Review Klarus RS20: “Twin-Eye” light, UPDATED, 1050 Lumen, XM-L2(U2) LED+ 4-color LED

kj75

Enlightened
Review Klarus RS20: "Twin-Eye" light, UPDATED, max. 1050 Lumen, XM-L2(U2) LED, 4 color XM-L LED sidelight.

Last year Klarus came with something special: a "twin-eye light", the RS20. This flashlight has a larger head for decent throw, and also a multi-colored "floody" sidelight. In the old version you needed to change the color led, but now a multicolor XM-L LED is installed. The interface has also improved ...... so time for a closer look!

The RS20: a two-in-one flashlight
29wa6pj.jpg

the XM-L2 (U2) LED
vox45k.jpg

2cep8hy.jpg

At first, the specs, given by Klarus:

* Combines a primary LED with multi-coloured side LEDs to give a 3-in-1 flashlight, lantern & bike light with long throw beam & diffused flood
• Utilizes a CREE XM-L2-U2 LED as the primary LED, delivering a maximum output of 1050 ANSI lumens with a deep smooth reflector to throw the beam a maximum distance of 316 metres
• Patented sidelight LED utilizes a CREE XM-L colour LED with White, Red, Green, and Blue light to produce a diffused flood for close-up lighting. Can be used as a lantern or area light, freeing your hands
• In addition to providing a floodlight, the side LED also has a red SOS function, and a green Flash mode
The red SOS signal is the international standard rescue signal, but could also be used as a caution or danger signal
The green flashing mode could be used as a location beacon, delivering a long runtime
• Specially designed magnetic connection USB charging cable which can be removed quickly and safely at any time, making for effective use in rapid response situations
• Magnetic connection has built in short-circuit protection which makes it safer
• New ergonomic design for simple one-handed operation with switches that are very easy to locate in the dark
• Custom KLARUS 2600mAh 3.7V rechargeable Li-ion battery utilizes a Samsung cell with a unique contact design having no specific positive or negative pole
• The flashlight charger utilizes a standard USB charging port and provides intelligent charging function that adjusts the charging current according to the output from the USB to give the flashlight self-protection. Can be recharged at any available USB charging port in the home , office, airport, vehicle, etc
• Crenelated Stainless Steel bezel ring protects the core components from damage
• User memory function
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (underwater to 2 metres)

and the output specs:
2w6cj1y.jpg

Unboxing:

Here's again the well-known Klarus-box: a bunch of colors and all the specifications are listed. Through the window we see the most important: the RS20. And in the box it looks neat: Everything is fine here! Thanks also to mr. Schiermeier for the proper shipping!

a real Klarus box
2hs2715.jpg

lots of colors and specifications can be found
qn4i68.jpg

including: the RS20, holster, lanyard, manual, spare o-ring und usb-charging cable
4llo5g.jpg

Impressions:

The RS20 is significantly larger than the RS11.. I didn't expect. This light has the looks: The throw head with deep reflector and the military gray color surely contribute to this. Anodizing and machining is well done, the reflector is clean and the led perfectly centered. Do not look in the reflector when opening (to insert a battery) the lamp because it flashes (one time) while opening as well as closing. The threads are lightly greased and run without scratching. The diffusor lens of the side light can be removed with a special screwdriver, but that is no longer required with this update. Anodizing and engraving are well done. Personally, I like this styling: the proportions are right and everything looks good.

nice design…
2iub5nk.jpg

2l9qnh3.jpg

and balanced proportions
352gl7d.jpg

clean reflector and a well centered led
2s7e58l.jpg

fits well in the hand
33nuxj9.jpg

a square and a round button, to find the right one in the dark
r9mu0j.jpg

the head…
16hrfkj.jpg

and the threads are well machined and little lubed
kckuwp.jpg

a look into the battery tube
347vi84.jpg

good anti-roll construction
14mzqv.jpg

the usb-charging cable
2vwzos4.jpg

and the magnetic connection port
2lbglnb.jpg

the holster
2vs56dh.jpg

comfortable wearing, but less protection
xmmn0j.jpg

easy to add on: the lanyard
zvo75j.jpg

no matter how you insert the battery, that's also why only this one can be directly charged
2n8vscm.jpg

animation picture of the sidelight's modes
2vkexhd.jpg

Interface:

