Wuben        
Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW MarketPlace - Issues, Questions and Answers

Default NEW MarketPlace - Issues, Questions and Answers

Continued from THIS THREAD.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    Greta, I'm just thinking out loud here, but since CPFMP sales will be conducted over here and, as a result, members will have one inbox, would it be reasonable to assume that the normal PM capacity limits will be reached much quicker by non-subscribers?

What I'm getting at is how we've got 100 message capacity here at CPF main and 100 PM capacity at the MP by default. Would the default message storage limit here be raised since we'll no longer have an additional, separate inbox at the MP?

edit: I think it'll be a lot more convenient having a single-site inbox than having an MP inbox and separate CPF inbox
    Private Message Inbox limits have been adjusted for Supporters.

Level One - 200 total
    Level Two - 250 total
    Level Three - 300 total
    Level Four - 400 total

NON-supporters will have a limit of 150 PM's.
    Last edited by Greta; 02-16-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Default Re: NEW MarketPlace - Issues, Questions and Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Private Message Inbox limits have been adjusted for Supporters.

Level One - 200 total
    Level Two - 250 total
    Level Three - 300 total
    Level Four - 400 total

NON-supporters will have a limit of 150 PM's.

WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

One thing that would be super helpful to myself and I think several of the other long term sellers on the forum is if there was a way to list items in the same thread with variations.

For example P60 dropins. Emitter can be selected which also effects the price. You know having some drop down boxes for options so that 20 individual threads do not have to be started for a single item. For example XPG dropin $85 XML $95, MTG2 $110. Then another for each of those for each driver option since some drivers are $8 and some are like $30. This would be 6 listings for what is really only one item.

Thanks either way
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    FS: Everyday Carry Lights Upgrades for Maglite.

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

One thing that would be super helpful to myself and I think several of the other long term sellers on the forum is if there was a way to list items in the same thread with variations.

For example P60 dropins. Emitter can be selected which also effects the price. You know having some drop down boxes for options so that 20 individual threads do not have to be started for a single item. For example XPG dropin $85 XML $95, MTG2 $110. Then another for each of those for each driver option since some drivers are $8 and some are like $30. This would be 6 listings for what is really only one item.

Thanks either way
    This is where you could REALLY take advantage of the thread that is created when you post a listing. Put a note "See thread for more options..." or something like that in the item description/listing. Then you can list those options and prices in the single thread... know what I mean?

Well damn... didn't bother to look which account I was logged in with when I posted that reply...

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrat View Post
    +1. or at least smaller pictures.

is there a way to add items to a cart and make one payment for multiple items? currently in the marketplace a seller may be offering multiple items, and a buyer can lay claim to multiple items, and then complete the transaction. will items end up as separate transactions in the new system?
    Not at this time that I am aware of. But I will pass this along to Panjo (both suggestions for "list" option and "shopping cart" option.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead View Post
    MEOW, can it be set up to show who the buyer was? In my case it shows because they replied in VOB's there is no record. Some like to track the provenance of lights.
    I think this is something that is deliberate so transactions are private unless, like you said, the individuals involved choose to make it public in the associated thread. Understanding some may want to know, it really is none of their business... know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by cland72 View Post
    I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but will there be a feedback rating system with Panjo? It would be cool to have the total number of transactions completed on the Marketplace, total number of "positive" feedback, and total number of "negative" feedback within a user's profile. It would be a great tool for vetting a member before the buyer decides to purchase, and could work in conjunction with the cheers & jeers threads.
    Did some poking around and I was correct - there *IS* a feedback system along with being able to see the total number of transactions completed, etc. I see there is currently an error when trying to view a sellers "stats". It has been reported to Panjo.

It appears that you cannot leave feedback or rate a seller unless you are the buyer. I like that. But anyone can leave a comment on the Panjo MarketPlace listing. There is a place under the photo when you click on the item from the main MarketPlace page.

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post

3. I have been wanting to ask you this for a long time so I am going to sneak it in here. It would be SOOOOO awesome if somewhere there was a sticky that was "The CPF Story". I have always been currious about the birth of this forum, and in part your personal story. Even if you think its lack luster, and short, I would love to know. 1. What got you into flashlights in the first place. 2. What was truly your reason behind starting this great forum? What gave you the idea?

Took some digging but here is a brief post from back in 2005.

I have to point something out here - here is a quote from me back in 2005 from that post... "But truly CPF is nothing without it's members."

So where's Obi and his accusations that I have never given credit to the members for what CPF is?

Quote Originally Posted by flashfan View Post

1) Are BUYERS required to register with PayPal?

2) Is PayPal the ONLY accepted method of payment?
    1) If you're going to pay with PayPal - yes.

