of the other pictures and video I've seen of the V2, in that yours has what appears to be a black mode button, while all of the others have a white one. Do you know if ThruNite made a minor change in that regard?

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The model that you have differs from all of the other pictures and video I've seen of the V2, in that yours has what appears to be a black mode button, while all of the others have a white one. Do you know if ThruNite made a minor change in that regard?

Yes. When the V2 originally came out on ThruNite's website, it had the white button. They recently updated it and now has the black button.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just order one of my own in NW. My first ever Thrunite.

Thrunite, please don't disappoint me and make it my last.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed already because it doesn't quite tail-stand securely or at all, but I can live with that.

All I ask is that it works the first time and every time thereafter.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phoebus, by any chance you've tested the waterproofness of the light?

I hope mine is coming in the mail next week. Do you mind if I add some of my impressions about it in this thread?

D6859

Enlightened
Anyone ordered/has Thrunite Archer 2A V2? I an find a thread for it. Seems pretty impressive for a 2A light :)

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Per Archer 1A v2's specs, it runs for 5 hours @ 70 lumens.

Per Armytec Prime A1 v2 specs, it runs for only 3 hour @ 65 lumens.

I believe both are quoting OTF lumens. I thought the Prime was supposed to have superior regulation? :thinking:
Is Armytec under-promising and over-delivering or is Thrunite boasting?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Per Archer 1A v2's specs, it runs for 5 hours @ 70 lumens.

Per Armytec Prime A1 v2 specs, it runs for only 3 hour @ 65 lumens.

I believe both are quoting OTF lumens. I thought the Prime was supposed to have superior regulation? :thinking:
Is Armytec under-promising and over-delivering or is Thrunite boasting?

Take some of these manufacturer specs with a BIG grain of salt - I have a light box and do some output/runtime tests on some of the lower modes and ThruNite exaggerates the most out my collection, edging out my ZL.

TN's 350 lumen-hrs is a bit of a stretch from a 2500 mah Eneloop, but nothing compared to the T10's 780 lm-hr claim (20lms, 39hrs), and my Neutron 2A V2 original 792 lm-hrs claim (11lms, 72hrs). For me it tested ~6lms, 30hrs on a 2000mah Eneloop.

While that particular Armytek spec is perfectly reasonable, I call BS on it's claims of over 300 lm-hrs for low and firefly. Lights lose efficiency at the extremes of Max and low lows.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take some of these manufacturer specs with a BIG grain of salt - I have a light box and do some output/runtime tests on some of the lower modes and ThruNite exaggerates the most out my collection, edging out my ZL.

TN's 350 lumen-hrs is a bit of a stretch from a 2500 mah Eneloop, but nothing compared to the T10's 780 lm-hr claim (20lms, 39hrs), and my Neutron 2A V2 original 792 lm-hrs claim (11lms, 72hrs). For me it tested ~6lms, 30hrs on a 2000mah Eneloop.

While that particular Armytek spec is perfectly reasonable, I call BS on it's claims of over 300 lm-hrs for low and firefly. Lights lose efficiency at the extremes of Max and low lows.

Thanks, reppans.

Wow! 11 lms for 72 hrs claimed vs 6 lms for 30 hrs tested, that is UNACCEPTABLE!

It's like how a lot of dudes lie about their height in their online dating profiles: they list themselves 1-6 inches taller.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, reppans.

Wow! 11 lms for 72 hrs claimed vs 6 lms for 30 hrs tested, that is UNACCEPTABLE!

It's like how a lot of dudes lie about their height in their online dating profiles: they list themselves 1-6 inches taller.

In all fairness, I have to credit TN for amending the runtime to less than half of what they originally marketed (and what's printed in my manual). I've also seen worse than 4x lumens-hrs exaggeration - my SC52 claims 170 lm-hrs on "moonlight" and it came in closer to 30. I suspect some of those Armytek efficiency claims are even worse... I got one coming and might test it ;). I hate BS marketing lies.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of these a couple of weeks ago. It's an excellent 1xAA light - one of my best now. I like it because it really does feel like a solid light and has enough thermal mass/heatsinking that you can run it on turbo continuously (with NiMH). I am also curious about how it performs with a 14500 - I am going to order a couple of 14500's and find out!

avernite

Newly Enlightened
I did a run-time test on my Archer 1A V2 NW this morning and it ran on medium mode (70 lumens) for 4 hours and 40 minutes using a freshly charged Duracell 2400mAh NiMH, which was about what I was expecting. At the 4:30 mark it was still able to enter high mode. It's a nice little light.

Last edited:

Rob420

Newly Enlightened
I received my Archer 1A V2 a few weeks ago and am favorably impressed with the quality. Similar to my Fenix LD12 in fit and finish. I use 14500's in it normally but have tested it with an Eneloop. All modes are the same intensity with both battery types except the highest mode, which is dramatically brighter and throws considerably further with the 14500 Li-ion battery. Given that the process to remove, charge and replace the battery is the same for both types I much prefer to use the 14500's because the extra light is there if needed.

Unlike what others have said on this forum, I left the Archer on highest mode with the 14500 Trustfire battery and it stayed on continiously for 9.5 minutes before going off. The battery had been used a fair amount before this test and need to be charged after. Light only got moderately warm during the 9.5 minutes. Am I to assume that it has a thermal shut off or step down rather than a simple timer??