Trying to find the lowest color temp MR16 LED's available. Other suggestions?

Leethul

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to replace my 50w halogen bulbs with LED's in the lowest color temperature I can find. It's easy to find 2700k, but I've come across recent articles on these Cree MR16 bulbs that are allegedly available, but I cannot find them anywhere. No response so far from writing Aeon lighting, which I guess is who would be manufacturing these, although even that part is confusing from the articles.

http://www.led-professional.com/pro...alt-s-cree-based-2200k-sunset-glow-mr16-lamps

The only listing for 2200k bulbs I have found online would be here: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/10W-CRI90-25degree-12v-dimmable-mr16_60092388276.html , but it looks like this is an order of 1000?

So it looks like there are attachments for some MR16's that can change the color temp, but wouldn't that compromise the lumens? Other than that, I'm looking for any other suggestions on other types of lighting/fixtures/bulbs that I can light my place in the 1900-2200k range with. Is there a reason that no one seems to use HPS bulbs for indoor lighting? Thanks!

broadgage

Enlightened
LED MR16 in warmer than 2,700K are very rare and might need special manufacture hence the large minimum order that you have found.
Applying a suitable amber filter can make the light as warm as you want but at the cost of significant light loss.
Options include

Use 2,700 K lamps with amber filters and accept the loss of light.
Use multi colour RGB MR16s and set to a very warm white.
If multiple lamps are used, could you use mixed yellow or amber and warm white lamps ?

High pressure sodium lamps find little favour for domestic lighting for several reasons, they take several minutes to warm up, they need external control gear, they are bulky, and the smaller sizes are not that efficient. They can be used domesticly and have been, but this is very rare.

angerdan

Enlightened
I'm looking to replace my 50w halogen bulbs with LED's in the lowest color temperature I can find.Other than that, I'm looking for any other suggestions on other types of lighting/fixtures/bulbs that I can light my place in the 1900-2200k range with.
Try the Soraa MR16 Vivid 2 GU5.3 ColorShifter 2200K BeamSpreader 60°, it has real 2,537K:
schahl.de/Soraa_MR16_Vivid_2_GU5.3_10-Distributor-Speziallampen-LED-International.html
fastvoice.net/2014/12/25/im-test-soraa-led-spots-extrem-farbtreu-aber-nicht-perfekt/
fastvoice.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/MR16-50-B01-12-930-10-S3-Color-Shifter-2200K-Beam-Spreader60%C2%B0.pdf

Last edited:

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
MR16s are typically a little higher color temperature than regular incandescent bulbs. That was the whole point of driving the bulbs at lower voltages (so the filament could glow whiter while maintaining lamp life). When you have a spot bulb, you typically want slightly white brighter crisper light. That is the reason you are not going to find many MR16s below 2700K. If you want lower color temperatures, you might look into retrofit candle and candelabra bulbs.

Latest posts