How do you change out the battery on a Nitecore Tube?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not designed to be replaceable. Unless you have some great connections, I doubt that you could find a replacement battery for under the $10 a new Tube would cost. If anyone would know, it would be Vinh. Drop him an IM and see if he knows of a source.

Dubois

Enlightened
I'm curious as to why you would want to replace it. Have you somehow killed the battery it came with?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it only came out last fall, I'm not sure anyone knows. I would assume at least the standard 500 cycles that we get told to expect with a cell phone or tablet, if not more. More than long enough to pay back the cost of the Tube itself in not having to replace primary cells.

The whole idea of the Tube is a very small utility light suitable for use on a keychain or lanyard, that will normally be used in its low mode, but has a brighter mode available at need. It was made rechargeable to keep the super small form factor. The only primary cells that would come close to letting it be that size would be button cells and/or LR41 type cells. I know that if Nitecore had used either of those I wouldn't have bought it, and I think their marketing and design people were smart enough to realize that. As it is, they have created a very nice little niche for themselves that anyone else will have a hard time competing against.

emp13

Newly Enlightened
Who sells the 100mah li-ion battery for the Nitecore Tube?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
As was noted several times above, it really isn't designed to be user replaceable, and as such, it is not sold separately. Why do you ask?

I'd look at the batteries designed for micro RC helicopters. It might be about that size. I've had issues ordering these though (for helicopters), several have been DOA.

emp13

Newly Enlightened
I thought some of the flashlight modders on this board would know about the battery in the Nitecore Tube.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing to keep in mind is that Nitecore might have had a custom cell designed to fit their specifications. That would make it almost impossible to find a replacement that would fit. I don't think it likely that they did, since I don't believe the volume they are selling would justify the extra expense, but one never knows.

emp13

Newly Enlightened
The battery will not last forever...some will fail earlier than others.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
How close to the price of an entire new nitecore tube, would you be willing to pay for a replacement battery?

scout24

Flashaholic
Leon hit the nail on the head. I think the easiest and most cost effective way is to replace the entire light, recycling what is possible... Does the warranty cover the battery?

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the price of a new Tube, I would just change out the entire Nitecore Tube for another.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I got in early on ordering the Tube, I only paid $5 each. I doubt that I can find a battery for that price much less what my time is worth. If I get a collection of lights with bad batteries, I might look into it, otherwise, int the junk drawer it goes.

emp13

Newly Enlightened
I doubt people will recycle the Tube. The Tube will be landfill. Not eco friendly. You can't get the Tube for $5 any more. I'm going to search for a single AAA flashlight where I can use a single rechargeable AAA.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're a throw away society. That's what brings new products to market. The Tube works well on a jacket zipper pull. I doubt that I would a AAA DQG light on the pull, thought I have one clipped to a shirt pocket.

You are correct about purchasing other Tubes for $5, however I've got a few left over from Christmas with the retractable micro USB cords.