Light bars for Subaru Forester

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
looking to throw a low profile led light bar under the roof rack on my forester to help cut down on shadows in the road, already have good lights on the front, this is just a little something extra.
Looking for 31"/800mm single row led in the midrange price point.
Ive found ledbars with identical manufacturer specs for prices from $50 to over $1000. And no really consistent review sites.
I dont really feel the need to spend 1k on a secondary light which can only ever be used offroad but I also dont want to waste 200 on something when I might be able to get 10 times the actual output for only twice as much.

Suggestions?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: 2015 led light bars ?

Hey guys,
looking to throw a low profile led light bar under the roof rack on my forester to help cut down on shadows in the road, already have good lights on the front, this is just a little something extra.
Looking for 31"/800mm single row led in the midrange price point.
Ive found ledbars with identical manufacturer specs for prices from $50 to over $1000. And no really consistent review sites.
I dont really feel the need to spend 1k on a secondary light which can only ever be used offroad but I also dont want to waste 200 on something when I might be able to get 10 times the actual output for only twice as much.

Suggestions?

All of the specs of importance come down to what will be happening while you are driving with these on.

For example:

1) Crawling along a fire road at slow speed on the way to a fishing spot?

2) Driving down a long straight road lined by trees (Or other vertical obstructions to sight/hiding deer, etc)

3) Driving along a very curvy road lined by trees

4) Driving along a road bordered by nothing but fields/open space/open lines of sight

5) How fast are you going?

6) How far can you see in these locations if it were daylight?

Think of all the scenarios that might apply as to when you might need the extra light....add the qualifications on speed and distance. Obviously, there will be a mix of conditions, so, think of the ones that would be most limiting/hardest to overcome in your projected drives, etc.

The lumen output is a good spec as far as TOTAL output, but, the less expensive makers tend to LIE about the specs. Other specs that are important and almost never supplied are the cd (Tells you how FAR the beam is projecting with how much light at what distances), the IPX ratings (How dust/water resistant it is), and, things you can't see but make enormous differences in performance and longevity, such as the quality of the seals, the depth of thread overlaps, the heat sinking, the thickness of wires and the quality of the soldering, etc.

So LED Light Bar A might advertise 20,000 lumens and a price of $300, and give you almost nothing else about it but a pic, which may or may not include a disclaimer that the pic may not be of what they send you. It may have derived that lumen out put from either just making it more than whatever they noticed their competition had advertised, or, just multiplying what the LED maker said the max output would be for each LED, by the number of LED's.

That means that the real lumen output was never measured, and that, due to a lack of heatsinking, thin wires, poor ground paths, poor solder, the losses at lenses/optics, lower than max spec current, and so forth, the actual output might be 5,000 lumens instead of the 20k advertised.

5 k is still a lot of light though, but, on the cheaper lights, they KNOW that newbs who buy their stuff will think the light is "Hella Bright! if most of that light is cast in a bright pool right in front of you, so that the glare stops your pupils down, changes your eye chemistry from night adapted to day adapted, and, makes you go "WOW!!! That's BRIGHT!....but also makes it harder to see anything past that bright pool of light.

The best lights will put very LITTLE light right in front of you, as your headlights are typically in need of very little ADDED light close up, but REALLY need help out where the low beams end/the hi's are running out of juice...to EXTEND your line of sight.

So if the better light makes 15,000 honest lumens, and puts most of them down range where your headlights were leaving things a bit dim...your night vision is still working, and, you CAN now see things out there you couldn't with just headlights.

The too much proximal light scenario, while WORKING to make newbs THINK that they have great lights (They LOOK BRIGHT!), don't actually work in real life to do what the newb THOUGHT they were going to do for them (Help them see better, avoid more deer, etc)

In racing for example, they discuss it in terms of the newbs seeing what they are crashing into really well, vs the more experienced guys seeing what they WOULD HAVE crashed into because they saw it in time.

:D

A roof light shines down more than a headlight, so the added dimension fills the shadows cast by lower mounted lighting, and provides a more 3D view.

And so forth....so, in that regard, those lights will help, and, after that, its about "how much".