2) That is between the buyer and the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    Hi - Must say I just say this thread today and checked out the new MP. This is going to take some getting used to. I have a few questions and processes that I am hoping you can clarify:

1 - One thing that has been nice about the old MarketPlace being a sequence of forum posting threads was the linear way in which you could scroll through them. Is there a way to make the MP be more of a linear set of threads versus large pictures? Also any way to adjust the number of items you see per page.

2 - In regards to the multiple sales items per thread. What do you do if you have say a set of 10 drop-ins you want to sell that are the same but are appropriate to sell as a set? Or, for example, somebody like Nailbender who makes P60 drop-ins custom for each user and has a thread 1-2,000 posts long with on-going sales? How could these situations be handled?

3 - I find it peculiar that each new items still creates a new thread posting. Seems a bit confusing (at least at first right now). Is it expected that people with go the Marketplace to find Sales threads or to the WTS forums to read them? When people want to comment or have conversation with the seller do they go to the thread or the MP posting to make comments? Is there any way to have the forum thread comments appear within the MP posting?

4 - Sometimes a person wants to sell a light but then later due to lack of sale splits the sale into multiple smaller parts to sell them individually. How could this be handled?

5 - Will thread subscriptions work the same way if you comment in the forum thread? If you are then subscribed, will you then be notified if the item is marked as sold?

6 - Bypassing the fees - and just thinking out load here as items pop into my head. Are you concerned with people contacting sellers through PM about items for sale and then just sealing the deal via PM, thus bypassing the new fee mechanism? I would think it's bound to happen and likely harder to track than rogue posts in the WTS forums. Will you be monitoring PMs for this type of behavior?

I am open to this new MP setup, but still confused by the whole flow of things till I get more used to it. It does seem confusing that a single sales posting will now essentially have two parts to it - a Panjo listing and a CPF WTS thread.
    Almost all of your questions have already been answered/addressed in the first thread where you posted this. If not, then they have been addressed in this thread already. Simply looking around and clicking on this, that and the other thing will give you your answers as far as capabilities and restrictions.

Regarding #6 - Is this something you are planning on doing or just thought you might want to pass it on to others who may want to? Either way... perhaps this is the opportunity to make a couple of things perfectly clear -

I CANNOT AND DO NOT MONITOR PM'S!! Damn, people... how many times do I have to post that? and what makes you think I even CARE about what you have to say IN PRIVATE to someone else?!?! Do you honestly think I have nothing better to do with my time - even if I COULD?!?! Your PRIVATE messages are PRIVATE - even from ME!

And... Obviously this system is going to be based on the honor system - and one would hope (and expect) that members would not deliberately bypass the system in order to avoid any fees. That being said, there will be "flags" that something like that might be happening. If it is discovered that someone is repeatedly doing this, ALL of their sales will be removed and they will be banned from the forums... permanently! I'm really not interested in having members around who lack honesty and integrity and obviously no appreciation or respect for the CPF community.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Hi Kelly,

Does this new MP allow for payments outside of Paypal? If I list an item for sale, can I get paid through my merchant account(MC/Visa), cash, check, or MO and pay the CPF(Panjo) listing fee(unless I purchase a supporter subscription) with a valid CC linked to a Panjo acount?
    You can work out payment options when you post a listing. It would be best (and easiest) for you to purchase a supporter package so you don't have to worry about the fees. I'm sure it would be much cheaper too.

My main involvement on CPFMP in the past has been helping and commenting in some manufacturers Sub-forums/threads. How will I be able to do this if each manufacturer will have to list unique individual multiple items individually on CPF? Will their still be Manufacturer Sub-Forum subscribers and their threads on CPF?
    There will be a Manufacturer's Corner here on CPF and yes, the Manufacturers that have sub-forums at CPFMP will have them here too. Manufacturers will not be required to use the new Marketplace here but they can if they want.

Is there still going to be banner ads available for purchase/display throughout the site?
    Yes.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get more familiar with this new incorporated vBulletin 4.2.2 feature.

Thanks
    GL

Hi Kell, on the CPF "FORUM" page where your have the Subform headers:

ADMINISTRATIVE
    FLASHLIGHTS
    MODDED FLASHLIGHT
    BEYOND FLASHLIGHTS
    and so on...

Why not have a New Subforum header - "CPF MARKETPLACE", when clicked on takes you to a similar layout as the current CPFM "FORUM" page where you have:

DEALER/MANUFACTURE
    BUY FLASHLIGHT
    BUY NON FLASHLIGHT
    GENERAL MARKETLACE
    and so on...

That way all the items for sale are in the one easy to find, neat spot and there will be no need to go from one subforum to another to see all flashlights and other items for sale as for the current set up. Just my current opinion, would like to know your thoughts on this, and maybe the thoughts of others...
    Last edited by Lomandor; 02-16-2015 at 06:39 PM.
    WTB: All things SUREFIRE with CROSSHAIR LOGO or RARE/LIMITED EDITIONS

Also, I noticed 2 of the re directory links on my MARKETPLACE sales page, to the forum sales page are not working.