As I said, Klarus has significantly improved the operation. When I compare that with the RS11, I notice especially the mode selection is much better. Momentary is still the same: press less than 2 seconds. More than 2 seconds will give constant mode. The RS20 has two switches: Black and square for spot and orange and round for color/flood sidelight. When on, press the button for desired mode: High> Mid> Low> Moonlight. The RS20 has instant strobe: twice (quickly) click, both from on or off. Good job here! The sidelight always starts on white high and has no memory, but instant strobe (2 fast clicks) is also here: but in white only. Press the sidelight to enter: White (200)> White (65)> Red > Green> Blue. A double click white activates strobe mode, in red SOS mode, and in green mode (slow)flash. A bit strange: the green flash mode starts with 3 quick flashes, like the red SOS mode. Great thing: the two lamps can be used at the same time! So you can, for example, flood and throw mix as desired, or non-blinding red (for near) combine with the high spot (far away). So, an interesting and complete light!

Modes:

The RS20 has well-spaced modes: Luckily there's also moonlight mode. Together with the sidelight you have available in white: 1/10/65/200/345/1050 lumen. You can also make combinations. ..The sidelights colors can only be used at a shorter distance. Unfortunately the sidelight hasn't a moonlight mode : 65 lumens low is to much in a tent or on your nightstand while reading…Don't know why Klarus has changed the neutral white sidelight for coolwhite. They'd better kept this neutral.

Beamprofile:

This lamp has a deep, smooth reflector and looking at the beam this is easily recognizable: a clear change from hotspot to corona and spill. But this beam is also well suited for everyday use. And for flood, use the sidelight or both lights. The tint is cool white, compared to the Olight SR Mini we discover a little blue.

comparison of the tint
j6mntu.jpg

Size comparison:

Compared to RS11 brother: As I said, the RS20 is significantly larger. After that, compared to some competitors: Orcatorch T20 and the Fenix TK32.

Klarus RS20 and RS11
67jifc.jpg

wr0569.jpg

18650 cell, Klarus RS11, Orcatorch T20, Fenix TK32 and Klarus RS20
2uzosjq.jpg

Four "18650-cell" lights…
2q2gufk.jpg

Klarus RS11, Orcatorch T20, Fenix TK32 and Klarus RS20
2qmosia.jpg

Orcatorch T20, Klarus RS16, Fenix TK32 and Klarus RS20
2ymvvoh.jpg

the tails: Orcatorch T20, Klarus RS16, Fenix TK32 and Klarus RS20
2w21lza.jpg

Beamshots:

First, the light beam projected onto a white wall. Clear to see here: the (bright) hotspot.

Camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec. 35mm
2mo9r8g.jpg

efqkr7.jpg

a5kc45.jpg

2nvt3sn.jpg

animation picture
2zisl6g.jpg

animation of the sidelight modes
j6qrt0.jpg

And now, the outdoor beamshots:

First, all spot modes of the RS20, after that the flood modes and both together. Thereafter a comparison to the RS11, Orcatorch T20 and Fenix TK32; all lights at highest mode.

Camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, 35mm
2f0gkmb.jpg

214a6at.jpg

v60qiw.jpg

2wej2vb.jpg

animation
2mzl20k.jpg

Spot + flood at low-mode
143ji2r.jpg

Spot + flood at high-mode
20qkg92.jpg

animation of the sidelight modes
42wrl.jpg

against the Klarus RS11, both lights at highest mode
15p1iqe.jpg

against the Orcatorch T20, both lights at highest mode
a47ep5.jpg

compared to the Fenix TK32, both lights at highest mode
xprlt.jpg

Conclusion:

The RS20 is a great light. Complete modes, and widely usable: it also combines flood, color and throw. So you can use the RS20 at camp, hunting and security. Easy to work with, almost everywhere to load, but…..don't lose the charging cable….. It has a bunch of output modes and fits in your (coat) pocket. Happily, this one has a lock-out feature too, that is missing on the RS16. For those looking for a complete flashlight (battery and charging cable are included), the RS20 is a good choice. I'm still waiting for an illuminated switch: while using the flood light, the spotlight's button is hard to find. Maybe it will come soon…. And we wait for new nice innovations Klarus!

Thanks to Klaruslight for providing me this sample!

