Pocket 1x18650 thrower for walking country roads at night

beastman

Newly Enlightened
I have a Zebralight SC600 MKII and LOVE the size, the massive lumens, and the multi-output.

However, I took it walking the other night and there were some very dark roads that I wanted to look WAAAY down the road. In order to see far enough I had to crank the SC600 up to turbo and then it was so floody that I really couldn't see distance very well.

Is there a light that is similar in output and size to the SC600, but is a thrower? I realize the head would be bigger, but I don't want to carry something big like my TK75.

I have an old 4sevens G5 that I took out tonight that I liked the form factor and throw, but I want more light. I guess my Zebralight has spoiled me in the lumens department

Any suggestions?

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight M2X throws up to 810m, though the head diameter is 63mm. The new de-domed M22 (not sure when it will be released) has a 40mm head and throws up to 470m, and the new M20SX throws up to 370m with a 35.5mm head.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on Armytek

But, the Sunwayman P25C looks interesting. It shows a 208 meter effective range. Never owned one, just saw the light a few days back and it caught my eye. Turbo is 1000 Lumen, but it has a 300 Lumen constant high.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
EC21 is pretty pocketable. Not sure if it throws more than the ZL as max is only 400 lumens but it's XP-G emitter.

beastman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your posts.

I have looked at the responses. It seems that while most of the lights here will do 650 to 1000 lumens in turbo, they all step down to something like 250 - 400 lumen pretty quickly. I have a 4Sevens G5 that does about 350 lumens for a decent amount of time. Am I right in thinking that I am not getting much of an upgrade with these lights? Or am I wrong?

I took my TK75 out tonight and DANG that thing is awesome. I would love its capabilities in a small package but, well, physics. :)

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does seem typical for pocket sized lights to step down to around 400 lumens after a relatively brief period. I didn't realize that Armyteks step down (never seen one in person).

What's your budget? They're far from inexpensive, but the Oveready Mini-Turbo Head seems to throw as far as a Malkoff Hound Dog or Surefire P3X Fury. It runs in direct drive and runs off a single Li-Ion, on a Surefire 6P, C2, etc body.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the XinTD C8.

You can get it with a choice of XM-L2 or XP-L and a choice of tints.

It's also available as an XP-G2 if you really want throw in a small package.

wjv

Enlightened
ArmyTek Predator V2.5 (NOT Pro) as the std model has a longer run time than the pro.

The Predator will easily fit in a pocket.

From the ArmyTek website for the Predator (now v3 version)

Pro
Head diameter: 41mm
Maximal light output: 700 LED lumens
Beam distance: 450m
Run time for maximal mode: 1h 20min
Stabilization of constant brightness regardless of frost and low battery voltage: FULL

Will give the full lumens out for al long as it can

Standard
Head diameter: 41mm
Maximal light output: 700 LED lumens
Beam distance: 450m
Run time for maximal mode: 2h 50min
Stabilization of constant brightness regardless of frost and low battery voltage: STEP

Will reduce the output in a series of steps as the battery drains

So you get to choose. Light output stability or Run time

Last edited:

pinhead

Newly Enlightened
MTE H6-1s would be my recommendation. Or one of the Lumapower flashlights with Turbo Force Head. :)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im going to throw in a suggestion for the Fenix TK32. I know it is no Javelot but it is still a 400 meter light. Not sure about bezel diameters between the Javelot and the TK32 but I think the Javelot is wider. Just going off of my experience with the TK32 which has been freaking fantastic. It has an amazing beam. Barely ever need to leave the 400 lumen high level. Comes with a nice sheath and usable RGB LED's.

Must admit though the Javelot is a whole new breed with off the charts throw in any mode setting it seems. With the Javelot you also have the option of buying an extender tube for a 2x or 4x set up for those long walks. Looking forward to getting my own soon....good luck

beastman

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate all the responses. I have been looking at reviews for all the lights mentioned.

