LED Strip light question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

volkalighting

Banned
Hello All,
I am planning on putting LED strip lights in the home theater soffit.Room is 27 X 13.Would need about 90 ft of strip light to run the whole soffit. the strip light comes with 16 ft roll which means that I need 6 rolls.
Here are my questions
1. These rolls come with a 12V 5 AMP adapter and I don't want to put 6 adapters in the soffit. Can I buy one adapter that can power the length of the soffit.Saw 320 W adapters on ebay/amazon, but am not sure how good they are.

Can somebody recommend a good adapter?

2. When all the 6 rolls are connected into one single strip, can I use just one remote to control all the lights?Can anyone please suggest a website to provide LED strip lights.

[Weblink associated with username deleted - Kestrel]

Last edited by a moderator:

broadgage

Enlightened
I can not recommend connecting multiple lengths of LED strip light directly to a higher wattage power supply.
Whilst it might seem that a single larger unit could be used instead of multiple small ones, consider what would happen in the event of a short circuit in the light strip or connecting wire. The much larger than intended power supply can supply a lot more current with increased risk of fire.
The copper tracks on the light strip are very thin and probably designed to be only just adequate for the normal running current.

Also a failure of the power unit would put ALL the lights out.

I would use the supplied adaptors and find a well ventilated space to locate them all.

Alternatively, use a single large DC power supply and a fuse for each section of light strip, automotive fuses and holders would be suitable. The fuses should be no larger than current demand of each strip, 5 amps in this case.
To replace six units each 12 volts at 5 amps, you will need one rated at 12 volts, 30 amps, which is 360 watts and not 320 watts as proposed.

A single remote control will control all the strips, but depending on the layout, you may have to point it at each receiver in turn. Do not count on one press of a button controlling 6 light strips in different parts of the room.
Controllers are available that control multiple light strips from one large controller and a single large power supply, but these tend to be a lot more expensive.

ro63rto

Newly Enlightened
Look up CCTV distribution box.
A basic 5 chan one running 12vdc/5a to each is around £40-£50.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm wondering what kind of remote you are using on these is it wired or wireless and does it come with EACH set of lights or is is separate from them?

Last edited by a moderator:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
my advice do not use strips, you will be replacing them in few month time, (if you use them 12 or more hours a day.) they will lose 1\2-2\3 of their brightness. most of those strips have high resistance, and do not pull rated current, at 12v they get hot, and degrade, it wont matter if you glue them to aluminum, i threw away about half a dosen rolls that buned out\degraded. they are made to be cheap, not so much reliable.

now if you still insist, connecting them into 1 long strip is not a good idea, they have high resistance as single, you will only make it 6 times worst if you do connect them as one. you voltage will drop more, and strips wont be as bright on one end, rasing voltage will only increase resistance, and losses, and will produce more heat.

however there is a way you can avoid some part of the problem, you'd have to run thick wire on each side of the strip, assuming your strip is not waterproof and you can splice into it, connect power not only to 1 end, but at every meter or two, this way thick low resistance wire will carry the current, and tape will be fed every meter or two off of the carry wires, which will greatly reduce losses, and heat due to resistance, (you still have problem with heat that is produced by the leds).

but if you do not want to replace the strip every few months, you will have to run it at lower voltage\current, at 9v these strips can run none stop for years and not get hot. but you'd need to double their amount, since they wont be as bright.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm going to close this thread as the OP looks to be a spammer, with a recent re-post:
LED Strip light question?

Edit: It really frustrates me to think that helpful members who have replied here have had their time wasted in such a fashion. :mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.