New LED Head for Surefire M3 Combat ? Help appreciated - 1st post

Pappabear

Newly Enlightened
I have the old M3 Combat. I have only run the 125 bulb. But I want to convert to a new LED. What after market head sets are available? Where could I look to buy (any links appreciated) ?

Would you change your M3 from yellow to white light?

I apologize if this belongs elsewhere in forum. I tried to post this question already via my iPad but may have lost it.

PB

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I used a Malkoff MD10 to upgrade my M961 - basically, the same bezel, weaponlight version. MD10 is an LED tower that replaces the MN110 lamp and uses the original reflector.

Lighthound sells Lumens Factory Seraph conversion heads, but I don't have any experience with them.

Nailbender makes a D36 conversion, but IIRC you have to remove the bezel ring.

The Malkoff solution seemed simpler to install, and was available directly from the Malkoffdevices website, so I went that direction. I've been very happy with it. Malkoff makes solid military/public safety-grade products, and I use quite a few of them.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a Malkoff MD10 to upgrade my M961 - basically, the same bezel, weaponlight version. MD10 is an LED tower that replaces the MN110 lamp and uses the original reflector.

Lighthound sells Lumens Factory Seraph conversion heads, but I don't have any experience with them.

Nailbender makes a D36 conversion, but IIRC you have to remove the bezel ring.

The Malkoff solution seemed simpler to install, and was available directly from the Malkoffdevices website, so I went that direction. I've been very happy with it. Malkoff makes solid military/public safety-grade products, and I use quite a few of them.

Agree that if the weapon light or M3 will be for "serious" use, get the MD10 and call it a day.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I have the old M3 Combat. I have only run the 125 bulb. But I want to convert to a new LED. What after market head sets are available? Where could I look to buy (any links appreciated) ?

Would you change your M3 from yellow to white light?

I apologize if this belongs elsewhere in forum. I tried to post this question already via my iPad but may have lost it.

PB

You could try what I did here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?397221-My-Surefire-M3T-KX9-hybrid-project

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory sells a LED tower that replaces the incandescent bulb assembly in the stock head. I've got one with a warm tint. Very satisfactory and not expensive. Lighthound sells them.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory sells a LED tower that replaces the incandescent bulb assembly in the stock head. I've got one with a warm tint. Very satisfactory and not expensive. Lighthound sells them.

Just be aware that with some of Lumens Factory's M-series lamps, there are two versions. One is for direct OEM replacement of Surefire bulbs, and the other is for use in the LF M-series Turbo Head only. Wouldn't want you to pick the wrong lamp accidentally.

Pappabear

Newly Enlightened
Guys, thanks a lot. I'll start digging and follow up on how I did. I appreciate it.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
You could always get one of these. XML LED has better spill than a XPG which is the more commonly found.

Last edited:

Pappabear

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty heavily into guns, hence , weapons lights. But you guys blow me away with light product knowledge and industry knowledge. Whole nuther world.

im going to try that MD10. Is that 300 lumens? It just seems crazy, I can buy a defender by Surefire for the same price. Is there any advantage to buying this MD10 and putting into my M3 vs buying the defender.

i already bought a Z59 click tailcap. Hear that sucking sound?

Last edited:

jso902

Enlightened
Tana also makes a good drop in; but I've never tested it with recoil

I think the M3 will have a hotter spot because of the reflector size

Last edited:

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty heavily into guns, hence , weapons lights. But you guys blow me away with light product knowledge and industry knowledge. Whole nuther world.

im going to try that MD10. Is that 300 lumens? It just seems crazy, I can buy a defender by Surefire for the same price. Is there any advantage to buying this MD10 and putting into my M3 vs buying the defender.

i already bought a Z59 click tailcap. Hear that sucking sound?

As for advantage, it kinda depends on your preferences, accessories you already have on hand and whether cost alone is a significant deciding factor. As the responses indicate, there are a lot of options.

I really like the old "lego" system, and had a lot of pieces. It was well worth it for me to upgrade the old 961 to LED for increased durability and battery life. I really liked the light I had and wanted to keep/upgrade it. Malkoff LED upgrades make that possible. Personally, I'd prefer an M3 (w/ Natural HA finish) to one of the new 6PXD defenders. IMHO, neither is optimal for a weaponlight.