Cree XPG2 die structure change

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't spent as much time around here as I used to so forgive me if this is already known but I thought I'd share what I found with the latest batch of XPG2 I received.

First up is the XPG2 that we all know and love. Note that these pictures have been post process enhanced for detail.
XPG2a-256_zpsr5bxlnzw.jpg

Now the new XPG2.
XPG2b-256_zpsymchc4hl.jpg

Notice the difference? There are far more current spreaders. Outwardly the two LEDs look the same and both have the same die size. I haven't had time to finish my tests yet but I am expecting this to mean higher current handling ability. Meaning this should give a little more room at the top for "overclockers". I also noted a difference in the encapsulation material as well as changes in the phosphor material. The phosphor has a more matte appearance which helps with light extraction. I notice it is slightly easier to see the detail of the current spreaders with the new phosphor which probably indicates there is more efficiency gains with a reduction of scattering. Anyways this is just initial thoughts. Tests to come later.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does it compare/contrast with the new xb-h?
{perhaps a hand-me-down?}

djozz

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, I had not noticed it yet. Does this coincide with that people found that the newer XP-G2's and XM-L2's have higher forward voltages, higher efficiencies and (sadly) lower currents at which they say *poof* ?

djozz

Newly Enlightened
I had a look at the new XP-E2 'Torch' led this weekend and there it is the other way around: the phosfor material in the Torch looks very much like the 'old' XP-G2, and the XP-E2 that compared it with looks more like the 'new' XP-G2.

XP-E2
16700153928_fbe668524b_o.jpg
XP-E2 Torch

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Those aren't current spreaders per-se, they are vias, and they do spread the current but they aren't referred to as current spreaders in FC LEDs. Current spreaders was used to refer to the metal structure, actually ITP iirc. that was on top of the XM-L, XP-G V1 etc.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Those aren't current spreaders per-se, they are vias, and they do spread the current but they aren't referred to as current spreaders in FC LEDs. Current spreaders was used to refer to the metal structure, actually ITP iirc. that was on top of the XM-L, XP-G V1 etc.

So are these structural changes in the vias the build-up to a third generation of XP-G3s and XM-L3s?

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
So are these structural changes in the vias the build-up to a third generation of XP-G3s and XM-L3s?
No clue, I am not at Cree anymore. I will say that there is always continuous going on to all of the products, that doesn't necessarily mean a generation change though as most changes are just small bumps, seems the new versions come when there is a more revolutionary change and something like a 5% or more improvement in output.