FireFly - WARNING

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Be careful of the position of the snap ring that holds the LS module in place. If the snap ring touches the little solder point at the four o'clock position in the picture, it will cause the module to NOT light up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif If the snap ring touches that solder point it appears to be shorting it to ground. I got away with doing that without burning anything up! Be careful!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

firefly2.jpg

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had that problem with the FF too. It just put AA epoxy on ALL of the positive contact points to prevent a short.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I recall this problem being warned about by the maker of the FireFly before (DSpeck). I'd bet it was somewhere in the depths of the FireFly thread.

I solved the problem on mine by sticking a Dr. Scholl's corn cushion on the end of mine. This serves not only to hold the sandwich/snap ring in place, but also cures battery rattle too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I did mention it somewhere in the FF thread. Please be careful when installing the snap-ring.

I should also point out here that it's a good idea, when changing batteries, to push the snap ring firmly into place behind the module. This is to make sure the front surface is seated properly against the copper, ensurings the proper heat-sinking/grounding. Just run the end of a thumbnail around the snap-ring, pressing in towards the module. Not a big deal, but it's a good thing to do to ensure the light continues to work in tip-top fashion.

Doug.