Ok... Totally confused. Mag11, Mag85, or ROP? C or D cell tubes? Run times? Help!!!

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen, I am thoroughly confused now. What combination provides the longest bulb life and runtime? I also prefer a bit warmer light, so how "white" the light is is of no consequence to me other than warmer is better. Bulb life is most important to me, followed by run time off of a full charge, then brightness.

So, please rank the following:
Rop run off of AW C cells
Mag11 run off of AW C cells
Mag85 run off of AW C cells
Rop run off of 6AA's in a D tube
Mag11 run off of (how many?) AA's in a D tube?

Thank you, you crazy flashlight nuts!

after more searching, it seems the FiveMega 12aa>2d adapters are discontinued, the AW C cells are discontinued, and the WA1111 and WA1185 are extremely hard to find, if they are even made anymore as well... So...

Is it possible to build a ROP in a C Cell Tube? Or conversely, how would one still make a 2D ROP, with decent (1+ hour) runtime?

Last edited:

Epsilon

Enlightened
If I am correct, those are all incan builds and AW C cells are referring to lithium cells (not to mention, they are no longer available IIRC).

If bulb life is the main concern: Go LED
If runtime is the second concern: Go LED
If brightness is the last concern: Go LED with multimodes :D.

Those are all Maglite mods, so if you want to go that road I would pick a LED which suits your needs (warm color, posibly High CRI) and a driver to run it.

A Mag2D, 2*26650 5200mAh cells, a warm white XM-L2 and a Taskled driver (H6Flex) would be a good place to start. This can build you 1000lumen, 5 brightness level light with a maximum runtime of more than 100 hours on the lowest setting :).

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
If I am correct, those are all incan builds and AW C cells are referring to lithium cells (not to mention, they are no longer available IIRC).

If bulb life is the main concern: Go LED
If runtime is the second concern: Go LED
If brightness is the last concern: Go LED with multimodes :D.

Those are all Maglite mods, so if you want to go that road I would pick a LED which suits your needs (warm color, posibly High CRI) and a driver to run it.

A Mag2D, 2*26650 5200mAh cells, a warm white XM-L2 and a Taskled driver (H6Flex) would be a good place to start. This can build you 1000lumen, 5 brightness level light with a maximum runtime of more than 100 hours on the lowest setting :).

Thank you, but I already have a drop-in for my SureFire, a 219 preon2 on the way, and an MDC 1CR123 219 on the way as well. I like the color of Incan, what can I say? If all else fails, I will end up doing as you suggested, but I'd like to dabble in a maglite Incan mod at some point, as well.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the Pelican bulbs are pretty hard to get now too. Maybe you should start by seeing what bulbs you can get, and asking about those.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you let us know which of the mentioned bulb, cell and host you have in your hand and how many, we will be able to help you better.
If you don't have any of them, I highly suggest FM09 which is ready to use after you buy 3 readily available IMR 26500. This set up will be for maximum output.
For longer run time, (over an hour) you can go with pair of 26650 and WA1274

darkknightlight

Enlightened
If you want really warm light with minimum mod work, grab a set of pelican 3853 bulbs (7.2 volts) and a couple of imr 26650 or 32650 batteries. You'll need a metal reflector too, and also likely a spring shortening mod.

Latest posts