Need candleabra bulbs!

markr6

Flashaholic
I just tried some candleabra base bulbs for my chandelier, but I realize I need something that throws light 360° or close to it.

Does anyone know of any that fit my needs?

- Dimmable
- 40w equivalent ~350lumens
- 360° or close to it. Most LEDs have a plastic base and leave the diffused glass cover dark.
- I need 9, so this can get expensive. I'd like to keep it well under $10/bulb
- 2700K-3000K
- The frosted glass completely covers the bulb, so I don't care what it looks like

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Something like this?
http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=5051

There are fully omnidirectional small base LED bulbs, but they are mostly low power, under 3 watts.

Just goes to show that LED cannot replace incandescent in ALL situations (at least not always easily)

Since retrofit LED bulbs have to carry their own power supply, not to mention cooling fins, there tends to be fewer options when the LED takes the form of a candelabra bulb, less space to fit everything in.

markr6

Flashaholic
That looks real close. 280 lumens may be a bit low though. I think I'll need to wait until the price comes down on these smaller types to make it worthwhile. Just looking to save energy on this 9-bulb hog! And of course, it's the light that's always on in our house.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
What about the Spotlite USA Edison Collection Vintage LED Filament - E12 Base - Candelabra - 4 Watt - 2700K - 400 lumens ?

One issue though, these bulbs do not really have any space for circuitry so they do not bother smoothing out the waveform from the AC outlet supply. I think the power is rectified before it goes in to the LEDs, but there is still 120Hz flicker, which can be seen as a strobe-like effect if you wave your hand back and forth really fast. This is generally not very noticeable and does not bother most people (not as bad as 60Hz flicker), but a few people may prefer absolutely flicker-free bulbs. Just goes to show, when there is not enough space available to fit everything into the retrofit shape, there are often design trade-offs.

Last edited: