ThorFire VG10 Tactical Flashlight review

nofearek9

Newly Enlightened
Today i got the VG10 from ThorFire
description from the manufacturer :
ThorFire VG10 CREE XM-L2 LED Flashlight Tactical Switch 4 Mode 847 Lumens
Description
This is upgraded version of VG10. High mode is higher, low mode is lower. 847 Lumens is bright enough for camping, hiking, searching, hunting and most outdoor activities. Also the lowest mode: moonlight is low enough to see the led directly by naked eye. Moonlight is great for reading; checking on the baby in the crib; trying to illuminate/signal something without wanting to be seen from further away (tactical applications); illuminating something without ruining your night vision; working in a light sensitive environment (dark room, biology labs etc). Furthermore, VG10 is great for emergency use because of the tactical switch for momentary-on. With a removable clip and lanyard, it's very portable. Take it as EDC flashlight, no matter where you are, it's your most reliable friend.

Key Features
LED: Cree XM-L2 LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time. Dimensions: approx 5.28''(Length) * 1''(Body Diameter) * 1.28''(Head Diameter). Aircraft quality aluminum body structure. Waterproof to IPX-8 standard Forward tail switch for momentary-on. Comes with one 18650 battery(installed) & usb charger.
Operation
Turn on /off Easily click the tail switch to turn on / off the light. Change modes When the light is on, turn off the light and then turn on in 2 seconds to change output mode. When the light is off, quickly tab and release the switch to change mode and click into the mode you need. Memory function Keep the light off over 2 seconds and then turn on, the output mode will get back to the same mode.

Now about the flashlight , first about the shipping it arrived in 2 weeks in my country which is fast
image.jpg

the package
image.jpg

image.jpg

whats inside the box ? a small surprise i didnt expect to see a usb charger,i tested the charger with a unprotected battery it goes green when it reached 4,19v
also i liked a lot that it has the option for 16340 batteries
image.jpg

spare parts , oring ,switch and a glass lense (this is nice cause lot of people break their lenses often)
image.jpg

inside the flashlight ,there was another surprise,a battery
image.jpg

18650 2200 with protection
(now this package is ideal for someone new to the word of led flashlights ,will get everything he need ,flashlight , battery and charger)
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

some photos from the body of the flashlight,it has a really nice matt black color ,the thread are nice coated and lubed,also it tailstands perfect.
image.jpg

the reflector compared to a P60 reflector . the reflector is same size like a p60 which give a really nice beam
image.jpg

the led is on a 20mm start ,with thick wires and thermal paste under the star
image.jpg

the center ring is nice desing a very very thin plastic
how much boes it pull ?
from a AW 18650IMR i got H:2,7Amps M:1Amp L:0.07Amp
nice spaced modes and dont forget it has moon mode as well and remembers last mode set.for sure a flashlight build have in mind tactical use.
i really liked this flashlight its the first i used with forward switch and i liked it ,you get a tactical p60 size flashlight with the new xm-l2 which has a nice cool white beam,overall its a very good build flashlight.
the only thing i will change is copper pcb cause of my sickness in mods :)
for just "$29.90":this package is bargain,as said above this package is the best for people new to led flashlights and not only.
another feature i found that when the battery goes below 3.2v the flashlight goes to moon mode and blinks

some better photos of the vg10
image.jpg

from the driver photo i guess there will be a way to program it without open it ,but i am not sure ,i did not managed to remove the driver ,its seemer pressed fit with the brass ring.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ceiling test

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to bad for 30 bucks! I strongly suggest ditching the 2200mah 18650 it came with and picking up a name brand 18650 of no less than 2900mah. I doubt that 2200mah cell it came with is actually 2200mah to begin with. 2200mah is hardly enough capacity to power the light to specified output and runtimes for long at all. Having a user interface that requires you to go through the modes by quickly turning the light on and off is damn frustrating I have a Jetbeam like that I just leave on high all the time. Nice low voltage warning function on this light. Reflector looks decent. In all actuality this is most likely a 500 lumen light at best which is still not bad at all for 30 bucks. Never heard of Thorfire before so thanks for sharing.

nofearek9

Newly Enlightened
the battery when it was full charger (4.19v) after 27 minutes on high shoes 3.16v , i dont know if this will help estimate the capacity.
thorfire seem to be a new but their flashlights appear to be solid , they also have an interesting zoomie ,usb rechargeable.

another nice review here (measured @ 900 lumens ,nice results)

Last edited:

nofearek9

Newly Enlightened
battery protection kick around 3 amps and is about 2400 mah ,as you can see in m4dm4x review

gray devil

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Thorfire VG10 I ordered from Amazon in the USA. $26.99 shipped with no battery.

The body is robust and fells very well built. Mine did not come with the lanyard attachment ring, instead it came with a very nice, aluminum tactical ring in its place. I was very impressed with the ring as it is threaded and can be tightened in between the body of the light and the tail cap. The supplied lanyard has a clip that clips to the tail cap. The light weighed 133 grams without a battery.

I put an Olight 3400 mah battery in it and began comparing it with other lights I own. First off, there was a problem with the switch. When I depressed and released it, the mode would change on release. Needless to say, I was not very happy with this. I figured I would change the switch with the supplied spare and see if it would correct the issue. When I went to remove the switch retaining ring, I noticed it was loose. I simply tightened the switch retaining ring and the problem was solved. The switch does not have the best feel to it, it feels a little on the cheap side.

The light has a memory which works to retain the last setting used. Changing through the modes functions in decending order. The light/brightness is ok, it does not compare with my Nitecore MH25 or MH2C, but it is ok. I would say it is about 60% of the light output of the MH25 on turbo (not a scientific analysis here, just my observation). I also got a Thorfire C8s. The C8s is still not as bright as my MH25, but it is brighter than the VG10. The C8s is nice for the price; $19.99 shipped with a cheap battery, however does not have the robust physical feel of the VG10.

Last edited:

beggindogs

Newly Enlightened
Just for fun I got a VG10 from ebay ($23) with holster, quality lanyard, spare Os, charger & much to my surprise, a 3000mah Thorfire battery. Seems well built, lumens appear to me to be about as stated. I'm happy. Now just waiting for my Condor L6 and my Thorfire S70. Great reviews on both