Anyone pocket EDC a 2xAA light?

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I want to replace my Nitecore D10 SP R2. It served well, but isn't reliable and is more finicky than I'd like. I'm debating between the Fenix LD22 G2 and the Fenix LD12 G2 currently. I know it's controversial but I really like the side button for changing modes. I like the LD22's brightness but I'm worried about the size. 6 inches is a lot to go in a front pocket (that's what she said). My work requires business casual dress so I wear khaki pants all the time. The pockets are definitely deep enough to accommodate the light but it's hard to imagine how it will look/feel by just sticking a tape measure in my pocket. I'm the technology director so it is a given that I'll have nerdy gadgets on my person, and I use a flashlight for everything from looking inside computers, the server room, above ceiling grids for pulling wire, etc. I also go camping several times a year. At any rate, I'd like some input from fellow flashaholics about carrying a 2xAA light or just sticking with the 1xAA form factor. Thanks!:p

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The LD12 has plenty of power for EDC. Enough power for camping as well. Have some 2XAA lights and like them but they hardly get the actual use time compared my 1xAA lights.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Just when I was settled on the LD12, I saw an ad on this page for the Olight S15 Baton. It looks awesome!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I occasionally EDC an incan 2AA Mini Mag (runs an XM-L p60) or an Olight s15 Baton 2AA. But tbh at this size of light you might as well EDC an 18650. More output and longer runtimes.

Charles L.

Enlightened
I occasionally EDC an incan 2AA Mini Mag (runs an XM-L p60) or an Olight s15 Baton 2AA. But tbh at this size of light you might as well EDC an 18650. More output and longer runtimes.

+1. Some mighty small 18650 lights out there these days. btw I have an Olight S-15. Very nice light, but I wouldn't put it in a pocket.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
+1. Some mighty small 18650 lights out there these days. btw I have an Olight S-15. Very nice light, but I wouldn't put it in a pocket.
I'd like to stick with AA batteries - I've got some Eneloops and a charger. Out of curiosity, why would you not carry the S15 in your pocket?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sticking with AA is fine, although it's a bit like saying I'll stick with carbs rather than take EFI. 18650 batteries and chargers are pretty cheap.

S15 is a fine light, but the side switch activates all to easily in your pocket. Nobody at Olight can ever have put one of these in their pocket and used it as an EDC while doing R&D. It also has pretty much the worst tint of any light I own.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I don't have an LD22, but I do have an LD20 (which is I believe a bit shorter), and the problem I'd have with EDC'ing it in pants pocket is the clip arrangement. Using the clip, it's bezel-up only, and a good deal of the light will be sticking out of your pocket. I think the LD22 has the same clip limitation, and with its longer head it will stick out of your pocket even more.

I have a similar role to you at work, and I EDC a 2xAA light in my laptop bag... with clip removed it fits nicely in the pen-holder slots in the organizer section of the bag. I don't use it very often, but when I do it's not a big deal to put it in my pocket loose. If I was using the light frequently, and wanted to have it in my pocket constantly, I'd go with 1xAA, which should be more comfortable when sitting as well.

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I'm using a Fenix LD22 for EDC. Intended to mostly carry it in my coat pocket or on a lanyard. However, its workable for the front pocket of the khakis I'm wearing today. LD22 is close to the edge of that envelope. It's certainly not as small as a single AA light. However, I wanted the extra run-time and to still have the ultimate convenience of AA. Rechargeables like 18650 certainly have their place (I have custom 6Ps), but it's awfully easy to just stash a couple extra alkalines in my desk at work as they work for other things around the office as well (clocks, wireless mouse, etc.). I bought some eneloops too for that matter. Not much downside that I can see. Yep, its GTG for me - not exciting, but a terribly practical solution.

and BTW, you can move the clip on LD22 to carry bezel down.

Charles L.

Enlightened
I'd like to stick with AA batteries - I've got some Eneloops and a charger. Out of curiosity, why would you not carry the S15 in your pocket?

No problem. AA is a convenient battery size, no question. Re: the S-15, its button protrudes a little high and is susceptible to accidental activation. That plus the 2xAA format (length) keep it out of my pocket. The newer rechargeable Olight baton series has a more recessed switch that is less prone to accidental activation. I believe but am not certain that an S-15R model is available.

Actually, the R series presents another option -- an S10 or S20 R :)

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone pocket EDC a 2xAA light?

I find 2aa a little too long in my pocket, where 2aaa is perfect. Like you, front pocket, where 6" is tough.

If it must be AA, and must be two cell, what about a side by side 2aa like the sunwayman d20a? It has the side button you like, is only four inches long (x1.26" x.82") should be good for the front pocket, & there's one on the (old) marketplace for $50 shipped right now (not mine).

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always edc'd a 2 AA light with no problems. I started with a Fenix e21 which has quite a large head compared to other 2AA lights and now I have an Eagletac D25A2 and it's a better choice for me. The only time it is awkward or uncomfortable is in a pair of tight Wrangler Cowboy Cuts, then I belt carry an EA4. I like the output and runtime of a 2AA light and would rather carry a light I can get batteries for anywhere

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have LD12 and LD22 and I'm surprised as how well the LD22 sits in pocket. Not bulky, doesn't stick out too much. I really like the LD22 and think I may gift the LD12 to my brother.image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I'm using a Fenix LD22 for EDC. Intended to mostly carry it in my coat pocket or on a lanyard. However, its workable for the front pocket of the khakis I'm wearing today. LD22 is close to the edge of that envelope. It's certainly not as small as a single AA light. However, I wanted the extra run-time and to still have the ultimate convenience of AA. Rechargeables like 18650 certainly have their place (I have custom 6Ps), but it's awfully easy to just stash a couple extra alkalines in my desk at work as they work for other things around the office as well (clocks, wireless mouse, etc.). I bought some eneloops too for that matter. Not much downside that I can see. Yep, its GTG for me - not exciting, but a terribly practical solution.

and BTW, you can move the clip on LD22 to carry bezel down.

Thanks for the reply! Good to know someone is actually carrying the light in khaki pants. Also thanks for the info about reversing the clip, I would definitely carry it bezel down..

Last edited:

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
No problem. AA is a convenient battery size, no question. Re: the S-15, its button protrudes a little high and is susceptible to accidental activation. That plus the 2xAA format (length) keep it out of my pocket. The newer rechargeable Olight baton series has a more recessed switch that is less prone to accidental activation. I believe but am not certain that an S-15R model is available.

Actually, the R series presents another option -- an S10 or S20 R :)

Well that sucks about the switch - I can see myself getting very frustrated when pulling the light from my pocket and it's already on. Somehow happens with my Nitecore D10 and it is infuriating. Random person: "Hey, your pocket is glowing" Me: Inwardly cussing and muttering "thanks"
I saw that you can lock the light, but it seems like a PITA to do every time you put in back in your pocket.

Last edited:

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I have LD12 and LD22 and I'm surprised as how well the LD22 sits in pocket. Not bulky, doesn't stick out too much. I really like the LD22 and think I may gift the LD12 to my brother.image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Thanks for the pic! It really does look fine, I figured there would be a large bulge. "Is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Crap, now I stumbled upon the Nitecore EA21. Looks to be a bit shorter than the Fenix LD22 but a bigger head. Has some cool features but I'm leery of Nitecore and now the issue of accidental activation via side buttons...

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh heh. The LD12 is great but the G2 version has had some problems. Luckily mine works perfectly but a friends has issues skipping modes. Recently decided I may gift it away as I like the E12 better as a single AA light and the LD22 is a great around the house utility/ camping/outdoors light. Brighter with linger runtime and the low is noticeably lower than my LD12. What sold me on it was lots of stories about how tough and reliable the Fenix LD20/22 series have been for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to for a while, but now think it's too big for pocket carry. Then went a 1 AA/14500, but prefer a little more runtime/capacity. I'm now running a 16650 in 0.85x4.5" light which is about 75% the energy of an 18650, or 3.5x an Eneloop, but gives me the flexibility to run it on 1x AA/AAA/CR123/or anything that fits the tube.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I used to for a while, but now think it's too big for pocket carry. Then went a 1 AA/14500, but prefer a little more runtime/capacity. I'm now running a 16650 in 0.85x4.5" light which is about 75% the energy of an 18650, or 3.5x an Eneloop, but gives me the flexibility to run it on 1x AA/AAA/CR123/or anything that fits the tube.

What kind of light is it? I imagine it's not in the $50 price range I'm going for :)