Approved Family of Flashlights List (AFFL) Updated Version?

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Is there an up to date version of the TEAM SOLDIER CERTIFIED GEAR - Approved Family of Flashlights List (AFFL)that I can download?
I have many Surefire lights and among other brands like Streamlight and I am curious if it is on this list.

I need a list of all flashlights (any brand), that are on the AFFL list.

Thanks!

Berneck1

Enlightened
Yeah, I have never heard of that. What is the criteria to be on such a list?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I was able to find, they are finalizing a list. Given how efficient the military is, we should be able to view it in a few years. It looks like they started the process in 2012.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. There is no newer list, although I did find reference to the military working on one. That is why my response above says what it does...

nbp

Flashaholic
The requirements don't appear to be all that hard to meet, many flashlights would meet them, and you could certainly just check the specs on your lights to see if they would pass. I'm guessing many manufacturers don't care to go through the hassle of sending them dozens of lights to test to get on a list no one knows or cares about. Just my thought after a quick glance at the material.

gsr

Enlightened
It seems the Team Soldier Certified program has pretty much died. The Approved Family of Flashlights List was officially killed in June of 2010.

Last edited:

Stream

Enlightened
After looking at some of the lights on the list, I have to say I am very fascinated by the GERBER RECON M-II. Very cool thing with the built in color filters, but what fascinates me the most are the runtime and output specs. Look at this review on youtube from gerber-tools:

Can you imagine a 40 lumen LED light being able to last MORE than 60 minutes on two CR123 primaries?! :faint: The product description states that "This is quite a feat and is only possible thanks to the regulating circuitry inside the flashlight, which is designed to provide consistent output."

Now, if by "this is quite a feat" they mean being able to find an LED chip that is so hugely power-hungry and inefficient that it manages to drain two CR123 primaries in just over 60 minutes while only producing 40 lumens of light, then I would agree: that is quite a feat! And all this can be yours for the low, low price of $110! :barf:

Last edited:

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire KROMA is on that list.
And was thinking of getting the Kroma, but the price is just a joke considering the fact it has 130 lumens maximum output.

But who wants to pay $430 for a light with a max. light output of 130 lumens???
That's a JOKE!!!!
http://www.surefire.com/kroma-milspec.html

There are other lights out there for cheaper price with even higher lumens than 130.

Of course, that kind of a high price, all your paying for is the rugged and durable quality design. That's basically the fact.
But for 130 lumens, that's still too much...

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sine you've apparently been to the product's page it should be obvious that the Kroma is not an ordinary white light with 130 lumens....the likely reason for part of the extra cost.

If you don't want to buy it, then feel free to choose another off the "list" that's not such a joke.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by not an ordinary white light???
Please explain this.

I have many Surefire lights, and the one thing that I noticed about them is that they have a greenish color to their beams...

nbp

Flashaholic
What do you mean by not an ordinary white light???
Please explain this.

I have many Surefire lights, and the one thing that I noticed about them is that they have a greenish color to their beams...

Did you read the description? The Kroma isn't just some cheap on/off white light. You have white light, plus three color flood beams, and IR ability. Plus a selector ring and tactically correct tailcap. There's a fair amount of technology in there.

Plus, having many Surefire lights, you no doubt know that their quality is among the best an their prices are premium. This is a surprise?

The Kroma®​ MilSpec is a dual-output flashlight that also provides two distinct beam types and four spectrum choices. Uses a virtually indestructible power-regulated primary LED and a Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens to produce a 4-lumen white low beam or a brilliant 130-lumen white spot beam—more than eight times the light output of a big two-D-cell flashlight, and enough to temporarily blind and disorient an aggressor by impairing his night-adapted vision. Secondary LEDs produce low-output flood beams in red, blue, yellow-green and infrared, letting you preserve your own night vision (red, blue, and yellow-green), navigate outdoors without disturbing wildlife (red, which many animals can't see), or provide invisible illumination for night vision devices (infrared). The no-look selector ring lets you instantly choose color or IR output. The Kroma's tactically-correct two-stage pushbutton tailcap switch activates the light: press for momentary-on in your selected color mode, press further and always get the high-output white spot beam; twist to get constant-on low beam in your selected color/IR mode, twist further to select the constant-on high-output white spot beam.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Did you read the description? The Kroma isn't just some cheap on/off white light. You have white light, plus three color flood beams, and IR ability. Plus a selector ring and tactically correct tailcap. There's a fair amount of technology in there.

Plus, having many Surefire lights, you no doubt know that their quality is among the best an their prices are premium. This is a surprise?

Ok ok ok....I made the choice now and want to get my hands on this one as well :) :) :)
Another addition to my collection

Also to be realistic here, Surefire lights are quality made the built to last for tough conditions. So really, your actually paying for the price on the rugged design.

Stream

Enlightened
The Kroma is a better thought out design than the Recon M-II that I posted about above. It actually uses colored LEDs instead of the flimsy filter mechanism on the Recon, which tends to break easily according to some reviews by servicemen. I doubt the Kroma breaks as easily, and is probably a better choice if you need a light like this. That being said, you would have to REALLY, REALLY need a light like this to fork out $430 for it--either that or just be a crazy Surefire collector with lots of disposable income. I would also research what else is out there in terms of multicolored lights. The Kroma may be rugged, but I bet if Fenix made a similar light it would be equally rugged and retail for about half the price.

Personally, I actually kinda like the Recon M-II. It sort of reminds me of an old 2D tin flashlight with built in filters that I have laying around somewhere. The filter mechanism is broken, though, and I haven't gotten around to taking it apart yet. I would buy the Recon if only it had a half-decent white LED that could at least put out 130 lumens for about two hours. Does anyone know what kind of emitter the Recon M-II actually uses?