One of the things I notice when walking is that there is a huge gap between Turbo and the next level down on my Zebralight. Its also so floody that I need to kick it to turbo to see across a field and check for critters, etc.

I have noticed a lot of the lights mentioned here have a huge drop off between turbo and the next lower level. For instance, the TK32 mentioned above (looks like a great light, I love Fenix) is 900+ lumens or 400 the next level down. I am wondering if there is a light with more gradations between those levels.

I also have been looking at the Nitecore SRT-6. It seems to be a "sorta" thrower with much more spill. What intrigues me is the fact that you get 900 lumens, 1 lumen, and ANYTHING in between. Anyone have experience with this light? How does it throw? I looked for reviews and have seen some, but most focus on the SRT-7. For comparison, I am currently using a Zebralight 600 mkII, which "throws" by simply dumping huge amounts of light out the front. I also am using a 4Sevens G5, which throws pretty well and is a 350 Lumen light.

To hopefully be more clear, I am looking for a pocket sized, throwy light. It doesn't have to be the "throw king" or anything. Mostly want to see 150 - 250 yards down the road or out into a field to see whats out there. Also using to light in front of my feet so I don't fall.

Again, thanks for all the info. I enjoy this forum.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Predator pro is smaller than the big lights but bigger than the small ones. It does not step.down and you will see as far as you want. It is also built like a brick

robert.t

Enlightened
I have noticed a lot of the lights mentioned here have a huge drop off between turbo and the next lower level. For instance, the TK32 mentioned above (looks like a great light, I love Fenix) is 900+ lumens or 400 the next level down. I am wondering if there is a light with more gradations between those levels.

Visually that isn't really as big a jump as it sounds. I believe it is 50% brighter.

Depending on how it's set up I think the jump on the SC600 is something like 70 lumens to 1000 lumens, which really is an insane jump (~4x brighter).

beastman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, maybe you are right. I am basing a lot of this on my Zebralight (which I love, but it isn't cutting this use-case). The Zebralight has a HUGE gap between turbo and the next mode down

Walking with the Zebralight is great until you want to see a bit down the road, then you have to really crank it up. Then you have no more night vision and going back to medium (or whatever) seems like its dark again

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between the 400 lumen high and 900+lumen turbo modes of my TK32 are indeed pretty noticeable simply because the beam the light throws is so concentrated. Still at the 400 lumen level the beam is still so solid and concentrated picking out things at 100 yards isnt a problem. The TK32 has tested out here on the forum to actually be putting out 950 lumens out the front which is pretty darn impressive. I dont know if the TK32 is thermally regulated or has a timed step down but I have used my TK32 plenty on turbo and have yet to see it step down at all. Heat sinking on the light is excellent.

I do not own a Predator Pro but have read nothing but rave reviews about it on the forum. From what I understand it is a surprisingly small light that has the throw of a light twice its size. Would love to try one one day...as for my SC600 MkII L2 it is a true modern classic but for me is only useful for out to 30 yards at best. When I know Im going to need to EDC a truly pocketable powerful light that has above average for its size throw I grab my ET TX25C2 without a second thought though...

Jvvjvv

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?382873-TX25C2vn-Pocket-Throw-King

I see you're still wading through these........you, and the others, are pretty right about most of the small lights, starting off in turbo or blast, or whatever they're called and running for a very short period of time at that level. I've seen some ads say a few seconds or 1 or 2minutes.

I took my TX26C2vn out for the dog walk tonight and thought about this thread. I ran it on high for about 12 minutes before it stepped down to med. clicked it back to high and it stayed there for another 10 minutes. He re figures the UI to LL, L, M, and high. All with button push. For a pocket light, the throw is quite impressive. Just my 2 cents again.

Jack

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best single 18650 thrower on the market is the Olight M2X-UT Javelot. An extension tube is available so that you can run two 18650 batteries. For $100, you can't go wrong.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the Olight may be an awesome thrower, it's hardly similar in size to an SC600.