2015 - latest hotness in cutoff battery lights?

Matt King

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. What's the current choice in internal-battery cutoff beam (StVZO compliant or similar) bike front lights?

I've been (very) happy with my Philips Saferide on the commuter, but wouldn't mind something a bit sleeker for my newer road bike for when I take it commuting. I'm not interested in symmetric beam lights (unless I get one to flash back the people who dazzle me), and I don't want to deal with breaking cables.

Choices I'm aware of:

B&M Ixon IQ Premium - probably the current benchmark, but still rocking 4 x AA's so I'm not sure how it achieves 5 hours run time unless it's not as bright as the Philips...
Specialized Flux Expert / Elite - would be the choice if I had the budget... love the remote switch and high/low modes.
Supernova Airstream - 205 lumens according to their newest info.
Trelock 950 - outsider; narrow beam from photos I've seen.

They seem to be the brightest choices. Anything else worth considering?

Thanks.

angerdan

Enlightened
If your budget is just less than $150 (price of the SPECIALIZED FLUX ELITE Headlight), there are not much options.
I'm wondering why you thinking about something sleeker.

Take a look at these:
B&M Ixon IQ Premium - 20h with 10lx in City-Eco-Modus
Fenix BC20
- no real cutoff, but Dual Distance Beam System. 16h at 80lm in low mode
Osram FX35 - 6h in 12lx/57lm eco mode. Only 2x AA
Sigma BUSTER - 6h with 50lm in eco-mode
Sigma SPORTSTER - 7h in normal mode

Last edited:

Matt King

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering why you thinking about something sleeker.
Mostly to go with the aesthetics of a carbon road bike, and not take up so much bar space. Of course aesthetics is not such a big issue in the dark :D Saferides still available on bike24 for now... might just get a second bracket for it, and another light for my wife who is riding in the dark more than I am at the moment.

PS the Flux Elite price is more in Australia, and of course Specialized fail at understanding online sales...

PPS more interested in what they can do in high mode than low mode.

BrianMc

Enlightened
Some high output from the more expensive Flux Elite Expert:

Remember that the aesthetics of a carbon bike stuffed under some bloke's ute because the cyclist was not visible enough is pretty low.

Matt King

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Garmin Varia looks like it could be OK.
It may be a while before we can ever buy it (IF we can ever buy it):

From Garmin.com
Varia™ Smart Bike Lights

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained

('Course, this applies only in the U.S.)

Last edited:

LANDDNL

Newly Enlightened
Garmin Varia looks like it could be OK.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/varia-smart-bike-lights/prod506138.html

Picture of device

Not cheap, but an out front mount and you can stack your computer on top if it, plus use a remote control switch and some of the fancier features of the newer/top end Garmin bike computers (light sensing etc). Lumen rating is alright, beam shot seems OK at a glance.

What's the latest release date on lights/radar?

Pöbel

Enlightened
What about Ixon Core? It's sleek, 180lumens, 18650 powered and USB rechargable. Its also very affordable.

unterhausen

Enlightened
I know it's not a cutoff, but the Cygolite Expilion 850 has a fresnel lens that really cuts off the top of the beam very effectively. I used it quite a bit earlier this spring, and I was surprised how effective the cutoff is

angerdan

Enlightened

Marcturus

Enlightened

ro63rto

Newly Enlightened
How do you define "any good"?

I use three Ixon IQ (one Premium).
As in, are they really as bright as they show in their catalogue?

That's the exact one I was looking at. Rechargeable batteries rather than having to upgrade to a new back wheel with built in dynamo.

angerdan

Enlightened
As in, are they really as bright as they show in their catalogue?
The pictures from B&M seems to be overexposured.
I have a comparision between Philips Saferide and B&M Ixon IQ Premium made myself with same exposure:
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?240535-Show-us-your-bike-light-set-up&p=4618066&highlight=#post4618066

external power, but the tech effort is interesting and likely to trickle down + get copied:
http://supernova-lights.com/en_US/page/m99
True, thanks for sharing!

ro63rto

Newly Enlightened
The pictures from B&M seems to be overexposured.
I have a comparision between Philips Saferide and B&M Ixon IQ Premium made myself with same exposure:
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?240535-Show-us-your-bike-light-set-up&p=4618066&highlight=#post4618066

True, thanks for sharing!
Perfect. Thanks.
Think I'll get my brother the B+M Ixon IQ Premium.
He's bought a rear lamp with laser guide lines and 5 bright leds that are either steady or flash different patterns so this should please him.

woahdae

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently in the process of hooking a battery pack up to a last-gen lumotec CYO (60 lux), which I think has plenty of illumination, but an 80 lux version looks to cost [... googling ...] $80? Tried and true beam pattern, aesthetically sharp, and they can run off a DC battery pack without modification (input voltage 6-48v, some models 6-72v!).

Why nobody sells packs for the dynamo lights is beyond me. Maybe I'll find out after this experiment, but I love the idea of mounting the light over my fender and strapping a 5+ hour pack to the top tube. I got the CYO for $40 in a used parts bin, two 18650s are $6 ea, and I still have to wire it all up but I expect to be well under $100 (not including minus my time, but hey, electronics are fun!). Will probably add a fender-integrated rear light too if I pick one up on sale.

I know it's not the direction you were necessarily looking for, but again, dunno why it's not considered more often.

Marcturus

Enlightened
lumotec CYO
and they can run off a DC battery pack without modification (input voltage 6-48v, some models 6-72v!).
No, not DC, trying out will actually fry most CYOs very quickly. If you don't want to get blamed for giving awful advice, try making harmless contributions to boost your post count. Or at least provide a link to your source and carefully qualify the exact Cyo models you are writing about.

Edit:
Not the place to discuss Cyo DC and hub dynamo voltages again; cleaned out ignore list inhabitant

Last edited: