Philips "Warm Glow" LED Bulb: Adjustable Color Temperatures!

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
A rather interesting bulb which goes from 2700K at full brightness down to 2200K: rather novel given that white LED's color is determined by the phosphor at the time of manufacture.

A surprisingly simple control circuit as well. Quite a bit of innovation on the go with this bulb!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always, Ty for yet another teardown!
Very clever approach to the dimming/color issues.
How are the other common LED issues (flicker, distribution, whine, etc.)?
It's sad that they still choose unsupported thru hole for board construction. Makes for fragile products.
I wonder how a "3-way" system would do, with 2200, 3000 & 5000 k. Could be used with a dimmer and/or old style 3 way lights.

Canuke

Enlightened
Would like to see these in the BR40 form factor. I have a Sylvania BR30 with a similar idea, but with a much cruder performance, going from oddly pinkish to pure yellow with a sharp step as it dims.

jthj

Newly Enlightened
Just picked a couple of these up for the lamps on the night stands in our bedroom. I really do like how they shift warmer as they dim. The only thing I would wish for is if it would dim down a tad bit lower. I can also report there is no buzzing that I can detect and I have pretty good hearing. I was also surprised at how much cooler this bulb runs compared to other 800 lumen LED bulbs I have. However, this is measured by feel touching the base of the bulb and not with any instruments inside the bulb. I suppose this could also be due to it having a plastic coating which makes it feel cooler than bulbs with exposed metal as plastic doesn't conduct heat as well.

robwhite0216

Newly Enlightened
Philips has recently expanded their line of Warm Glow products to include A21 75 and 100W models and new models in R20, BR40, A15, B11 and G25 warm glow bulbs. However I have only been able to find them online order through HomeDepot, and some are only available in 4 packs? I purchased the R20 for my kitchen recessed lights over the counters and they dim just fine with Pass & Seymour Harmony CFL/LED dimmers, no humming and a decent low range. I wish GE would modify their Reveal LED line to dim down to a warmer color temperature like the original incandescent bulbs used to. I will buy four A15 bulbs for my bedroom ceiling fan, so when I dim it they will match the color temperature of the two beside lamps using the A19 60W Warm Glow.

jthj

Newly Enlightened
I'm probably going to get some of these for the theater room and bathrooms where I plan to install dimmers in the new house and CRI90 bulbs in areas where I want the better color. I hope they make cri 90 warm glow. I think Phillips has the best overall led lineup right now.

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
Thans for the insight. You must have cash burning a hole in your pocket to do these at 10 bucks a time. It gives me valuable insight though. I like the 2 colours ever since realising gold is poorley shown up by warm colours and isnt truly represented unless cool and warm is shown.