Large LED Torch

ryanpatterson

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and i am looking for a large LED torch in the UK. I currently have an LED Lenser x21. I'm not sure how popular these are on here but i have found it to be decent, but quite expensive. I have several of the smaller LED lensers and they are fantastic. I am looking something new as i have been having problems with it recently. I think it is overheating as it cuts to a very low output after around 20 minutes use. it will then work after around 10 minutes.

I am looking something to be used for walking in forests but mostly in mountains and large areas. I want something with a good flood but also has a good throw of around 700 meters to light up valleys and mountain sides. I'm looking to spend around £300 but could go slightly more for the right torch.

So far i have been looking at the new LED Lenser X21r.2 and the Fenix RC40. I really like the adjustable beam pattern on my x21 as it covers a wide spread or quite a focused area. But from reading a bit on here they do not sound like a popular choice. I would like something rechargeable that i can use a few battery packs with on long walks. It also must have different modes to conserve battery when walking and be 3000+ lumens

I am looking to buy something in the next few weeks and would value some reviews, recommendations or help from some more experienced members on here :)

Thanks, Ryan

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
then buy it! Next buy several high quality 18650 batteries and enjoy the show! For Example: I run mine on FENIX ARB-L2P 3200 mAh cells.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK75 with up to the maximum tube extensions for run time which I believe is 4(?). Acebeam who? As for recharging just precharge some packs of 18650's to bring with you. All these high end lights will get hot and stepdown. 20 minutes is actually very good. LED Lenser is not very popular around here because they are vastly overpriced. Fenix RC40 uses the older XM-L emitters hence why it is not popular around here. I have several Lensers but havnt used one in a looooong time because LED tech seems to have blown past them. But hey if you like it you like it Im sticking with the TK75 as my recommendation good luck

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ven, lol for real!

I have a stock TK75 and a stock X60 and X60M. IMHO: The X60 smokes the TK75 out the box. Now, the X60M just takes it to another level. When it comes to these two Plunger Lights, the Acebeam rules.

ryanpatterson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I do like the Led lensers but totally agree with the price being to steep and i just feel like i could get alot better for that money. The Fenix rc40 attracted me because of its waterproofing also as it would be good for wet weather hikes. But i did notice they are using an older emitter. Is this a bad thing? or is it just outdated now? im only really getting into this sort of thing so i dont know that much yet lol Will check out the acebeam now :)

Thanks, Ryan

ven

Flashaholic
Hey Ryan,i am in the minority too :laughing: i like some lenser and have a few,in fact one of my fav is the t7.2 ...........

Fenix in general has great build quality,good UI and a wide choice of lights. Acebeams build may not quite be up their with Fenix,but imo its not far behind.

The tk75 is a great light,with extension its a large light with a very good run time(as mentioned more than 1 ext can be used,total of 3 including the original body) but it would be quite ridiculous in size :laughing: heck,just take someone out with you to hold the other end :laughing:

Depending on how long your uses are,would depend on what would make a better suited choice. The UI of the x60m for example is via a control ring,"infinite brightness" basically means you can dial in the exact output,be it 2000lm or 5488lm etc etc (examples and would need a meter to measure my latter example :laughing:).

The rc40 is a beast of a light!!! Be aware that no matter what the max output is,it will still either step down or need to be turned down due to heat. Being a more substantial light,it does allow longer uses on higher outputs due to better heat dissipation.

For an awesome alternative,the tk75vn killer throw,this with an extension kit would blow away the lenser and in cost too.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?374328-WTS-TK75vn-4400L

Bonus of the tk75vn would be at times when you may not want to have a HUGE light,you could remove the extension tube(providing you decide you need one),other HUGE lights dont give that benefit. Also vinhs mods gets the best,not only a current bump,but improved heat sinking,wires etc and 2nd to none customer service.

Not sure if he has any x60mvn in stock or could get one,but it would be worth an email imho once decided on which light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386489-X60Mvn-Brightest-Portable-Searchlight

Due to these lights having fixed reflectors(none zoomable heads) improves the ipx rating over zoomable lights by reducing any chance of water ingress. You will also find these specific lights have a good balance of flood and throw,so no need for a zoomable which does loose you output due to design. The fenix has a higher ipx rating of ipx8(submersion of up to 2m) over the acebeam xp6,but the acebeam will still be happy in heavy down pours etc............better than the lensers ip54 which is dust protected and splash.

What would swing it for me is the acebeams mtg2 emitters,they have a great neutral tint that brings colours out better than cooler tints in woodland/valley/mountainous areas for example(your uses). Everyone has preferences,mine is towards cooler for example. I find the mtg2 leds meet and surpasses my tint expectations:D

Good luck with your choice,i would certainly be looking at a more edc type back up to. Sometime it may not be convenient to be wielding a HUGE light ,or if any issue arises(lost/broke/cells died) you have a back up for getting home.

Just a thought;)

Last edited:

ryanpatterson

Newly Enlightened
That is a fantastic response ven. Thanks very much for taking the time to type all that :)

I have been looking at the reviews of the x60m and the flood looks fantastic. It appears to be a really nice neutral light which i would rather have over a cool tint. However i don't think it has the throw that i am wanting. Does the x60mvn have a better throw? or is it just added heat sink? What are the differences between the x60 and x60m, is it just an updated version? Also would it be better to get the unmodified version as im wanting something very reliable. I do have an edc with me too and a headtorch for map reading but i want something reliable that will be able to take a bit of rain and abuse from walking and still function perfectly.

Just from reading on the forum the tk75 appears to be quite a popular choice. However i think the rc40 would really suit my needs. But the older emitter is not so good. Does vinh mod these at all? It has the throw that im looking for with good flood too and the build quality appears to be very good.

