Panasonic 3.6v vs 3.7v

Mukiwa19

Newly Enlightened
Im in the process of ordering some batteries and I'm looking at the Protected Panasonic 3400mh off of amazon. The only thing I'm not sure about is that there seem to be some that are 3.6V and some are 3.7V... is this just a marketing thing by amazon stores or is there actually a noticeable difference?

here are some links

2 3.7v panasonic protected 18650 - $19.80
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHXY72O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

4 3.6v panasonic protected 18650 -$26.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHXY72O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Mukiwa19

Newly Enlightened
The chart shows 18650's at 3.6v so I'm assuming that the ones advertised at 3.7v are another manufacturer rebranded as Panasonic? Will they be any better or am I over thinking this? I hate ordering something online when there is the possibility that for a little extra I can have something better.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always buy your cells and batteries from reputable dealers, who know the source of their cells/batteries.

Lots of fakes around, including Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloops and Panasonic NCR-Bs.

I'd pass on the Amazon stuff.

Buy cheap toilet paper and LITE beer, if you have to save a few bucks.

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! I tried to buy cheap toilet paper once...wife wasn't happy. I thought it was pretty good stuff actually.

Speaking of Amazon, check these out: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LC11N0M
Why would anyone put a little picture of FLAMES on the wrapper?!?! :laughing:

For the same reason a company would name its product 'TrustFire' and have flames?

Stupidity.

From HKJ's review:

DSC_0529.jpg

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/TrustFire TF18650 3000mAh (Flame) UK.html

Chris

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
A picture of a fire on a Trustfire product is like putting a picture of a banana on a banana or a picture of grapes on a bottle of wine.

:)

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The chart shows 18650's at 3.6v so I'm assuming that the ones advertised at 3.7v are another manufacturer rebranded as Panasonic? Will they be any better or am I over thinking this?
You're over thinking this. There are no 3.6V Panasonic 18650B's and 3.7V Panasonic 18650B's. In both cases you're talking about the same 18650B (=type) from Panasonic (=manufacturer). Which according to Panasonic itself, has a 3.6V nominal voltage, with typical capacity of 3350 mAh. The latter measured using the charge/discharge conditions found in the datasheet.

Anything other than that is just a different way to describe the same thing (aka marketing bla bla). Note that the 3.6V is just a kind of average along a charge/discharge curve, roughly halfway between peak voltage (~4.2V) and lowest that is considered empty/safe end voltage (usually ~3.0V). 3.7V is just a slightly value for what's regarded as "average", but doesn't change that charge/discharge curve, or the cell's properties.

Other than that, the only relevant thing about any seller offering Panasonic 18650B, is whether they're genuine Panasonic 18650B, or fake. A cell that says "Panasonic" and "18650B" on the label, but has a different cell under the wrapper, is simply a fake. In which case it could be anything, including sand-filled with a $0.10, 200 mAh pouch cell inside. :mad:

Note that these 18650B's are bare cells (unprotected) only. Protected versions of these are "Panasonic 18650B inside, protection circuit + wrapper by a 3rd party". Which come with different circuits & different colored wrappers, and may or may not have the advertized cell inside... :D

I hate ordering something online when there is the possibility that for a little extra I can have something better.
In that case pay attention to who/where you're buying from, at least as much as reading the advert. ;)

"Better" depends on what equipment you use a cell in, and a variety of other factors besides a single mAh number (build quality / safety / how many years or cycles they might last / high-current capability, protected or bare cell, etc, etc).

For example one of my last 18650 buys, I faced the choice between a (discounted) 6 Euro, 2900 mAh cell made by Samsung, or buying a Panny 18650B (which IIRC was ~10 Euro at the time). Since most of my lights aren't high-draw, useful capacity should be close to the specced numbers for me. Which made me go for the Samsung here: roughly 85% of the highest available capacity, for almost half the price. More than enough capacity for my uses, higher price/performance ratio, and thus (for me, in that particular case) the "better" option. What's "better" for you simply depends on your uses, budget and priorities.