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened
Very nice review, and great beamshots thank you. I have the original and like it a lot, the only thing I'd change is to move the moonlight mode to the side light. It's kind of strange that the side light doesn't have memory mode, as the original version does.

Diesel Pro

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a very nice light. I like the combination spot and flood. Looks like the flood would do well lighting the hunting shack while we gear up and eat breakfast before hitting the woods.

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review, I have the old version, and like the modes on the side light better on the old version. I wonder if you can swap out the new side light into the old version?

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
I have the RS20, and overall it is great. I love the interface, the output step size between the main LED modes is pretty good, and the sidelight is useful as well as fun to play with. For example, a red SOS might possibly have some advantages over white, and some objects glow when under the blue sidelight.

Just a few minor complaints, though. Every once in a while the sidelight lights up pinkish, as if white-high and the red led are both on at the same time. This happened a few times when changing through the modes quickly, but is hard to repeat. The charger is convenient, but I've never actually seen the ring turn green, even after connected for 24 hrs. So far I've charged it three times. Other than that, this is a very versatile flashlight that does many things pretty well. The throw is really pretty amazing, but the beam pattern is not the best for just walking around with because the hot spot is so much brighter than the spill/flood. Of course, the floody sidelight is good for this, but I found that using the sidelight to aim in front of me requires somewhat awkward hand positions.

This was the first light I reached for when the power went out, as it was well-suited to light up a small room for a long time (the 345 lumens mode with 7 hrs runtime) while tailstanding so we could play cards.

Edit: I forgot to add that it also seems to roll just a little too easily.

Last edited:

Blackstuff

Newly Enlightened
Good review!

I like Klarus torches and have a few but they are 'short range' lights (XT10, XT11 and XT1C). What would you say the realistic throw of the light is, and how does it compare (as a thrower) to the TK32? I'm after something that can deliver at 300-400m

Thanks

stanmore

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! Definitely helped me massively to decide that I was buying this light! After playing around with it for far too long today, I discovered what I can only think of as a coding glitch! Turns out under certain circumstances the sidelight DOES have a memory! Kind of...
What you do is turn the sidelight to whatever you want (that isn't the default 'white high') and then turn it off. This is temporarily remembered! Now, so long as you do not turn on the primary light, which seems to override (overwrite?) this error, when you press AND hold the orange button for maybe a second or two, the sidelight first comes on to the 'white high', then flicks to the colour stored in the 'memory'. As I said, the main LED will totally stop this, but it could be useful in some instances, maybe when you just want the red light? This also doesn't work for the flashing modes, say you turned it off in the 'red SOS' mode, the 'memory' just remembers red, not that it was flashing.

This is the first time I've heard of this effect, so if anyone else can try this with their model I'd love to know if this is a model wider error, or just a programming glitch on my light, thanks!:D

kj75

Enlightened
I like Klarus torches and have a few but they are 'short range' lights (XT10, XT11 and XT1C). What would you say the realistic throw of the light is, and how does it compare (as a thrower) to the TK32? I'm after something that can deliver at 300-400m

Thanks

Maybe this will help about realistic throw:

Klarus RS20: 100-150 meters
Fenix TK32: 150-200 meters

If you're looking for a light that will reach 300-400 meters, go for a bigger one like Fenix TK61, Olight M3XS-UT Javelot, Nitecore TM36.

BloodLust

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review.
The RS20 has been #1 on my wishlist for quite a while.
I have the 820 lumen XT11 and I'm happy with it.

I just wish that the RS20 kept the sidelight NW.
I also wish that the sidelight came on in low-low, if not moonlight. Maybe 3 lumens, then 25, 80-100, then 200.

Some questions though:
- When the battery is low or nearly depleted, does the light still turn on? How strong?
- Can moonlight still be accessed with a depleted battery if it doesn't turn on in high?
If it does, this would make a great survival light since it's possible to charge it with solar panels with USB ports and also with a power bank.

Thanks again!

stanmore

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review.
The RS20 has been #1 on my wishlist for quite a while.
I have the 820 lumen XT11 and I'm happy with it.

I just wish that the RS20 kept the sidelight NW.
I also wish that the sidelight came on in low-low, if not moonlight. Maybe 3 lumens, then 25, 80-100, then 200.

Some questions though:
- When the battery is low or nearly depleted, does the light still turn on? How strong?
- Can moonlight still be accessed with a depleted battery if it doesn't turn on in high?
If it does, this would make a great survival light since it's possible to charge it with solar panels with USB ports and also with a power bank.

I was in the same situation as you, desperately wanted the RS20 for a long time, I was unfortunately quite disappointed with it when comparing it to my original XT11, I simply couldn't justify the price when it seemed to lack in some important areas - I'm going to return it for a refund :( .

When the battery is low, the light acts strangely, maybe I just didnt have time to figure it out properly. I round that If I used the sidelight on white-high for long enough, it would gradually dim, but then as you cycle the settings, if switches off on red! :( I have not found the primary LED to work in moonlight mode when at a low battery. Also, I was shocked to find that the primary light did not flash as a low battery warning as it does on the XT11, it too seems to decrease in brightness.

Hope that helps!

d88

Newly Enlightened
Well I ended up ordering as I was really needing a good solid light and the bonus of a side diffuser light saves me carrying a lantern around. Of course the other great feature is the magnetic recharging, as I'm not a great fan of either usb charging (the ports can be a little bit brittle if roughly handled) nor having rubber boots covering the port, as invariably these will break.

A few observations, the beam does have a decent distance and focus (easily made it out to 100m in my rough and ready real world test) so very happy with that, the side light for my use is excellent, although I agree, some sort of moonlight mode would have been ideal for the white side light. The RGB colours are bright enough to actually have a purpose (although they are diffused), rather than the more gimmicky side leds found on the likes of the nitecore srt7.

I did have a few issues initially with the magnetic recharging as the red led always stayed on, no matter how long I left it to charge. I had a couple of other Klarus custom 18650's, so tried them without much success. Eventually I just tightened the body onto the head head real hard to the point I thought I might break it, and that seemed to do the trick.

A few other things, the light will step down at regular intervals and I noticed when the battery was starting to run low, only the low and moonlight mode would work (along with the side light).

I can confirm that the side light does have a sort of memory. It will go back to white , then if you press it again it will go back to your original setting.

The supplied holster isn't the best designed/manufactured as it it's a little too tight for the head to fit in it. A little better care and intention could have meant the head was better protected and the side light could be fully used while attached to a belt for instance.

Overall though a decent enough light for the price and one that will see plenty of use.

Last edited:

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
I had this issue (see post above), try tightening the body onto the head as tight as you can get it to go. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Just tried this and the ring still stayed red after a few hours charging, and having tightened it as far as I felt comfortable doing. Probably could have tightened a little further but didn't want to risk stripping the threads. I have measured the voltage of the battery at 4.2V after charging.

Destiny

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious how effective the "Moonlight" mode in green is. The runtime is published as an incredible 982 hours with a green flood of 1 lumen. In other lights the lowest output is point-1 (.1) lumens. Being completely unfamiliar with such low levels of light, what can we expect of them? I have an mp3 player that puts out enough light in total darkness that I don't need to feel my way around at night. How much would 1 lumen of light put out? And how about .1 lumens?

When I look at LED flashlights, the intensity and duration of the lowest setting is almost as important as the brightest setting when it comes to plunking down my money.

Great review and your photos are great. I'm not crazy about the dual-polarity battery, but I can live with it. I'm a bigger fan of flood than throw, too, but the sidelight takes care of that (albeit with less light). BTW, here are the published runtimes for the sidelight (excluding Moonlight):

High: 220 lm (2.9 hrs)
Medium: 80 lm (7.8 hrs)
Low: 10 lm (75 hrs)
Flash: 220 lm (30.5 hrs)

Taz80

Enlightened
Destiny, the specs. you listed are for the original RS20 with white sidelight only, the red,green and blue are separate modules. The color lights for the RS20 color are single mode only and there is no moonlight mode in the sidelight of either model. The light will take regular 18650's you just can't charge them in the light. I have the original version of this light and I think its a good useful light.

n5750547

Newly Enlightened
I've had the Klarus RS20 for about 4 months and unfortunately have had to send it back due to a malfunction. Basically it would start to flicker and then the brightness would drop.

Not sure if anyone else has had a similar issue but I do know that the supplier I got it from here in Australia did have others with the same issue. I'm really disappointed as this was my first foray in to higher end lights and I had convinced all my mates that Led Lenser was not the way to go.