Are Lithium primary cells safe for most electronics?

ROBERT29

Newly Enlightened
Tired of leaking alkalines, I've thought about switching to regular lithium (not li-ion) primary cells. Especially in devices I use for emergencies. I keep the batteries in them unused for long periods of time.

However I've heard that lithium's have a bit higher voltage than alkaline's and some electronics cannot handle this. My Coast headlamp, for example. The manufacturer says the higher voltage and capacity could damage the light. I checked the no-load voltage of a AA lithium and alkaline - both new. The lithium was 1.8V, the alkaline was 1.6V. Both batteries listed their voltage at 1.5V.

Aside from some incandescent Mag-lights I have lithium's in some portable radios (a weather and AM/FM.) Are the radios ok? Can you use these batteries only in things that specifically say lithium's can be used?

In short, what are the rules for using these things?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use primary lithium (9 volt or 1.7 volt AA) for low current smoke detector, remote controls, keyboard/mouse, digital multi meter, clock, glove box flashlight and ....
Long life, reliable, no leak and light weight.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primary lithium 1.5 volt cells should be safe for most electronic items. They are a direct replacement as far as most companies are concerned.

Taken from the Led Lenser FAQ section:
"Can my LED LENSER use disposable lithium AA and AAA batteries?
Yes, disposable lithium AA and AAA batteries batteries can be used in LED LENSER lights. Disposable lithium batteries can optimize battery life (especially in cold conditions), and reduce weight."

Your other option is using LSD (low self discharge) Nickel metal hydride batteries, (Eneloops) though the voltage is lower than the alkaline battery.

My lights that are AA and AAA powered I've switched over to Eneloops. My 9 volt items like multimeters, stud finders and such, I've got primary lithium's installed.

ROBERT29

Newly Enlightened
Primary lithium 1.5 volt cells should be safe for most electronic items. They are a direct replacement as far as most companies are concerned.

Taken from the Led Lenser FAQ section:
"Can my LED LENSER use disposable lithium AA and AAA batteries?
Yes, disposable lithium AA and AAA batteries batteries can be used in LED LENSER lights. Disposable lithium batteries can optimize battery life (especially in cold conditions), and reduce weight."

Your other option is using LSD (low self discharge) Nickel metal hydride batteries, (Eneloops) though the voltage is lower than the alkaline battery.

My lights that are AA and AAA powered I've switched over to Eneloops. My 9 volt items like multimeters, stud finders and such, I've got primary lithium's installed.

I alway thought lithium's were a direct replacement too.
I've seen some posts on this site where they suspect their LED devices may have been fried by disposable lithium's. And the device maker of my headlamps (Coast brand) recommended lithium's not be used. They cited voltage and capacity (why capacity??) as the problem.

I'm wondering - LED devices have some actual chips/circuitry in them. Chips can be "touchy" sometimes when it comes to voltages - which might explain it. Other devices may be ok.

I don't consider the extra 0.2V of an unloaded AA lithium to be excessive (that's about 13% higher.)
Currently I'm using Ni-MH's in the headlamps.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have to think the higher quality devices should be able to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Test-Review-of-Energizer-Ultimate-Lithium-AA

In the above linked test of AA Energizer Lithiums, HKJ stated: "These batteries cannot always replace alkaline, some equipment depends on the weak high current ability of alkaline!"

I do not know the specifics of the equipment he is referring to. I have not had problems with using primary lithiums in various equipment, but apparently there can be exceptions.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robert,

I am under the impression that Led Lenser makes most of the lights that are sold under the Coast name. I've gone thru the Coast website and have found nothing indicating that lithium primary batteries are a no-no.
I attached the informational sheet from Led Lenser FAQ indicating that there was no issue with lithium cells and their lights.

Older electronics had problems using NiCads and NiMH batteries due to lower voltages. That was years ago, not today.