Review: Fenix LD75C (4x XM-L2, XM-L color, 4x 18650/8x CR123a, 4200 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
Reviewers note; This review is based on a prototype sample. It's possible that final shipping product is (slightly)different. Being a prototype, this sample came without packaging and/or accessories.

21e9to5.jpg

2djxdgg.jpg

As many of you know, 2014 was the year of many multi-led flashlight releases. Fenix latest multi-led flashlight, is the LD75C. Besides utilizing four Cree XM-L2 U2 leds, the LD75C also has a Cree XM-L color led.
This color led features green, red, blue and white color. Filters won't be necessary with this light ;)

The packaging:

Normally this sections shows the packaging, where the light comes in. Being a prototype, this light came without a box and accessories.
Fenix does show a info-pic on their website that shows, that the LD75C comes in a cardboard box. Printing on the box features the light and some specification.

Features and Specifications: (given by Fenix)

·Utilizes Cree XM-L2 U2 LEDs and XM-L color LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Powered by 4 rechargeable Li-ion 18650 batteries or 8 CR123A lithium batteries
·158mm (6.22'') x 52mm (2.04'') x 74mm (2.91'')
·430-gram (15.16oz) excluding batteries
·Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
·Double circuit design for flexible power options and better reliability
·Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
·Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
·Side switches for ON/OFF and output selection
·Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
·Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
·Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

w83khl.jpg

While Fenix states the max output is 4200 lumens, their spec chart shows Turbo gives you max 4000 lumens. When running the light in Turbo, only four leds light-up. To get the full 4200 lumens, press and hold the C-button to turn On the color led, while the light is in Turbo.

Final packaging should include; a manual, warranty card, holster, lanyard and a spare o-ring.

k1fdyh.jpg
2hdnzg0.jpg

2i7s574.jpg
t7n521.jpg

osu9a0.jpg
2mri99c.jpg

The LD75C looks similar as the TK75. Later in this review a side-by-side look ;)
Although, with batteries installed, it's a heavy package it does lay comfortable in the hand. Buttons are easy to operate and are different in shape and height.
Knurling is enough to have a decent grip on the light. Besides some flat spots on the tailcap, there isn't really a anti-roll feature.

6en0nr.jpg

User Interface:

Because Fenix uses multiple buttons to operate the light, it's a simple to understand UI.

10fnerq.jpg

There are three buttons to operate the LD75C. The left button, with the C indication, is for the color led. The right button, with On/Off logo, turns the light On/Off and is used for mode switching.
The lower button, with sun-indication, is for the instant Strobe and instant Turbo. Although Fenix states on the website the instant Turbo is momentary, it wasn't the case on my sample. It was instant but rather continues instead of momentary.

From Off: Press and hold the C button to turn On the color-led. Press once to cycle between the modes, for the color-led. Press twice quickly for a remaining power readout. For three seconds, the light will show if you've enough power or if it's time to charge the batteries. Constant Green shows sufficient power level. Constant Blue is High power level. Constant Red is low power level. Blinking red is critical power level, and batteries should be charged.
The LD75C has a mode memory for the color led.

From Off: Press and hold the On/Off button to turn the light On. The LD75C has a mode memory for the constant output modes. When On, click once to cycle between Eco, Low, Medium, High and Turbo. In any of these modes it's possible to also include the color led with the color white. Just press and hold the C-button.
From Off: Press the Sun-icon once for instant Strobe. Press again to turn Off the Strobe. The Strobe varies between frequency.
Press and hold the Sun-icon to enter instant Turbo. A single click will turn the light Off.
When On: press Sun-icon for instant Strobe or press and hold for instant Turbo. Press button again to return to previous output level.

There is no lock-out mode, on the LD75C.

6nrqx0.jpg
2nizi9x.jpg

2zfr346.jpg
2wdcytj.jpg

The LD75C doesn't need battery carrier to accommodate the batteries. On both ends of the battery is a spring to absorb any shocks. The two raised metal pins also feature a spring action. The
pins will line-up the tailcap properly. Four little icons show how to insert the batteries.

1ic1nk.jpg

14t9fyc.jpg
288b49y.jpg

The tailcap has two large cut-outs to attach a lanyard. Yes, it does tail stand ;)

A look at head with the leds and reflector.

i4pks9.jpg
2n6gmja.jpg

As you can see, the reflector part for the color-led has been textured for a smoother beam. When using the color-led you don't have a smooth round shaped beam. Mainly because you've one reflector and four leds. (i.e. led doesn't line-up precisely with the reflector). The bezel is made out of stainless steel and has a nice (dark)gray color.

