Who else dotes on 3D lights???

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Whenever I find a 3D light, I usually buy it. If I find it will take 4C I'm in heaven!

If it doesn't it will be in a Garage sale next Saturday!

When I was gathering things for the sale, I had picked a Greatlight 3D, and an S&W 3D. But upon further thinking, those two are staying!

I just love 3D lights! How about you?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like em as well. They are just the right size for a broad range of mods. Never run them stock though. What would be the point? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Mag 3D was the original. Im starting to like the smaller 2C size Mags tho, although it'd like the switch feel of the D cell lights. 3Ds offer many battery configs for mods too.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3D M@g light running three Q3J's in direct drive with three Fraen LP optics. I really like this light. Out to medium ranges, it really turns night into day.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
smaller lights are "in" right now, and i love them as much as the next guy.

but i love a good 3d 1w mod! bright, useful beam and killer runtime!

a must for anyones arsenal in my opinion. when ww3 starts they're going to come in real handy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
a month of usable light is a good thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened
I just finished my first mod ever a few minutes ago.. It's a shiny purple Mag 3D modified with a 3 watt luxeon TWAK direct driven. I must say, I am very pleased with the mod, all things considered. I disassembled the mag and soldered the positive wire right to the lead and the negative wire to that long strip of metal that goes up the side of the thing, used a hotlips heatsink and dremeled the reflector to proper fit.

Those stock mag reflectors throw the beam of a luxeon 3 farter then anything I've seen so far and anything that I own, with the tightest beam I've ever seen in a luxeon LED. A very nice looking beam when focused with a tight hotspot.. when flood is used, you get the donut shaped beam typical of your mags. The partial melting of a small part of the luxeon itself seems to have no effect on the beam quality when the tight hotspot is used, but is somewhat noticable when it's in "flood" mode.. the melting was on the side near the edge. The beam is so bright, that you really don't need flood mode, because the sidespill is plenty bright anyways... but it's nice to be able to adjust the beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Overall, I'd recommend this mod to anyone who wants a good light at a relatively good price and isn't just using it to shine on walls. It's an excellent general purpose light with great throw.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I must mention that I DO keep a couple 3D lights stock. These are lights in strategic locations around my house that I will utterly depend on in an emergency.

But most get 4C and Writeright for smooth bright light.

And once in a while multiple 123As are used in one to drive an MR16 to insane brightness (don't have enough 123s to leave it be...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
my first real luxeon mod was 2 star/o mounted in a mag 3d...direct drive, of course. i named it "frankenbeam" because the main body is red, the bat cap is blue, and the main part of the head is blue. the lens ring is red.

took it up north to show my 82 year old German friend the new technology. he has some cheapie lights and a 2d mag.

it is DARK up there. very little light pollution.

he pointed it toward his pond , and it lit up the entire area in a huge flood of light. the look on his face was PRICELESS!

i think i may send him one of my anglehead/luxeon mods and an arc aa.

Bob

RussH

Enlightened
Chop, what did you use for a heatsink for your 3D M@g light running three Q3J's in direct drive with three Fraen LP optics.? I'm preparing to do the same mod with a tri-optic .........after I get thru with the 3D w/one L-III mod on a hotlips heatsink.