EDIT: Actually, all three links on my sales pages are not working, with on taking me to one of the other items for sale.
    Last edited by Lomandor; 02-16-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Calling Panjo now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomandor View Post
    Hi Kell, on the CPF "FORUM" page where your have the Subform headers:

ADMINISTRATIVE
    FLASHLIGHTS
    MODDED FLASHLIGHT
    BEYOND FLASHLIGHTS
    and so on...

Why not have a New Subforum header - "CPF MARKETPLACE", when clicked on takes you to a similar layout as the current CPFM "FORUM" page where you have:

DEALER/MANUFACTURE
    BUY FLASHLIGHT
    BUY NON FLASHLIGHT
    GENERAL MARKETLACE
    and so on...

That way all the items for sale are in the one easy to find, neat spot and there will be no need to go from one subforum to another to see all flashlights and other items for sale as for the current set up. Just my current opinion, would like to know your thoughts on this, and maybe the thoughts of others...

I'm working on the structure now. I kinda/sorta was thinking along the lines of what you have suggested but I think I still like having the WTS threads in a sub-forum of the corresponding forums/sub-forums. Otherwise, why bother having the Panjo MarketPlace? The Panjo MarketPlace does having a learning curve. But I think once you all get to USING it, you'll like it and the features it offers. Just give me some time to mess around with the structure and see what is going to offer the most visibility without mucking up the Main Forum Index page with a gazillion different forums.

Also, I noticed 2 of the re directory links on my MARKETPLACE sales page, to the forum sales page are not working.

EDIT: Actually, all three links on my sales pages are not working, with on taking me to one of the other items for sale.

Ok... this is something that I inadvertently did. I won't bore you with the gorey details. Let me see if I can fix it and I'll let you know what I come up with. Stand by... and I'm sorry...

I'm working on the structure now. I kinda/sorta was thinking along the lines of what you have suggested but I think I still like having the WTS threads in a sub-forum of the corresponding forums/sub-forums. Otherwise, why bother having the Panjo MarketPlace? The Panjo MarketPlace does having a learning curve. But I think once you all get to USING it, you'll like it and the features it offers. Just give me some time to mess around with the structure and see what is going to offer the most visibility without mucking up the Main Forum Index page with a gazillion different forums.
    Hmmm, accidently pressed the send buton Lol! Never mind
    Last edited by Lomandor; 02-16-2015 at 09:29 PM.

I CANNOT AND DO NOT MONITOR PM'S!! Damn, people... how many times do I have to post that? and what makes you think I even CARE about what you have to say IN PRIVATE to someone else?!?! Do you honestly think I have nothing better to do with my time - even if I COULD?!?! Your PRIVATE messages are PRIVATE - even from ME!

And... Obviously this system is going to be based on the honor system - and one would hope (and expect) that members would not deliberately bypass the system in order to avoid any fees. That being said, there will be "flags" that something like that might be happening. If it is discovered that someone is repeatedly doing this, ALL of their sales will be removed and they will be banned from the forums... permanently! I'm really not interested in having members around who lack honesty and integrity and obviously no appreciation or respect for the CPF community.
    Did that ^ remind anyone else of the opening scene of Star Wars?

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

vBulletin, sub forum-sub forum creates a list in stead of each forum icon

vBulletin, sub forum-sub forum creates a list in stead of each forum icon
    Pretty much...

Quote Originally Posted by flashfan View Post
    1) Are BUYERS required to register with PayPal?
    2) Is PayPal the ONLY accepted method of payment?
    1) If you're going to pay with PayPal - yes.

2) That is between the buyer and the seller.
    For added specificity - BUYERS are NOT required to register with PayPal. PayPal is the payment processor on transactions where the seller has registered with PayPal. However, PayPal is just processing the payment. You can pay with any credit card or debit card that falls under Visa, Master Card, Discover, or AMEX.

PayPal is NOT the ONLY accepted method of payment, see above.

1 - One thing that has been nice about the old MarketPlace being a sequence of forum posting threads was the linear way in which you could scroll through them. Is there a way to make the MP be more of a linear set of threads versus large pictures? Also any way to adjust the number of items you see per page.
    We used to offer a linear version of the marketplace. However, we found that very few people used it. The marketplace creates thread posts for those who prefer the legacy linear layout. The thread posts are synchronized to the marketplace. When an item is updated or sold, the marketplace updates the thread posts automatically.