The leds were quite good centered in my sample.

5xo84p.jpg
2s9y6x0.jpg

j9pzr7.jpg
1zxqqvo.jpg

Being a prototype there are a few machining marks on the light.
It looks like there is enough metal around the head area to manage heat. A test run on my desk, at room temperature showed the following result: Before start-up three batteries where at 4.16V, one at 4.15V.
After 5 minutes there was no step down. Light was hot at the head but only warm at the battery compartment. After 10 minutes the light still didn't step down. At this point the light was to hot to hold comfortably.
I also turned-Off the light at that point. Battery readout was; 2x 3.97V, 1x 3.98V and 1x 3.99V (measured with a Voltcraft VC175 multimeter).

Size comparison:

e6c8k0.jpg
166yyvr.jpg

From left to right; Olight SR52vn, Fenix LD75C, Fenix TK75.

LD75C and TK75 next to each other :)

2ep4ief.jpg

Indoor Beamshots:
ISO100, 1/100 sec, f/4.0 - Canon 500D. Light approx 0.25m / Camera 0.75m away from wall. Eagletac 18650 (3100mAh) batteries were used.

2i0ratl.jpg
ve8wlg.jpg
nh1fyx.jpg

344fmf9.jpg
wk1xkp.jpg

142763341248323.gif

Don't know why or how it happened, but in the photo of the Blue-color, there is also red visible. During the use of the Blue-led I didn't see any Red at all.

jz6rur.jpg
2ds9wp.jpg
2mwhts7.jpg
e6um2x.jpg

142763392370323.gif

24l6i2x.jpg
f8e0z.jpg
zwc6tl.jpg
2qml05s.jpg

142763414784126.gif

142763434283172.gif
142763442278714.gif

Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, 0.8 sec, f/4 - Turbo mode. Path about 80 meters deep. Picture isn't sharply focused.

25qcbr9.jpg
w2lv8o.jpg

Conclusion:

The LD75C packs quite a punch in that little package. Although it's not that throwy as the TK75, it does provide a nice wide bright beam. Built quality speaks for it self, as it is a Fenix light.
UI will be simply to understand for most. Some may prefer a single-button UI, but that would make this light way too complicated in my opinion. The color-led is a nice feature to have, and I used it more
than I expected when I received this sample. Colors are brighter than the known 5mm leds and are useful enough for a 3-6 meters in front of you.
The battery power indication is a feature what most will appreciate, but a lockout mode still isn't present. With the tailcap loosened two and a half turns, my sample still stays On.
All in all, the LD75C is another great addition in the Fenix line-up. :)

LD75C was supplied by KATO Group for review, on behalf of Fenix.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: Fenix LD75C (4x XM-L2, XM-L color, 4x 18650/8x CR123a, 4000 lumens)

Thank you for the review. I have had my eye on this since the 2015 catalog was released. I love Fenix and have been wanting a 3500+ lumen flood light so this is the best of both worlds. The color is just icing on the cake as well as the great ui, I hate single buttons. This will be my first 18650 light for sure, now just to decide whether to get a stock one or wait and see what magic Vinh can work.

kj75

Enlightened

Thanks for your review! A lot of (beam)shots and a nice comparison with the tk75-brother :)

haro

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the review.
I have already the TK75 but the new LD75c seems to be very interesting. It is a little smaller and with less weight and has more lumen.
The UI is not so complicated as I thought at the first.

ven

Flashaholic

Great review and thanks for sharing,wow i cant believe how compact it is,i was expecting the head to be similar to the tk75.........

Length wise other than head,its similar to the sr52 which imo is quite a compact medium light..........pretty amazing package is this.

Still not tempted though.........

yet!

kj2

Flashaholic

Thanks all :)

Ven: compared with the TK75, it's small indeed. When I first heard about this light, I was expecting it to be around the same size. Specially the head. Battery-tube of the SR52 is slightly smaller, but that's because it runs on 1 battery less, of course ;)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

By the look of things, unless Fenix has protected the light with a reverse polarity devise I don't see, this looks like a light waiting to be fried.

Normally lights that have solid contact points like in the tail cap indicate that they are the positive terminals.

2wdcytj.jpg

Your picture shows 2 cells with positive facing up and 2 facing down. Was this done intentionally or is this the battery lay out?

1ic1nk.jpg

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic

By the look of things, unless Fenix has protected the light with a reverse polarity devise I don't see, this looks like a light waiting to be fried.

Normally lights that have solid contact points like in the tail cap indicate that they are the positive terminals.

Your picture shows 2 cells with positive facing up and 2 facing down. Was this done intentionally or is this the battery lay out?
The light has a reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation, and the batteries are correct installed in that picture. That's the lay out.
Little logos between the batteries indicate, in which direction the batteries have to be inserted.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

The light has a reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation, and the batteries are correct installed in that picture. That's the lay out.
Little logos between the batteries indicate, in which direction the batteries have to be inserted.

I'll bet you that Fenix unless they make a change to the battery compartment is going to get a lot of these lights back for fried drivers.

This pic shows the springs inside the light.
6nrqx0.jpg

This pic shows the small marking of battery polarity.

2nizi9x.jpg

I don't see any type of a mechanical method to keep the cells from being installed incorrectly.

I recall Venh stating that he had fried a TM06 due to battery polarity. That light had two springs for the negative contacts inside the light with two buttons for the positive contacts. The tail cap had two springs for the negatives and two flats for the positive contacts.

kj2

Flashaholic

I'll bet you that Fenix unless they make a change to the battery compartment is going to get a lot of these lights back for fried drivers.

This pic shows the springs inside the light. ...

This pic shows the small marking of battery polarity. ...

I don't see any type of a mechanical method to keep the cells from being installed incorrectly.

I recall Venh stating that he had fried a TM06 due to battery polarity. That light had two springs for the negative contacts inside the light with two buttons for the positive contacts. The tail cap had two springs for the negatives and two flats for the positive contacts.

IIRC, I've other Fenix lights which have polarity protection without having it visible. Indication is clear for me, and the manual is probably very clear on how to insert the batteries.

There are more lights which have springs on both end. You wouldn't put a battery the wrong way in a 1x 18650 light, would you?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

IIRC, I've other Fenix lights which have polarity protection without having it visible. Indication is clear for me, and the manual is probably very clear on how to insert the batteries.

There are more lights which have springs on both end. You wouldn't put a battery the wrong way in a 1x 18650 light, would you?

kj2,

I've only got five Fenix lights, 2 TK41's, a TK61, a TK75 and a TK75vnKT. All of these lights use a battery carrier. In every case, the negative terminal is a spring contact. The positive contact is a button. I don't have to look for the installation pictograph for polarity as the light uses the typical spring on negative, button on positive arraignment.

IMO, Fenix screwed up by designing this light with four springs inside the light for both negative and positive contacts.

And as for inserting a battery in a single cell 18650 light, I can't say without seeing the light in question. I do have a couple of cheep CR123 lights that use a reversed cell configuration. Those lights just don't turn on if the cell is in backwards.

kj2

Flashaholic

kj2,

I've only got five Fenix lights, 2 TK41's, a TK61, a TK75 and a TK75vnKT. All of these lights use a battery carrier. In every case, the negative terminal is a spring contact. The positive contact is a button. I don't have to look for the installation pictograph for polarity as the light uses the typical spring on negative, button on positive arraignment.

IMO, Fenix screwed up by designing this light with four springs inside the light for both negative and positive contacts.
It may require some more attention when inserting the batteries. When I first received the light, without any manual, I also didn't know how to correctly insert the batteries. After a look on the LD75C product page, it was clear to me. But that's only because it didn't come with a manual.

Yes, we normally expect a spring at one end, and a solid contact at the other when dealing with multiple cells. Just something to keep in mind, when using this light.

kj2

Flashaholic

Update on the UI: it's possible to turn On the color led, white color, in any constant output mode. So when in Turbo mode, and you turn On the color led, you'll get the full 4200 lumens output.

bladesmith3

Enlightened

I think that most non flashaholic's will automatically assume that the springs are the negative end. I just asked a friend who said he would have thought the same thing. just an opinion.

kj2

Flashaholic

I think that most non flashaholic's will automatically assume that the springs are the negative end. I just asked a friend who said he would have thought the same thing. just an opinion.
It's different than normal, indeed. But that's why it comes with a manual ;)

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crap, I thought I've commented on this post. It seems I did not. Got somewhat confused with other posts.:ohgeez:

Anyway thanks a lot kj2! Really appreciate it!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review, thank you kj2!

Latest posts