I am terrible at making decisions but i just want to get all the information i need first before spending any money :)

Ryan

ven

Flashaholic
Welcome and any time:),sure others have other recommendations too, I just ask to let us know your choice,impressions and reasons in choice as will help others in future;)

The throw from the x60m will be sufficient,you will need binocs to benefit from much further throw. Its the huge wall of neutral light from the huge head housing 3 mtg2 leds. Flood all around which is very useful in open terrain..............

The x60 has 5 emmiters,cooler tint and a beast which has better throw. This is down to the large mtg2 led of the x60m,its more a flood with sufficient throw type led. The smaller the led,the better the throw,but less flood. More to it than that,shallow refelctors aid flood,deep and wide aid throw...........happy medium gas a good mix and for me personally far more useful than having a spot light 1000m away i cant see anyway.

Not sure if linked but hey,here we go just in case
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ebeam-X60-amp-X60M-brief-review-and-beamshots

mmanda iirc the name has some awesome pics of the x60m,i have spent a 10 minute unsuccessful search for the thread,maybe someone could post it if found.

Depending on how much light you want at 700m is a big ask being honest,really a dedicated thrower would be the way to go.

For that the tk61vn v4 would blow you away
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?390749-TK61vn-V4

Still has useful spill,the extensions are the same as the tk75 so if you end up with either or both,they can be used on each light.

x60mvn or tk75vn killer throw would be down to my 2 lights of choice,you will have to decide on what suits you. With either choice you wont be disappointed!!

I honestly think as i can tell you like your lights,your asking questions and have not disappeared yet(great)that . So with my statement,i am pretty positive there will be more lights coming your way in the future. The quest for the "best" or "perfect" light never ends:D

And yes both will blow the lenser out of the water................and still work after :laughing:

;)

Last edited:

ryanpatterson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the reply. Yes im here for the long haul lol Im on here to learn as i just really love a good torch and have a thing for really well built and machined things. Its nearly an obsession for most things that i have now lol

I know im asking for alot from what i have been saying. And there is probably no torch built yet that would match the specs i require lol This will probably result in me buying quite a few of these in the next few years lol

For the flood the x60mvn is perfect. I would like a bit more throw as it can be useful for locating points in the mountains. I do like the smaller lensers still an edc's. But i dont think i will be buying a big one again.

I will check out some of the other options you posted. But i am leaning towards the x60mvn. I still really like the fenix rc40 as it has a decent throw and flood, is waterproof and has decent battery life. But the x60mvn appears to have the colour temperature that i like for mountain walking. How would i order one of these? Does vanh sell them directly or would i have to buy one and send it to him?

Thanks

Norm

Retired Administrator
Ven your post has been deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

ven

Flashaholic
Sorry Norm PM sent:)

Hi Ryan,yes if you decide you can order direct from him,check his thread and best to email rather than PM .He is very busy but usually gets back quick,being weekend it may take a little longer.

You seem really set on the rc40,shame you cant try it out or either out first ,as its too expensive for regrets . However regrets i can not foresee with either,just dont want you thinking "should have gone for the ******** flashlight instead".

My advice is just read up on both as much as possible,ask questions in the threads of the lights,anything your not sure of, get info off various owners for an all round picture.

ryanpatterson

Newly Enlightened
Yea I think its because it was the first one I had researched a bit and I found this forum while looking. It offers a better throw but its hard to pass on the sheer output of the x60m. I know its probably nowhere near the claimed 10000 lumen output but its still a massive amount more than the others I was thinking about. Again the x60 has a better throw which would be useful. Its a pity there isn't anyone over here with the three I am looking at so that I could try them and see for myself lol

I have been thinking about an HID also but they all appear to be very expensive.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note, have you contacted Led Lenser directly about your X21? See if they'll fix it under warranty.

The X21R is a fab light, but IMO too expensive. Although there is nothing else on the market that can offer the same flood/throw combo of the zoomable TIR optics it uses.

ryanpatterson

Newly Enlightened
No have not contacted them. Its a few years old now and has been through quite a bit. Its been a decent torch but now that I have been thinking about replacing it i think there are better out there that are less expensive. I know the new x21R.2 is out but i just think i can get something better for that price

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without wishing to sound cheeky, what do you plan to do with your old X21?

I agree, as great as the zoom/flood beam is of the X21R.2, the price is scary high.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK75 with up to the maximum tube extensions for run time which I believe is 4(?). Acebeam who? As for recharging just precharge some packs of 18650's to bring with you. All these high end lights will get hot and stepdown. 20 minutes is actually very good. LED Lenser is not very popular around here because they are vastly overpriced. Fenix RC40 uses the older XM-L emitters hence why it is not popular around here. I have several Lensers but havnt used one in a looooong time because LED tech seems to have blown past them. But hey if you like it you like it Im sticking with the TK75 as my recommendation good luck

I meant to chip in earlier with this info on the TK75 (a link to my review as this includes testing of the extended runtime kits):

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ntime-Kits-(2-4-6-8-10-12x18650-or-4-8xCR123)

ryanpatterson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review Subwoofer, Will give it a read now :)

As for the x21 i will probably still use it for work and things. It still works ok but i just want something that will have a decent output for longer and withstand some of the weather conditions i would be walking in. I just dont trust the x21 in anything wet lol

ryanpatterson

Newly Enlightened
Thinks for the offer :) But I will just be keeping it for work etc. After only being on the forum for a few days i can already see myself buying far too many torches in the next few months lol Im actually really liking the TK 75 at the minute. Is there a newer version with 2900 lumens? Still thinking about the x60mvn too lol

Sent Venhn an email there asking what he could do for me :) I have a feeling if i buy one from him it will be the start of me buying alot more lol