Last edited:

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened

Generally speaking I wont be going that fast. 30 to 50 mph is about average in your measurements, topping out at maybe 75mph on what little straights there will be.
Mostly twisty undulating road in dense forrest with high chance of animals.
I already have 6 lights on the front which includes 2x at a 30 degree offset in order to scan sides of road and help with hairpin bends. And another set that put solid light out beyond 1,600 ft.
I'm just looking for that higher angle to help spot mid sized wash outs earlier so I dont snap something if I can avoid it.

N.b. it will also serve as backup for main lights should I fail to avoid something and turn another set of front mounts into scrap metal and plastic.

Last edited:

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened

So no suggestions on makes ? Its really only to fill in a 3rd layer over the the 50 ft to 800ft area, No need for extreme range on them.
Just wanting something that is actually value for money, Respectable light levels, good thermal control if stationary and not likely to flicker or die if exposed to high levels of vibration and or the very occasional impact of vehicle hitting bump stops when landing back on the ground.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey guys,
Roof-mounted lights can have the nasty tendency to light up the hood of the vehicle and otherwise present excessive foreground lighting and backscatter.

Generally speaking I wont be going that fast. 30 to 50 mph is about average in your measurements, topping out at maybe 75mph on what little straights there will be.
75mph is a little fast for night driving on poor roads, even with (and perhaps due to) roof lighting.

I already have 6 lights on the front which includes 2x at a 30 degree offset in order to scan sides of road and help with hairpin bends. And another set that put solid light out beyond 1,600 ft.

Definitely sounds like it's a recipe for excessive foreground light.

fastgun

Enlightened

Both Wurton and Aurora are highly regarded by those who use them in harsh off road conditions.
I know Aurora is easy to find in your country.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened

Thanks fastgun, will have a look into those.

Alaric, There is not currently excessive light out the front, ie i do not loose animals in the glare. I have some pencil beams for extreme long range, euro ish beams for mid and the offset floods for cornering. Each are individually switched pairs. Roof led is going to be set back about 2ft from the top of the windscreen using the leading edge of the roof to shadow the bonnet. I'm pretty confident that a led bar will improve my current lighting situation but do thank you for your concern.
Ive driven a car with 4x 100w hid floods and 2 50" Chinese led bars, I understand the point you are trying to make, it is not currently an issue I experience with my vehicle. Should it develop the most likely solution will to be to remove a pair off the front in order to maintain the higher angle from the roof light and increase clean air flow over the radiator.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pretty sure your 6 lights on the front are already too many (unless you are counting headlamps)
Here in WA its a max of 4 fitted symmetrically in pairs to be road legal (race cars are different, and the answers will be in the CAMS manual)
Theres a sticky at the top of this subforum with links to some documents on vehicle lighting.

Also - what shape forester ? And what does it look like with 6 lights across the front ? Any pics ?

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
mid range 2015 single row led light bars

So I'm going to ask again as there has to be more than a couple of good options out there,
I'm looking for a 31" approx 30 to 32 acceptable led light bar.
Prefer to spend in the 200 to 400 bracket.
Single row.
Low profile.

Have been looking about, how do the osram leds compare to cree stuff? that aurora 30" single row isn't looking bad. Don't really want to spend that much on what is essentially a backup for if I loose the lights on the front again and to help fill in shadows.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
Re: mid range 2015 single row led light bars

[Rule 8 violation removed by moderator] My vehicle will be legal even with a light bar and there is sufficient not excessive lighting. Lights may even be removed from front if new roof mounted led is effective enough enough. Mounting point will leave 0 glare on bonnet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars

I have a Baja designs ONEX light bar for off road use. They are pricy but well worth the investment.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I'm going to ask again as there has to be more than a couple of good options out there,

In the future, rather than starting a new thread, just update your original thread since it's for the same question and the original thread is so recent. I've merged your new thread into the older one to keep things tidy.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened

I couldn't find the original thread, it got renamed somehow :7 otherwise I would have.
But yeah, I'm looking for a mid range not top end bar, I have good lights on the front, but have had them smashed before from fist sized rocks thrown up from vehicle in front and animal impacts. So I want something up high, but I don't want excessive drag killing my fuel efficiency and don't need overkill as it is going to be used in less than 10% of my driving situations, however I also don't want to go cheep ebay junk because when I really need it, I'm going to really need it.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have good lights on the front, but have had them smashed before from fist sized rocks thrown up from vehicle in front and animal impacts.
Sounds like a case of following too closely (although sometimes that's hard to help), and going too fast for conditions (although with animals, sometimes that's also harder to help). Many people mistake their bright lighting with "being able to see"-- I've seen more cars hit deer that have been equipped with (and using) extra lights than by people with the normal factory lighting. Granted, this is my anecdotal observation, but what I know of the human optical system and human behavior, it doesn't surprise me that the vehicle with all the extra lights is engaged in more nocturnal and crepuscular vehicle accidents with wildlife compared to stock vehicles.

So I want something up high, but I don't want excessive drag killing my fuel efficiency and don't need overkill as it is going to be used in less than 10% of my driving situations, however I also don't want to go cheep ebay junk because when I really need it, I'm going to really need it.

Actually, 10% of your driving situations is quite a bit. And you don't want to skimp just because you don't think you'll use them that often-- the last thing you need is a good bounce knocking that new light off the roof and then that light not being there when you do need it. It may be worth the hit in aerodynamics to have the more solidly-mounted lights with a stouter mounting bar.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, overtaking at speed on narrow rocky roads can be, erm, Interesting. Its something I prefer to avoid but on occasion must be done to make a checkpoint.
Hard points on the vehicle for mounting are not an issue, Will mount on the front of the bars holding the comms package. The comms pack is aerodynamic tho, below 2" in total height and spans the width of the roof, Hence wanting a single row 31" (will fit nicely between the knock down mounts for the roof mounted antenna's) and can be forward mounted to maintain a similar frontal aspect.
I can adjust the positioning of the cross bar in order to use the front edge of the roof to create a small occlusion of light on the bonnet so I do not get glare.
I should clarify 10% of my NIGHT driving.
Each of my current pairs is individually switched.
Ie I don't run the pencil beams unless I have long open straights.
I don't run the 30 degree offsets unless I'm in tight corners.

The aurora 30" is currently looking like my best option, I really would prefer something a little less expensive, But if everything below that is just junk, Guess that's the way I will go. Don't know why, But having a 300-400 light ripped off the roof by a low hanging branch hurts less than having a 500-1000 light set shredded.

If you guys can think of something of acceptable quality less than the aurora's let me know ? Otherwise if something like that doesn't exist let me know so I can stop wasting my time looking and just bite the bullet so to speak.

SemiMan

Banned

. Don't know why, But having a 300-400 light ripped off the roof by a low hanging branch hurts less than having a 500-1000 light set shredded.

Excuse my ignorance, but has anyone ever made a heavy duty spring or breakaway mount ..... for lack of a better analogy, like rear view mirrors that don't break when a pedestrian walks into them?

Semiman

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened

There are some really nice knock down antenna mounts that would quite easily support a 9" hid, retail at 130aud per mount tho, I've got a pair of them for my roof mount antenna's

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excuse my ignorance, but has anyone ever made a heavy duty spring or breakaway mount

There are some really nice knock down antenna mounts that would quite easily support a 9" hid

The one drawback I could see is that while antennas can wiggle and wobble a bit without any real issue, a light so mounted may constantly be pointing all about depending on the bumpiness of the road. Not a huge issue for anyone else but the driver, but it could be a distraction. The less wobbly the mount, the more likely that a solid impact will still damage the lamp (but at least help prevent rooftop damage itself).

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Based on check point references, etc, it sounds more like a rally application rather than a daily commute scenario. :popcorn:

50 - 800' is a fairly deep range to fill.

~ 800' range takes a light with ~ 300k cd to put 5 lux on something ~ 800' away.

~ 50' would take only ~ 1.1k cd to do the same thing...so, the distribution pattern for a single light to fill 50 - 800' is daunting....

...As that same ~ 300k cd means you have more like 1,300 lux at 50', and so forth.

Most light bars, especially the less expensive ones, would put too much light proximally, and not enough distally....for your target range of concern.

Instead of one long bar, you might be better off with some intermediate range lights aimed to hit the areas of concern...or a bar with outstanding spots that do not illuminate the proximal ranges, combined with a series of lesser spots that taper the illumination to the range, etc.