2 - In regards to the multiple sales items per thread. What do you do if you have say a set of 10 drop-ins you want to sell that are the same but are appropriate to sell as a set? Or, for example, somebody like Nailbender who makes P60 drop-ins custom for each user and has a thread 1-2,000 posts long with on-going sales? How could these situations be handled?
    The new CPF marketplace listing creation form has some advanced options that allow you to indicate that a listing exists in a quantity greater than one. After each sale, the listing will effectively 'relist' itself until the quantity runs down to zero.

Related Suggestion: Imagine you have 10 of something. You would be willing to sell it in a set of 10 or one at a time, 10 times. You might want to make two listings and update as appropriate.

Related Suggestion: Imagine you have a few versions of something. You might want to create a single master listing with a base price and describe the different versions and different prices in the description field of the listing and direct a buyer to indicate the specs he/she wants in the 'note' field of the order form. You then might collect a surcharge for requests that exceed the base price.

3 - I find it peculiar that each new items still creates a new thread posting. Seems a bit confusing (at least at first right now). Is it expected that people with go the Marketplace to find Sales threads or to the WTS forums to read them? When people want to comment or have conversation with the seller do they go to the thread or the MP posting to make comments? Is there any way to have the forum thread comments appear within the MP posting?
    It is on Panjo's roadmap to improve the unity of the comments. That improvement is a few months away. We agree on this point.

4 - Sometimes a person wants to sell a light but then later due to lack of sale splits the sale into multiple smaller parts to sell them individually. How could this be handled?
    Cancel the initial listing. Create n new listings to cover the different parts. Easy peasy.

5 - Will thread subscriptions work the same way if you comment in the forum thread? If you are then subscribed, will you then be notified if the item is marked as sold?
    As a seller, you are auto-subscribed to the thread post version of your listing. As a prospective buyer, you thread post subscription preferences should follow your forum preferences.

It does seem confusing that a single sales posting will now essentially have two parts to it - a Panjo listing and a CPF WTS thread.
    Again, this is in part to provide different ways to consume the listings for buyers with different preferences. So long as a seller manages the listing with the CPF marketplace tools, then the thread post will stay updated as well.

and what makes you think I even CARE about what you have to say IN PRIVATE to someone else?!?!

If it is discovered that someone is repeatedly doing this, ALL of their sales will be removed and they will be banned from the forums... permanently!

It all makes sense to me. eg one could conceivably sell something using the honor system where the buyer pays with a usps money order, then the seller reports the transaction & pays their cpf/panjo fee via their registered PayPal account on-file. But why not just make it easy on all five parties involved- buyer, seller, PayPal, cpf, & panjo in the first place and just use PayPal instead? Why are people are over thinking this & creating problems where there are none? Why not just try having a little patience, instead of playing the "what if?" game?

This is NOT the cpfm. Make adjustments people!

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    But why not just make it easy on all five parties involved- buyer, seller, PayPal, cpf, & panjo in the first place and just use PayPal instead? Why are people are over thinking this & creating problems where there are none? Why not just try having a little patience, instead of playing the "what if?" game?

The thing is, not everyone uses paypal, apart from bank transfers, many still like using other commodities of trade like gold, spices, clamshells, spices bat poop and camels.....

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

edit - removed.

I see that panjo admin responded to the questions I had.
    Even after having already read through all of the first 4 pages I still had those questions.

And - I am already a subscriber - and have been for a few years. I have no need or intention to skirt the system.
    Last edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond; 02-17-2015 at 07:03 AM.

The thing is, not everyone uses paypal, apart from bank transfers, many still like using other commodities of trade like gold, spices, clamshells, spices bat poop and camels.....
    How many bat poops for a z3?

How many bat poops for a z3?

Is that they way one would pluralize "bat poop?!"

Flashaholic*

But why not just make it easy on all five parties involved- buyer, seller, PayPal, cpf, & panjo in the first place and just use PayPal instead? Why are people are over thinking this & creating problems where there are none? Why not just try having a little patience, instead of playing the "what if?" game?

Many ppeople don't use PayPal for moral or political reasons. Why would you support a company who spends money against you?

Edit- never mind I apologize S.O.Y.C.D. I just realized that I confused you with another poster from the old thread, obi something who kept going off on super long rants about science magazine etc. Sorry about that.

edit - removed.

I see that panjo admin responded to the questions I had.
    Even after having already read through all of the first 4 pages I still had those questions.

And - I am already a subscriber - and have been for a few years. I have no need or intention to skirt the system.
    Yeah what the heck man, contributors don't even pay the fee- you've been getting this worked up in the other thread for nothing! The more I think about this, the better it is all around, maybe will encourage more donors too. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    Is that they way one would pluralize "bat poop?!"
    Well I was hoping to spend less time scraping bat caves, by phrasing it that way vs. "How much bat poop?", which he might answer in some number of pounds. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by leon2245; 02-17-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    Many ppeople don't use PayPal for moral or political reasons. Why would you support a company who spends money against you?
    No one is forcing you.

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast