identify this surefire ?

bobyluvjr

Newly Enlightened
If I posted this in the wrong place I am sorry this is my first post as since joined this morning. I received a surefire as a gift a few years ago and used it for work but I wasn't fond of the on off mechanism so I just put it away but I was reading on another forum about knives and this guy was talking about his moded flashlight and it got me thinking but now I don't remember the model of my flash light to see what I can do to mod it so any help would be great
2015-03-09%2008.28.57.jpg

Mikeg23

Enlightened
The on off can be changed with a McClicky switch just make sure you get one that has the brass ring for a Z41. They are available from ligjthound, overready, and illumination supply as well as other places I'm sure...

I put a McClicky and Malkoff M61WL (this is a warm model that would by similar in color to the factory surefire P60 incandescent light) in mine and keep it stored in my toolbox works great. The only store I see where you'll find both those items under one roof would be illumination supply.

bobyluvjr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies I thought it was a g2 but I couldn't find them in tan on the surefire website so I wanted to ask people who may have first hand knowledge

bobyluvjr

Newly Enlightened
The on off can be changed with a McClicky switch just make sure you get one that has the brass ring for a Z41. They are available from ligjthound, overready, and illumination supply as well as other places I'm sure...

I put a McClicky and Malkoff M61WL (this is a warm model that would by similar in color to the factory surefire P60 incandescent light) in mine and keep it stored in my toolbox works great. The only store I see where you'll find both those items under one roof would be illumination supply.

I will definitely look into this because it would be nice to use the light expecially because I work in the security field and my mini mag doesn't really do much

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you work security, you may not want the McClicky. There are reasons Surefire designed the original tailcap to be a momentary push button, so that the light could be turned off as fast it could turn on. Your call.

Another reliable source for LED drop-ins is Lumens Factory. They make a very nice XP-G R5 drop in in either Neutral White or 90+ CRI, in either single tactical mode or triple 5%/30%/100% mode, with an output of around 350 lumens. I have one in my G2 along with an eFest 16650 rechargeable. Works great, lasts long time. As long as you don't run at full power for ten minutes or more at a time, you won't have a heat problem.

My first good light was a G2, and I was lucky enough to find another original G2 on eBay recently. The LF drop in and the eFest 16650 make a good combination while leaving the G2 as essentially stock (I still have the P60 and a couple of CR123s if I want to return to full stock). Enjoy yours.

bobyluvjr

Newly Enlightened
If you work security, you may not want the McClicky. There are reasons Surefire designed the original tailcap to be a momentary push button, so that the light could be turned off as fast it could turn on. Your call.

Another reliable source for LED drop-ins is Lumens Factory. They make a very nice XP-G R5 drop in in either Neutral White or 90+ CRI, in either single tactical mode or triple 5%/30%/100% mode, with an output of around 350 lumens. I have one in my G2 along with an eFest 16650 rechargeable. Works great, lasts long time. As long as you don't run at full power for ten minutes or more at a time, you won't have a heat problem.

My first good light was a G2, and I was lucky enough to find another original G2 on eBay recently. The LF drop in and the eFest 16650 make a good combination while leaving the G2 as essentially stock (I still have the P60 and a couple of CR123s if I want to return to full stock). Enjoy yours.

So how does the multiple modes work with the momentary switch like

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Lumens Factory, it is Low, Medium, High then start over. A pause of more than two or three seconds will place that mode in memory, and that is where it will start next time. As far as I can tell, that memory is preserved over lockout.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Not very well I would imagine... You would have to hold it on and if you let loose then you'd come back on in a different mode.
Multi mode lights generally don't work well for taking a quick look at something in my opinion (and my opinion isn't even security it's mechanical)

The problem you have to consider with putting a bright LED in a G2 is that the module will get hot... The Surefire P60L deals with this by not being very bright to begin with and then I think it steps down to protect itself. The M61L is a great module for the plastic body... Although if you use a multi mode light you can always use the lower modes and engage the brighter mode sparingly!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tan G2 isn't nearly as common as the black and yellow ones.

If you can find one for a good price, the Surefire Z59 tailcap will also work, but may look a bit odd with the stock head (see below).

If output of 280+ lumens is necessary, one of the variants of the full powered M61 can be used if the head is upgraded to an aluminum Z44 (which aesthetically works well with a black tailcap).

bobyluvjr

Newly Enlightened
I thank all of you for the assistance and I definitely have a lot of shopping to do lol I do have a question I was on the google and came across solar force and they have heads and tailcaps that are compatible for the G2 are they quality or are they junk

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Probably somewhere in between a lot of people on this forum have had good luck with them. They are not Surefire but from what I have read they are not junk either. However by the time you bought a head and a tail you could have bought the whole host for basically the same money...

nailbender has has great dropins and host on his website (customlites). Them you don't have to worry about the plastic not being a good heat sink for the module.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would keep the G2 stock and add a Malkoff M61LL. It will give you single mode operation, and a set of CR123 batteries will run for 10 hours at a constant 100 lumens, then provide another 3-4 hours of declining output as the batteries slowly deplete. It will also be bombproof.

If you want something different, just shelve the G2 and pick up a 6P, or complete solarforce host. Solarforce has been good for me, but Surefire clearly has better build quality, in my opinion.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
If you are using a Mini Mag now, the M61LL is going to be much brighter and give you a really long run time. If you do not like the tailcap, I agree that a McClicky, or clicky Surefire tailcap is the way to go.

Nice drawer find! Tan Surefires are awesome!

dss_777

Enlightened
I would keep the G2 stock and add a Malkoff M61LL. It will give you single mode operation, and a set of CR123 batteries will run for 10 hours at a constant 100 lumens, then provide another 3-4 hours of declining output as the batteries slowly deplete. It will also be bombproof.

If you want something different, just shelve the G2 and pick up a 6P, or complete solarforce host. Solarforce has been good for me, but Surefire clearly has better build quality, in my opinion.

This.

Leave it a-is except for the dropin. It would make a great user, for daily carry, or to leave in the car or BOB- excellent quality output, long run-time, and great reliability.

When I upgraded a few all-Nitrolon G2s with aluminum bezels and clicky tail-switches, I ended up with parts I didn't need or couldn't use. My OCD then lead to more bodies, parts and dropins until I had a complete host for every dropin. One light became about 7.

Not a complaint, really, just a warning... :)

bobyluvjr

Newly Enlightened
Well I am starting small I bought batteries they will arrive on Friday I couldn't see spending $11 for 2 at walmart when I could get a box of 12 for the same price online I may just keep it stock maybe get the Malkoff drop in and start looking for my next light :sssh: don't tell my wife

bobyluvjr

Newly Enlightened
OK so I am looking at rechargeable batteries and the number thing confuses me lol what battery pack will fit into the G2 and how does it compare to sf123a batteries and after i get my drop in Malkoff M61LL will it make a difference in battery needs I know know I am treading into different sections on the forum

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, you should do just fine with a Keepower 16650 cell in your G2 with the M61LL.

sandalian

Enlightened
This is amazing flashlight. Single mode with just only 120 lumens seems too old for nowadays, but it's just perfect for my personal taste.