Thrunite for EDC - which would you suggest???

coachnick

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

New to the forums and the flashlight craze has bitten me. I am liking the Thrunite brand. Can some of the more experienced here reccomend a model(s) that could be used for EDC??

Thank you in advance for your time,

Coach

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Hey Coach!

Id say a good starter from them would be the AA T10 or the cr123a T20. I think the T10 has a little more useful diffused beam than the t20, but the t20 is a tad bit brighter. Also between cool white or neutral white, it is personal preference. The cool white is "brighter" where as the neutral white seems to show colors better if that is what you need.

They both come in Aluminum and then there are stainless or titanium options depending on the model as well.
They are clicky(reverse) and retain the last mode used.

What do you want, a general use light?

I own both.

ven

Flashaholic
As above,i have the t10/t10s/t10t that use AA cells,i actually use 14500 in mine and get a considerably brighter medium and high although later models are not effected .Not supported either way so not advised to use 14500 cells!! They do work in mine though:D

Come in NW or CW

Simple 3 mode reverse clicky,lowest is 0.2lm/20/160 ish.
Changed clips thanks to Shelms recommendation for a longer type
T10t ti

T10s stainless

Review
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...inless-Steel)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

Last edited:

Cinthedark

Newly Enlightened
Hi Coach,

As the others have said, it really depends on your intended uses, budget, and tint preference, but I also agree with the others that the T10 is a good EDC - it's a nice compact size has a nice beam and has the convenience of running on a single AA battery.

For me however, the TN12 (2014) is the ultimate EDC - obviously bigger, a bit more expensive and runs on an 18650 (which if you don't already have will cost more than the light once you factor in a good charger as well) but is a light that does pretty much everything in a pocketable size.

If you'd prefer something smaller than the T10 the Ti series are great keychain AAA lights.

At a push, you could EDC the TN11S v2 if you want a serious compact thrower (but again would need an 18650 battery and IMO a bit too big to EDC though some people do).

Whichever you go for I'm sure you'll be happy with, but it doesn't really matter which you start with as, once bitten, you're gonna end up with them all anyway :naughty:

coachnick

Newly Enlightened
Hey freeride.....thanks very much. I'm going to head over to the Thrunite website and have a look at those. Also thanks for explaining the difference between CW/NW.

Yes a general use/edc light.

Cheers!

Hey Coach!

Id say a good starter from them would be the AA T10 or the cr123a T20. I think the T10 has a little more useful diffused beam than the t20, but the t20 is a tad bit brighter. Also between cool white or neutral white, it is personal preference. The cool white is "brighter" where as the neutral white seems to show colors better if that is what you need.

They both come in Aluminum and then there are stainless or titanium options depending on the model as well.
They are clicky(reverse) and retain the last mode used.

What do you want, a general use light?

I own both.

coachnick

Newly Enlightened
Hi Cinthedark,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Budget isn't a huge issue. Glad you mentioned the TN12, I had a look into it on the Thrunite website last night, it comes packaged with batteries/charger for a decent price so am considering it.

Have a nice day,

Coach

Hi Coach,

As the others have said, it really depends on your intended uses, budget, and tint preference, but I also agree with the others that the T10 is a good EDC - it's a nice compact size has a nice beam and has the convenience of running on a single AA battery.

For me however, the TN12 (2014) is the ultimate EDC - obviously bigger, a bit more expensive and runs on an 18650 (which if you don't already have will cost more than the light once you factor in a good charger as well) but is a light that does pretty much everything in a pocketable size.

If you'd prefer something smaller than the T10 the Ti series are great keychain AAA lights.

At a push, you could EDC the TN11S v2 if you want a serious compact thrower (but again would need an 18650 battery and IMO a bit too big to EDC though some people do).

Whichever you go for I'm sure you'll be happy with, but it doesn't really matter which you start with as, once bitten, you're gonna end up with them all anyway :naughty:

Berneck1

Enlightened
For true EVERYDAY carry, I always go with an AA light. I do carry other lights (18650/CR123), but you can't always find a battery for them if you're in a bind. Like others have already mentioned, the T10 is the perfect place to start, and it's pretty inexpensive relative to other lights like it. If you're willing to pay more the Eagletac D25a is a very hard light to beat, and is a little more solid.

I've had good experiences with Thrunite so far, and you can't go wrong starting with the T10.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

coachnick

Newly Enlightened
Good morning Berneck1,

Thank you for the response. Good point about the availability of AA batteries, never thought of that. Never heard of the Eagletac, but will check it out. Can you recommend a website for the Eagletac?

Coach

For true EVERYDAY carry, I always go with an AA light. I do carry other lights (18650/CR123), but you can't always find a battery for them if you're in a bind. Like others have already mentioned, the T10 is the perfect place to start, and it's pretty inexpensive relative to other lights like it. If you're willing to pay more the Eagletac D25a is a very hard light to beat, and is a little more solid.

I've had good experiences with Thrunite so far, and you can't go wrong starting with the T10.

coachnick

Newly Enlightened
Hey ven,

Thanks for taking the time to post pics. I appreciate the comment about not using certain batteries, I would not have known that. I'm not a big fan of the stainless version but I do like the others and will check them out.

