Just got my first Surefire E1L-A the emitter isn't centered :(

Cityus

Newly Enlightened
Love the light but I was very surprised to see that the beam is uneven and I think it's due to the emitter being off center. I understand how the TIR works and have other TIR lights but the hot spot looks like it's bleeding out on one side. had anyone else experienced this? Not sure what to do. .

thanks fellow CPFers

dss_777

Enlightened
I'd contact Surefire. Their QC and customer service is usually quite good.

Any concern that this is a fake?

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Love the light but I was very surprised to see that the beam is uneven and I think it's due to the emitter being off center. I understand how the TIR works and have other TIR lights but the hot spot looks like it's bleeding out on one side. had anyone else experienced this? Not sure what to do. .

thanks fellow CPFers

This is very common...surefire claims that it is to reduce artefacts and ringyness...I think that is just a marketing coverup. I think the slight texturing on the lens does better at smoothing the beam than the off centering does..

Cityus

Newly Enlightened
I'd contact Surefire. Their QC and customer service is usually quite good.

Any concern that this is a fake?
nope no concerns. I just don't know what their reps will say regarding such a minor complaint?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally don't think Surefire cares much what the beam looks like when shown directly on a white wall.....and neither do I.

Cityus

Newly Enlightened
I personally don't think Surefire cares much what the beam looks like when shown directly on a white wall.....and neither do I.
If you're spending $200 on a light and settling for less then a $200 product then you're just saying you don't value your hard earned money.

That's like buying a Sony DVD player that features the ability to play DVDs but the picture is not clear and Sony doesn't care..

dss_777

Enlightened
nope no concerns. I just don't know what their reps will say regarding such a minor complaint?

Not sure what they'll say, of course, but I am sure they won't mind you asking.

I am puzzled by the suggestion that Surefire would say they deliberately created a weird shaped beam. I don't have any TIR lights, so have nothing to compare it to, but I've only ever seen weird beam shapes on cheap lights and Maglights.

Now we need you to call them, to satisfy our curiosity. :)

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If performance isn't affected, then it's possible that Surfire won't be concerned with a hot spot that isn't completely round. If the hot spot is so bad that performance is affected, then it is highly likely that they will want to take care of the issue.

Two of my Surefire TIR lights are E2DL Ultras and when compared directly to Nichia 219s, or other lights with white tint, their tint is definitely green. Am I completely thrilled with all aspects of the light (including tint)? Nope. Am I going to call Surefire to complain that the tint isn't the lovely white of my LX2 or E2DL LED? Nope.

When used as intended, the tint imperfection isn't even noticeable, and the throw and durability provided more than offset any minor imperfections.

.....and that's a lot of $$ for a light that only puts out 90 lumens. I would personally choose an E1D LED Defender or EB1 Backup.

Charles L.

Enlightened
If you're not satisfied with the beam, tint or anything else about a $200 light, then I'd follow the suggestions above and contact Surefire. I have three $200 plus lights (none of them Surefire originals), and two had issues: one green tint, one just didn't work. Sent them both back. With that track record, I should stick with the cheaper lights....