Armed security lights

agentlucky

Newly Enlightened
Hi I wanted to reach out to some of you with vast light collections to find something particular I need.

Over the last 8 years I have had to draw my weapon 4 times and every instance it was someone approaching me after being told to stop. Since carrying a high power light over the last 3 I have never needed to do it again, the light is so effective at making someone stop. I currently have a zebra sc600II l2, nitecore p10 and Fenix tk75. I also have a streamlight tlr1 HL (rail mount light) on my home personal firearm. My issue is 2 of the lights, the first is my EDC I carry with my gun, right now a zebra sc600L2 the issue is it doesn't do as good of a job at being blinding bright as the TLR1-HL rail lght which is only 600lm but has some sort of optic instead of a reflector. It isn't a throw or flood it has no spill just consintrates the light tight and is more blinding than the nitecore or zebra. I want to know what's available (EDC/pocket size) that will be even more blinding than the TLR1 HL, sc600l2 or p10. I don't care if its modded or not and price is no issue.

2. my truck light, same problem I'm currently using an olight SR mini mounted to the driver door for fast access to flash someone approaching my window during drops. My tk75 would be perfect for this as it does the best job of any of my lights at completely blinding someone but the head is just a little too big to mount/Velcro the holster on my door. So what would fit that bill that would be as blinding bright/intense in the face or more than the tk75 again modded or not just that the head needs to be at least a little smaller than the fenix . A thrower would be best as sometimes I use it to light something at a distance.

Thanks for the help, Ray

just noticed I might have this in the wrong section, sorry for the mix up

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might check out the V54 throwers (modded by our man Vinh.) The forum for that is here on CPF.

He certainly does love his dedome builds. Dedoming a LED tightens up the throw, which sounds what you're looking for. He also does Fenix lights, like your TK75.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might check out the V54 throwers (modded by our man Vinh.) The forum for that is here on CPF.

He certainly does love his dedome builds. Dedoming a LED tightens up the throw, which sounds what you're looking for. He also does Fenix lights, like your TK75.

I agree that the OP is looking for a throwy light, but I would not recommend an over-driven super-light for a duty application. Vinh is 'the man' for making any light give its absolute maximum, but personally I would not choose a maxed out light for critical applications where a gun might be drawn.

That is just my opinion.

Lights like the new Olight Javelot range, the Amytek Predator and Barracuda are just a few amongst many standard throwers that will do the job without living on the edge.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. Were I in OP's position, I'd just carry my Armytek Predator in the default police/military programming configuration. It's a great strobe unit, as well.

There's videos of people breaking things with impacts from the AT Predator. Available with or without cren bezel.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a small sized light that still has decent throw and blinding lumens, the Nitecore TM06 fits the bill. Also the SR52 mini.

Vinh modified lights aren't anymore prone to failure than stock lights are. I'm sure that Vinh can make mods to not only increase lumens, but increase reliability by potting some of the electronics

agentlucky

Newly Enlightened
if I shine a tm06 in your eyes at 15ft you think it would be more blinding and intense than a tk75 at 15ft? For my truck Im needing suggestions for a light that has an intense concentrated beam with high lumens (like the tk75 or brighter) that has a head at least a little smaller than the tk75.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
if I shine a tm06 in your eyes at 15ft you think it would be more blinding and intense than a tk75 at 15ft? For my truck Im needing suggestions for a light that has an intense concentrated beam with high lumens (like the tk75 or brighter) that has a head at least a little smaller than the tk75.

The TM06 is supposed to be rated at 3800 lumens verses 2900 for the TK75. The Vinh modified TM06 is 4800 lumens with the U3 emitters and dome on. The light is 2" in diameter and 5" long.

Getting into the strobe is just hold down the mode button. If you can look directly into the strobe and not spaz out, you're a good man Gunga Din.

dave101

Newly Enlightened
I think Vinh has a 1800 Lumen G25c2VN. Should do the trick.

darwin

Newly Enlightened
There is a reason why "deer/rabbit in the headlights" is an idiom. It seems that most animals (humans included) are hard wired to freeze up when presented with a bright light in the eyes.

I personally test any new light on myself- only way to be sure. Highest brightness/momentary on of the Ra 170T from 10 feet away is more than enough to make you think twice. Strobe for 10 seconds made me disoriented and semi nauseous for 5 minutes. With both, especially in a dark environment, completely screwed up (seared) my retinas for at least 10 minutes.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TM06 is supposed to be rated at 3800 lumens verses 2900 for the TK75. The Vinh modified TM06 is 4800 lumens with the U3 emitters and dome on. The light is 2" in diameter and 5" long.

Getting into the strobe is just hold down the mode button. If you can look directly into the strobe and not spaz out, you're a good man Gunga Din.

What you see is the lux (intensity), not the lumens (overall output), when the light is shined on you. So the TM06vn will not be more blinding than the TK75.

agentlucky

Newly Enlightened
There is a reason why "deer/rabbit in the headlights" is an idiom. It seems that most animals (humans included) are hard wired to freeze up when presented with a bright light in the eyes.

I personally test any new light on myself- only way to be sure. Highest brightness/momentary on of the Ra 170T from 10 feet away is more than enough to make you think twice. Strobe for 10 seconds made me disoriented and semi nauseous for 5 minutes. With both, especially in a dark environment, completely screwed up (seared) my retinas for at least 10 minutes.

People won't look at a strobe for some reason when the situation happens organically they always turn their face away. They will however look right at me with just a high beam and answer a few questions which is what you want so by the time the patter is over they're seeing purple spots bad. It is a more desired effect. So I never use strobe

agentlucky

Newly Enlightened
What you see is the lux (intensity), not the lumens (overall output), when the light is shined on you. So the TM06vn will not be more blinding than the TK75.

That makes sense. So then I'm looking for a light (thrower) with a head a little smaller than the tk75 but with more or equal lux/ intensity. What would those be?

darwin

Newly Enlightened
People won't look at a strobe for some reason when the situation happens organically they always turn their face away. They will however look right at me with just a high beam and answer a few questions which is what you want so by the time the patter is over they're seeing purple spots bad. It is a more desired effect. So I never use strobe

If they instinctively look the other way with a strobe than you've won. If you can temporarily blind them with a constant high beam you've also won. I've only had to consider using the strobe in potential mugging situations. In those cases, it was quite apparent that the person approaching me was NOT interested in answering my questions, nor was I looking to engage them in conversation.

I did not end up using the strobe in those situations, but the sudden appearance of a sun late at night was enough for the person approaching to think twice, break off and look for an easier target, preferably one who didn't notice them skulking out of the shadows in the first place. My main goal was to keep as much distance as possible while letting them know that their element of surprise was gone.

agentlucky

Newly Enlightened
If they instinctively look the other way with a strobe than you've won. If you can temporarily blind them with a constant high beam you've also won. I've only had to consider using the strobe in potential mugging situations. In those cases, it was quite apparent that the person approaching me was NOT interested in answering my questions, nor was I looking to engage them in conversation.

I did not end up using the strobe in those situations, but the sudden appearance of a sun late at night was enough for the person approaching to think twice, break off and look for an easier target, preferably one who didn't notice them skulking out of the shadows in the first place. My main goal was to keep as much distance as possible while letting them know that their element of surprise was gone.

This is a different situation as an officer and armed guard most people know not to run when suddenly told to freeze and answer a few questions. Also the only reason I would flash someone or draw my weapon is because they are doing something they know they are not suppose to do. If the strobe is running they will turn their head and talk with a solid high beam they will look at me and my light and answer questions. I can identify their face and they are blinded.

darwin

Newly Enlightened
This is a different situation as an officer and armed guard most people know not to run when suddenly told to freeze and answer a few questions. Also the only reason I would flash someone or draw my weapon is because they are doing something they know they are not suppose to do. If the strobe is running they will turn their head and talk with a solid high beam they will look at me and my light and answer questions. I can identify their face and they are blinded.

Yup, I completely understand your reasonings, very logical :). I've used that method when approaching people trying to enter our property at night. To be honest, after first learning a new light, and trying it out, I promptly forget that the strobe function exists.

Where I live, as a citizen, pretty much everything is considered illegal if it can be used for protection. They haven't banned flashlights yet (Lasers, probably by now.). The good news is, there has been a permanent protective detail in this neighborhood for the past few years, things seem to have gotten safer overall. On that note, a good light is useful to politely announce my presence without startling them if I have to walk by at night.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a very interesting thread! I am going to agree with the above poster on a Vinh modified Olight SR52. Vinh will work with you. The size of the light that you are describing that you need sounds dead on like an SR52. My stock SR52 alone has one of the best thrower beams I have ever seen. It lights up in detail as far as my eye can see. Its intensely concentrated hot spot blinds the heck out of me should I look into it...good luck and keep us posted.