Have a fantastic day,

Coach

As above,i have the t10/t10s/t10t that use AA cells,i actually use 14500 in mine and get a considerably brighter medium and high although later models are not effected .Not supported either way so not advised to use 14500 cells!! They do work in mine though:D

Come in NW or CW

Simple 3 mode reverse clicky,lowest is 0.2lm/20/160 ish.
Changed clips thanks to Shelms recommendation for a longer type
T10t ti

T10s stainless

Review
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...inless-Steel)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

Berneck1

Enlightened
It's eagletac dot com. Not sure if people are allowed to post company links in here...

coachnick

Newly Enlightened
Hey ven,

Thanks for taking the time to post pics. I'm not a big fan of the stainless model but do like the others and will look into the T10. Also, I appreciate the heads-up with respect to the battery, I would not have known that.

Have a fantastic day,

Coach

ven

Flashaholic
Hi Coach,no problem,any time:)

Bonus with stainless is it does not mark easy when used as an edc,living with keys and coins is hard on anodized lights over time(sometimes not much time!)

The cheapest is the T10 alloy version and excellent value.........even if a back up or beater light

If you do go AA then recommend eneloops instead of alki cells. However if happy with 18650 sized lights,there is a significant jump in output and run time options........

Good luck with research and have a fantastic day yourself

Regards ven:thumbsup:

coachnick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again ven,

Good point about stainless not marking up easily.....for me that isn't a big concern if it does as, like you said, will be used as a beater.

Coach

Hi Coach,no problem,any time:)

Bonus with stainless is it does not mark easy when used as an edc,living with keys and coins is hard on anodized lights over time(sometimes not much time!)

The cheapest is the T10 alloy version and excellent value.........even if a back up or beater light

If you do go AA then recommend eneloops instead of alki cells. However if happy with 18650 sized lights,there is a significant jump in output and run time options........

Good luck with research and have a fantastic day yourself

Regards ven:thumbsup:

Cinthedark

Newly Enlightened
Hey Coach, no worries, glad to help.

Berneck1's point about the AAs is a good one and something I considered greatly with my first purchase. However in reality and for a number of reasons, you really don't need to worry about your 18650s running out on you.

Firstly, providing you're not constantly on turbo mode, they last ages. Secondly, when you buy the batteries as part of the bundle you get two, so you can always carry your spare charged and ready to go. Unlike being out in the wilderness with no means to charge your batteries, you can simply charge them up when you get home at night.

We're just coming out of winter here in the UK and I've been EDCing my TN12 all through. It's had considerable daily use (I mostly use Medium mode and Moonlight and occasionally High) and I generally only have had to recharge once a week. Plus the TN12 warns you when your battery is running low by blinking - I only had this happen once after very extensive use in high mode one day but was still able to drop to low mode and carry on without it dying on me. I have both the T10 and the TN12, they are both excellent but are completely different classed lights, the TN12 being in a completely different league to the T10.

If money is no object to you and you go for the bundle, I couldn't recommend the TN12 more highly, not only compared to any other Thrunite light, but any other light period. It is absolutely the best value for money and as you're using it as a beater you're not going to feel precious about it, what with it being considerably less money than any of the competition.

FWIW, I have the neutral white version as for me the light gives much better colour rendition over cool white and any loss in brightness is simply not noticeable as this thing is still crazy bright on turbo. Its beam is also the perfect combination of flood and throw with a very smooth transition - what more can I say, I love it!

Anyway, enjoy whatever you decide to go with and let us know what you decide in the end and how you get on with it.

Cheers.

coachnick

Newly Enlightened
Cinthedark,

Thanks again for the excellent points/information. Being new I'll take all I can get. Still in the info gathering mode so all is welcomed, seems like there is a ton out there so I have my work cut out for me.

Coach

Hey Coach, no worries, glad to help.

Berneck1's point about the AAs is a good one and something I considered greatly with my first purchase. However in reality and for a number of reasons, you really don't need to worry about your 18650s running out on you.

Firstly, providing you're not constantly on turbo mode, they last ages. Secondly, when you buy the batteries as part of the bundle you get two, so you can always carry your spare charged and ready to go. Unlike being out in the wilderness with no means to charge your batteries, you can simply charge them up when you get home at night.

We're just coming out of winter here in the UK and I've been EDCing my TN12 all through. It's had considerable daily use (I mostly use Medium mode and Moonlight and occasionally High) and I generally only have had to recharge once a week. Plus the TN12 warns you when your battery is running low by blinking - I only had this happen once after very extensive use in high mode one day but was still able to drop to low mode and carry on without it dying on me. I have both the T10 and the TN12, they are both excellent but are completely different classed lights, the TN12 being in a completely different league to the T10.

If money is no object to you and you go for the bundle, I couldn't recommend the TN12 more highly, not only compared to any other Thrunite light, but any other light period. It is absolutely the best value for money and as you're using it as a beater you're not going to feel precious about it, what with it being considerably less money than any of the competition.

FWIW, I have the neutral white version as for me the light gives much better colour rendition over cool white and any loss in brightness is simply not noticeable as this thing is still crazy bright on turbo. Its beam is also the perfect combination of flood and throw with a very smooth transition - what more can I say, I love it!

Anyway, enjoy whatever you decide to go with and let us know what you decide in the end and how you get on with it.

Cheers.