Mag bulb questions

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old multifunction led, xenon, cold cathode fluoro torch. It uses 4xAA and I've turned the xenon into a hot wire. It has been hard to find bulbs for it so I figured I might as well use the spare Mag bulbs in the tailcap of my 4D and 3D. I've converted both of those to LED so the bulbs aren't doing much. The strange thing was the 3D bulb actually said "Maglite 2 cell". Bit unexpected but cool, I'll use it in 4xAA with NiMH.

So, anyone know that the specs are for a Mag 2 cell bulb? It has be krypton, and I imagine it is 1A? 2.4V?

broadgage

Enlightened
About 2.4 volts as you suggested, but only about 800ma not one amp.
Mag used to publish the voltage and current rating of the bulbs, and may still do so, but the retail packaging merely states for how many cells they are intended.
A 2 cell bulb might survive 3 cells, but don't count on it. 4 cells will instaflash a 2 cell bulb:poof:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just been using 4xAA. Not the brightest but not bad for what it is. Not the best set of NiMH in there but didn't go pop either.
2 cell bulb running on 4 NiMH batteries?
This is not normal and definitely some major problem with batteries, switch or connectors.
Is that possible the bulb is for 3 cell and printing is not clear to read?

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not normal and definitely some major problem with batteries, switch or connectors.

I would say all three. With a 4D, it is dim. It could be the printing on the bulb as the bulb came out of a 3D, and I imagine Mag wouldn't have given me a 2D bulb in a 3D. I'll take a picture.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the bulb
IMG_0301.jpg

in one of these
IMG_0300.jpg

with 4 of these oldish Sanyo 2700, on the verge of being rejected by the C9000 NiMH for high IR
IMG_0302.jpg

gives a hot spot like this
IMG_0305.jpg

Conte

Enlightened
with 4 of these oldish Sanyo 2700, on the verge of being rejected by the C9000 NiMH for high IR

Well, that's your explanation right there.
High IR, they are probably voltage sagging pretty hard down to a safe voltage level for that bulb.
Put some healthy cells in there and it'd likely pop.

Batteries will do that when they get old. They might seem to charge proper, but really, they jsut can't crank the amps anymore and as soon as they load down, they sag hard.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put some healthy cells in there and it'd likely pop.

I just popped in some Eneloops and it didn't pop. It was noticeably brighter though. Even the CCFL was brighter.

I think there must have been a misprint on the bulb. I know Xenon's aren't as forgiving when over driven but using a 2.4V Everready branded xenon for a dolphin torch, that popped quite quickly. Nice and bright though.

Conte

Enlightened
Hmm, well, The brighter the bulb is rated, the less you can over drive it.

Lot's of the old hotwire bulbs that are famous around this forum were high hour bulbs.
What they do is just underrate the bulb for a very long life.

Also, one thing that I've noticed, is that lot to lot the bulb might be a bit diff'.
YOu might have just scored a fluke winner. Maybe they just are that robust.

I might also chock a bit of it up to the fact that the flashlight has a lot of resistance on the switch.

Even a good maglite has switch resistance. It lets you get away with things you normally cannot.
I ran bulbs like the WA1111 for years in a mag with 2xlions or IMR's using the stock switch and an adapter.
As soon as I did a FET mod to the switch . . . :poof:

Seems the switch took just enough edge off.
Now, a cheaper flashlight is going to be even worse.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
those old mag 2 cell bulbs withstand a fresh 18650 for 1 cycle.but its a rather impressive 2 hour cycle.it darkens at the end and will flash on a fresh cell.
mag botched up the color code on pr bulbs.2 cell is normally blue.green is 3
Hmm, well, The brighter the bulb is rated, the less you can over drive it.

Lot's of the old hotwire bulbs that are famous around this forum were high hour bulbs.
What they do is just underrate the bulb for a very long life.

Also, one thing that I've noticed, is that lot to lot the bulb might be a bit diff'.
YOu might have just scored a fluke winner. Maybe they just are that robust.

I might also chock a bit of it up to the fact that the flashlight has a lot of resistance on the switch.

Even a good maglite has switch resistance. It lets you get away with things you normally cannot.
I ran bulbs like the WA1111 for years in a mag with 2xlions or IMR's using the stock switch and an adapter.
As soon as I did a FET mod to the switch . . . :poof:

Seems the switch took just enough edge off.
Now, a cheaper flashlight is going to be even worse.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
mag botched up the color code on pr bulbs.2 cell is normally blue.green is 3

I think you got it. Green is 3, and they misprinted the side of the bulb in this case. The colour codes must help with the assembly process as it is a quick visual thing rather than look at the tiny writing on the side.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
no they have been doing their own color code a long time.green has always been 2 cell for mag.
silly if you ask me.
i have some 3 cell xenon bulbs that were mag prototypes.they have blue beads too.
I think you got it. Green is 3, and they misprinted the side of the bulb in this case. The colour codes must help with the assembly process as it is a quick visual thing rather than look at the tiny writing on the side.