Cheap Tenergy 18650s

mbzeitz

Newly Enlightened
I picked up some 2600 mAH buttom top protected Tenergy 18650 cells (model 30049) from Fry's the other day for $4 each on sale. While I am happy how cheap they were, they are 69.25 mm long. As of now the only 18650 light I have is the Convoy S2+, which in its stock form won't fit a battery that long. I have modded it with a TIR optic, which allows the pill to be screwed firther forward, and I can then fit the Tenergy cell.

What should I do? Will they fit in most other flashlights fine? Should I return them? Remove the protection and rewrap so they are shorter? Other ideas?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
They definitely do fit in plenty of other lights just fine. I have used around 10 of them in the past and they mostly worked fine. I did have trouble with one though. I pulled it out of a multicell light once and it had brown coloring on the wrapper in many spots and looked like something bad happened to it. I only used matched sets in the light, etc. It didn't fail or anything, but it made me nervous. So just be careful with them.

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
I picked up some 2600 mAH buttom top protected Tenergy 18650 cells (model 30049) from Fry's the other day for $4 each on sale. While I am happy how cheap they were, they are 69.25 mm long. As of now the only 18650 light I have is the Convoy S2+, which in its stock form won't fit a battery that long. I have modded it with a TIR optic, which allows the pill to be screwed firther forward, and I can then fit the Tenergy cell.

What should I do? Will they fit in most other flashlights fine? Should I return them? Remove the protection and rewrap so they are shorter? Other ideas?

If u have 4 matched batteries, ill gladly buy them off you... Didnt see the fry deal... Bummer

mbzeitz

Newly Enlightened
At my Fry's there were about 8, I grabbed three out of the four allowed because I wasn't sure if they would fit in my lights. Still if people bought the max allowed, thats only two customers that get the deal... I do work practically across the street so it's easy to stop by for these deals.

I guess these are worth keeping if they can fit!