silent simple EDC with NO strobe or blinking

endorphin71

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post so I'd like to thank everyone who has already helped me, as I have browsed through the detailed reviews and commentaries on this forum.

This is my first time looking to buy a "proper" flashlight. I don't do too much camping, though I enjoy hillwalking. However, I will be visiting some caves in a couple of months, so I thought I should be prepared. Also, I need something better for around the house when the power goes out. Currently I have a small generic flash I use for locating stuff in my bag/rucksack. It's useless for everything else.

I have two special requirements. Though I have read through a lot of reviews, these are not priorities for most people and so rarely get mentioned.

FIRST: No strobe or blinking of any kind. I am photosensitive. I do not want a strobe that I can even accidentally activate.

SECOND: Completely silent operation. I enjoy field recording and do not want any clicking sounds on recordings I might make.

Now the general features I would like.

Operation on standard rechargeable AA or AAA. I never use disposables and already have a conditioned recharger for standard cells. I have read of some lights that have a barrel too narrow for Sanyo Eneloops (for example). That would suck.

Compact size -- one or two batteries. 4" or so.

An LED lamp with wide flood for general use, though it would be amazing if I could change the flood between wide and narrow. I do not need an especially long throw. Consistency of the beam is more important to me.

Brightness up to 150-200 lumens, but also low illumination for discrete use. Two or three settings plenty (low / med / high). I want a simple light that is easy to operate, with no special modes.

Memory recall of the last setting. If I set the beam on low I want it on low the next time I turn on the light.

Durability an light weight shouldn't be a problem given the market. Water resistance not a priority, but most of the good torches have that.

Price below £50 / $80. I will be buying online in the EU.

Something like the Nitecore Explorer EA2 would be great if it didn't have the blinking red LED. Although it seems to have a very focused beam which is also not my priority.

As for styling, I find the "tactical" look off-putting, but I will live with what I get.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Amelia

Enlightened
This one's easy.

L3 Illumination L10.

Single AA, twisty (completely silent), and you have your choice of 3 or 4 modes. I like the 4 mode (with "moonlight" super-low). You can also get it with a Nichia 219 high-CRI emitter, though those have been sold out lately... I talked with the guy at SB Flashlights on the phone recently, and he said more are on the way toward the first part of April. Definitely worth the wait if you like high-CRI lights.

Great lights!

endorphin71

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion!

The L3 Illumination L10 doesn't quite meet my needs. First, it has no memory function, though at least it starts off on the dimmest setting. I am also not fond of twist action, since I prefer a light I can use with one hand -- and I am not that dexterous! Watching the video review from selfbuilt, I also hear that the twist makes a distinct friction sound, which would not meet my silence criterion. When I am making field recordings I might need a light to check the recorder, but often I need to be completely silent. (OK, I could likely lube this up with something to quiet it down.) Further, I haven't found an EU purchase point, though they certainly are cheap in the USA!

Since posting I have ordered the Nitecore MT06 Penlight, although it does click and has no memory. The clincher was that I found it for €25 including shipping! Can't resist at that price.

I will keep looking for a second flashlight that uses a (nearly) silent tail switch.

Amelia

Enlightened

The L3 Illumination L10 doesn't quite meet my needs. First, it has no memory function, though at least it starts off on the dimmest setting. I am also not fond of twist action, since I prefer a light I can use with one hand -- and I am not that dexterous! Watching the video review from selfbuilt, I also hear that the twist makes a distinct friction sound, which would not meet my silence criterion. When I am making field recordings I might need a light to check the recorder, but often I need to be completely silent. (OK, I could likely lube this up with something to quiet it down.) Further, I haven't found an EU purchase point, though they certainly are cheap in the USA!

Since posting I have ordered the Nitecore MT06 Penlight, although it does click and has no memory. The clincher was that I found it for €25 including shipping! Can't resist at that price.

I will keep looking for a second flashlight that uses a (nearly) silent tail switch.

Oops... I misread your post as wanting no memory! :(
I have 3 L10's, and none of them make any sound when twisting... completely silent. selfbuilt must have received a faulty sample.
Anyway, if you want a twisty with mode memory, Thrunite makes the T10... don't have one, but the reviews are good.

Berneck1

Enlightened

Wow, if you're working with equipment that is even picking up the twisting sound, I have to think there is no such light that is that silent in operation. I have a couple with an electronic switch, like the Thrunite Neutron 2A V2. It's very quiet, you might want to try it. I'm away and don't have it with me, but I don't think it makes a click sound if you're gentle with it. I'll check tomorrow and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

endorphin71

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the additional suggestions! Will check them out.

I think in reality I can make any of the twist stuff silent enough. It's only that I have an RSI and so prefer avoiding such actions.

Wow, if you're working with equipment that is even picking up the twisting sound, I have to think there is no such light that is that silent in operation.

I am indeed working with very sensitive recording equipment, sometimes in very quiet regions. I have to be very careful not to make any sound myself since even breathing or the slightest rustling of clothes will get picked up. In fact that's why a torch will be useful... I can illuminate the recorder from a distance and read the screen or display lights without getting too close.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a reed switch with a magnet sliding over it, would be virtually silent. But I don't think I've seen that kind of switch on lights discussed on this forum. I saw it once on a cheap 'shake' light (magnet & coil), which wouldn't be of any use here. So you might have to do a home build to get a decent light with that type of switch.

Next best is probably a twisty, especially with properly greased threads. Should be damn near, if not completely silent. I'd guess alu threads are perhaps more silent than stainless steel or titanium, as the base metal is softer. Not sure about fine vs. course threads, though. :thinking:

Next best I'd guess one of those magnetic control ring lights. But can't say for sure since I don't own one. And there's probably some difference between models, in how little sound the control ring makes when moved.

Then an electronics switch, perhaps more if rubber-covered like on ZebraLights. But to be fair, electronic switches on my Olights (S10-L2 and S15) and ZL all aren't 100% silent, but they are all also very quiet. :)

One last tip: a forward clicky would be considered a noisy switch, but it may provide "momentary on" action that's near-silent. Dunno if/how useful that would be in your case though.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
Probably a reed switch with a magnet sliding over it, would be virtually silent. But I don't think I've seen that kind of switch on lights discussed on this forum. I saw it once on a cheap 'shake' light (magnet & coil), which wouldn't be of any use here. So you might have to do a home build to get a decent light with that type of switch.

Next best is probably a twisty, especially with properly greased threads. Should be damn near, if not completely silent. I'd guess alu threads are perhaps more silent than stainless steel or titanium, as the base metal is softer. Not sure about fine vs. course threads, though. :thinking:

Next best I'd guess one of those magnetic control ring lights. But can't say for sure since I don't own one. And there's probably some difference between models, in how little sound the control ring makes when moved.

Then an electronics switch, perhaps more if rubber-covered like on ZebraLights. But to be fair, electronic switches on my Olights (S10-L2 and S15) and ZL all aren't 100% silent, but they are all also very quiet. :)

One last tip: a forward clicky would be considered a noisy switch, but it may provide "momentary on" action that's near-silent. Dunno if/how useful that would be in your case though.

Of course! That's brilliant! Just use a magnetic control ring light! Something like the SWM V11R or V20R, turn it on and leave it on it's lowest setting. Batteries will last for DAYS and it's so dim you wouldn't notice it much, especially when it's stowed in your pocket. When you need light, pull it out and ULTRA-SILENTLY turn the ring until you have the necessary output level. Reverse ring back to low when done.

Sometimes the best solutions are so simple and so obvious! :)

EDIT: I just realized you could also do the same sort of thing if you have a reverse-clicky light with moonlight mode, like the L3 Illumination L10C (4-mode). The reverse clicky is COMPLETELY SILENT once it's been "clicked" to the "On" position, you can cycle through the modes with gentle, quiet switch "bumps". The disadvantage to this, as compared to the magnetic ring method, is that you'd have to cycle through the modes to get back to the "moonlight" mode when you've finished using the light - and you might not want the temporary brightness of the "high" mode when cycling through.

Last edited:

endorphin71

Newly Enlightened
Those are clever solutions... using the UI on a particular torch to best effect. I have never used a "reverse click" light or anything similar so I have no real tactile idea of their use. But I think I understand the explanation.

In the meantime, the Thrunite Neutron 2A V2, as recommended above, meets all my needs nicely. And is available at the UK Amazon.

Hopefully this thread will help others with similar needs. It's good to have a wide range of silent flash solutions, since not everyone will have the same criteria.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never used a "reverse click" light or anything similar so I have no real tactile idea of their use.
Probably you have, but not consciously thought about how the switch operates in detail. I think it's one of the most common switch types around. Feels like this:

You press the switch (often takes a fair amount of mechanical force), and around the point where it reaches its 'deepest' position, you hear it click. But... switch is still off at that point. As you release it (usually accompanied by another click) the switch makes contact & light (or whatever) goes on.

For changing modes (when light is already on!), you quickly press the switch down a little bit. Not enough to reach its deepest position and click off, but enough to shortly interrupt. This short interruption of power is used by many flashlight drivers to signal a mode change. Also this action doesn't involve the switch clicking, so is quick & silent.

OTOH, from "off" position a "forward clicky" will make contact as soon as you press down. Do it just a little bit, release, and the switch will make contact temporarily for a (silent!) momentary-on effect, but return to off state as you release. Press down to its deepest position, switch will make contact & click, possibly with a 2nd click when releasing. This type of switch will be found on many "tactical" lights, as it allows quick + silent "have a 1-second look" kind of action. As opposed to a reverse clicky, that would make at least 1 click before any light is produced, and then (once it clicked) probably a 2nd click that you can't avoid unless you hold the button forever. :crazy:

Most mortals don't give a f*** about differences like this. But for example for law enforcement personnel, I can imagine this would matter. Sometimes a lot.