Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapatalk, Forum Runner, and Mobile App

Default Tapatalk, Forum Runner, and Mobile App

First - CPF is no longer compatible with Forum Runner.

Second - CPF *IS* compatible with Tapatalk. And if you are a CPF Supporter, it is "Ad Free". Click on the tab in the navigation bar at the top of this page that says "CPF Supporter" in yellow font for details on how to become a CPF Supporter. There are also many other benefits to being a supporter.

Third - I am in the process of updating the CandlePowerForums App for iOS and Android. The platform for the app is Tapatalk but more customized for CPF. Please have patience with me while I work through this. They don't make it easy... ... but it *IS* worth the effort. And I'm working on making it "Ad Free" or at the very least only ads from CPF Advertisers.

Fourth - Working on better integration of The CPF Mall with the App.

Default Re: Tapatalk, Forum Runner, and Mobile App

Happy to test whatever on iOS. Have all the above forum browsing apps on iP6 and iPad Air.

There is an update for the app. Be sure to download it!

Using iOS app: Clean look, better use of screen real estate, and I like the quick tabs on the top for backing up when in subforums. Positive upgrade so far.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Using iOS app: Clean look, better use of screen real estate, and I like the quick tabs on the top for backing up when in subforums. Positive upgrade so far.
    Thank you! I'm liking it too! Especially how the WTS forum lays out. Should make things fairly easy for browsing.

I'm still working on better integration with The CPF Mall. That is going to take more time. But I thought I'd tackle one thing at a time.

Nice! Well done, thx!

I think I found one bug in iOS app. Maybe. The menu button upper left should open the menu that shows Browse, Web View, Messages etc. all the time and from any screen IMO. It used to. It seems like now it acts as a "back" button until you get to the main forum index and only then does it open the menu. It's nice to be able to open the Subscriptions tab or Messages tab etc. from any screen for quick navigating. I hope that makes sense. Just something small to look into.
    Last edited by nbp; 03-16-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Hmmm. Sometimes I guess even at the main index it remains a back arrow.

I used the tab at the top of the page to go from a subforum back the main index. Then clicked where the menu button should be. It took me backwards to the subforum I was just in, with no way to open the menu list to see Messages etc. Something is funny there. That triple line menu button should stay there all the time except when actively viewing a thread (when it becomes a back arrow) and should open the menu from any screen or subforum all the time. That is how it used to function and how it seems it should function.

Any thoughts on the above? Menu button still acting as a back button it seems.

Works fine for me - although I'm not EXACTLY clear what you're saying. The menu button (three horizontal lines) is only there when you are looking at the forum index (the category list). Once you click on a category (i.e.. Flashlights), you get a list of the forums in that category (i.e. General Flashlights, LED Flashlights, etc.). At that point, you do not see the menu button in the upper left anymore - you get the back arrow (<). Then if you click on one of the forums, (i.e. General Flashlight Discussion), you get the sub-categories (i.e. Recommend Me a Light For...), and you still have the back arrow. And so on. So to get back to the main menu (i.e. What's New?, Web, Browse, etc.), you have to use the back arrow to back out of the sub-forums, forums, and categories to the Main Category list and then the menu button will appear again.

That is what *I* get. If you get something else, it's on your end somehow.

Hey, nbp, a screenshot of the problem may help in the diagnosis.

I had to look up how to do a screenshot on an iPhone, but do it all the time on my HTC.
    Last edited by cowsmilk; 03-23-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Works fine for me - although I'm not EXACTLY clear what you're saying. The menu button (three horizontal lines) is only there when you are looking at the forum index (the category list). Once you click on a category (i.e.. Flashlights), you get a list of the forums in that category (i.e. General Flashlights, LED Flashlights, etc.). At that point, you do not see the menu button in the upper left anymore - you get the back arrow (<). Then if you click on one of the forums, (i.e. General Flashlight Discussion), you get the sub-categories (i.e. Recommend Me a Light For...), and you still have the back arrow. And so on. So to get back to the main menu (i.e. What's New?, Web, Browse, etc.), you have to use the back arrow to back out of the sub-forums, forums, and categories to the Main Category list and then the menu button will appear again.

That is what *I* get. If you get something else, it's on your end somehow.
    On my iPad Air, the way you describe is how it works. Furthermore, I can also swipe right from the left edge of the screen and get the sidebar menu for quick navigation. It seems to work properly.

However, on my iPhone 6, if I navigate through to subforums etc., the menu button remains, though it functions as a back button. That is weird. Also, I cannot seem to swipe right from the left edge to reveal the sidebar menu as I can with my iPad and as I could on my phone before the last app update. Swiping right just takes me back a page instead of showing the menu.

So it seems to be there is some difference in functionality between devices. There is no settings I can adjust that would change the interface of the app.

Hopefully that is clearer than my previous explanation.

On my iPad Air, the way you describe is how it works. Furthermore, I can also swipe right from the left edge of the screen and get the sidebar menu for quick navigation. It seems to work properly.

However, on my iPhone 6, if I navigate through to subforums etc., the menu button remains, though it functions as a back button. That is weird. Also, I cannot seem to swipe right from the left edge to reveal the sidebar menu as I can with my iPad and as I could on my phone before the last app update. Swiping right just takes me back a page instead of showing the menu.

So it seems to be there is some difference in functionality between devices. There is no settings I can adjust that would change the interface of the app.

Hopefully that is clearer than my previous explanation.
    So basically your issue is that your iPhone functions differently than your iPad and on your iPhone, instead of the "normal" back button, there is the "normal" menu button - that acts like the back button... do I have that correct?

Yes. And I also cannot seem to swipe right to get to the main menu from all screens like on my iPad. I really like that feature as I can quick nav instead of back>back>back if I want to jump directly to PMs or Subs etc.

Yes. And I also cannot seem to swipe right to get to the main menu from all screens like on my iPad. I really like that feature as I can quick nav instead of back>back>back if I want to jump directly to PMs or Subs etc.
    Ok. Well... nothing I can do about that. It's Tapatalk. So... um... live with it, I guess?

Hey Greta-
    I LOVE the CPF app. Especially since Tapatalk had that HORRIBLE update a while back.
    I hope u can keep it this clean & simple unlike the current Tapatalk versions
    Thank you!!

I only use it on my iPhone. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I only use it on my iPhone. I like it.
    gunga... I'm curious - with the CPF app, are you getting ads? You have a Supporter subscription so you shouldn't see ads when you use the Tapatalk app but I'm wondering if that carries over to the CPF app?

Edit added: FWIW - I do NOT see ads anymore when I use the CPF app.
    Last edited by Greta; 03-24-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Yep. Ad free! I haven't used tapatalk for cpf for a while but the cpf app is add free

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Yep. Ad free! I haven't used tapatalk for cpf for a while but the cpf app is add free
    Nice! So for that alone, it's worth getting a supporter subscription...

Yep. That's helpful and a better use of screen space.

Nice! So for that alone, it's worth getting a supporter subscription...
    I am a subscriber and I get an add in the left hand side of the screen asking if I have checked my PPI.

Quote Originally Posted by d13avo View Post
    I am a subscriber and I get an add in the left hand side of the screen asking if I have checked my PPI.
    What device? What app? And what's a PPI?

Hi Greta

I am using an iPad and an iPhone, I'm usung the CPF app and the advert was for PPI (Payment Protection Insurance)

Thank you
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by d13avo View Post
    Hi Greta

I am using an iPad and an iPhone, I'm usung the CPF app and the advert was for PPI (Payment Protection Insurance)

Thank you
    Paul
    I'm guessing that is a Panjo thing because you have items listed in The Mall. Is that the only ad you see? You don't see any small ones in between the threads and posts?

I'm guessing that is a Panjo thing because you have items listed in The Mall. Is that the only ad you see? You don't see any small ones in between the threads and posts?
    Yes I only get one add between threads on first page and at the bottom of a thread page. Here's a couple of pics to help explain.

Hmmmm... I'm not getting those. I wonder why you are. I will check on it. Thank you for the detailed info!

It just occurred to me - have you updated to the newest version of the CPF app? Just came out a couple weeks ago.

It just occurred to me - have you updated to the newest version of the CPF app? Just came out a couple weeks ago.
    My iPhone is set up to install latest updates but I just checked as technology can go wrong.

Yes updated CPF app to 4.0.1

Hmmmm... I'm not getting those. I wonder why you are. I will check on it. Thank you for the detailed info!
    Just wondering whether there's any more info on this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast