Zombie Apocalypse?

markr6

Flashaholic
This may be a stupid and obvious question, but with so many references to it in all kinds of forums...I have to ask.

Does anyone really think this zombie apocalypse thing could really happen? I'm sure aliens landing would be more likely.

I'm guessing it's just a reason to have fun collecting gear and prepping for something realistic like a natural disaster, right?

nbp

Flashaholic
Zombies like in the movies? No way.

But people do some pretty horrible things to each other at times. May as well be zombies.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
This may be a stupid and obvious question, but with so many references to it in all kinds of forums...I have to ask.

Does anyone really think this zombie apocalypse thing could really happen? I'm sure aliens landing would be more likely.

I'm guessing it's just a reason to have fun collecting gear and prepping for something realistic like a natural disaster, right?

Preparation for contingencies is smart and prudent.

You should prioritize your preparedness proportionally to both the likelihood and severity of occurrence.

IE: A zombi scenario is severe, but, zero on likelihood, perhaps on the level of an invasion by invisible carnivorous unicorns, etc.

A local power outage, or flood, earthquake, tornado or fire, riot or looting, etc, would be potentially severe, and, typically, at least conceivable to occur.

Plans to survive the things that might occur is therefore, at least historically, more likely to be worth the trouble.

:D

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
A zombie apocalypse is more like a 'placeholder' for any type of disaster that involves large scale breakdowns of infrastructure, worldwide pandemic, breakdown of social structures etc. One that happens to inspire movie makers and popular culture, as well. That's all, really.

Bottom line: if you're prepared for a zombie apocalypse, then (for the most part) you'll be prepared for many of those other possible disasters.

FWIW: the possibility of a zombie apocalypse isn't zero, it is just one of many disasters that could happen (in theory). Of course the physics as shown in popular TV shows / movies like The Walking Dead, doesn't add up. But who cares - it's TV after all. :laughing:

Personally I think the most silly thing about a zombie apocalypse, is that I don't own a double-barreled shotgun to put to use in the rare chance that one were to occur. :( Or a razor sharp Japanese sword, for that matter.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A zombie apocalypse is more like a 'placeholder' for any type of disaster that involves large scale breakdowns of infrastructure, worldwide pandemic, breakdown of social structures etc. One that happens to inspire movie makers and popular culture, as well. That's all, really.

Bottom line: if you're prepared for a zombie apocalypse, then (for the most part) you'll be prepared for many of those other possible disasters.

FWIW: the possibility of a zombie apocalypse isn't zero, it is just one of many disasters that could happen (in theory). Of course the physics as shown in popular TV shows / movies like The Walking Dead, doesn't add up. But who cares - it's TV after all. :laughing:

LOL

Its ZERO.

There's no such thing, and, one reason there's no such thing is that to MOVE, you need ATP. If you can't MAKE IT, the muscles stop working...as its used up by contractions.

When dead, nothing works, and, you'd rot. The eyes won't work, there'd be no sense of smell, no hearing, etc. No breathing means no O2, and, again, no motion. And on and on.

If you want to count people who are given drugs to make them open to suggestion, etc (Witch Dr type "Zombies"), OK, but there'd be no apocalypse in that scenario.

:D

Last edited:

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
Zombie apocalypse in the same sense as the movies we see? No, not really. However, there are diseases out there that affect the host in a way as to control their functions. There's a fungus that affects some bugs like that. I'll see if I can remember the name of it. Of course, this does not affect humans in the same way.

But, can we have another plague of some disease that's going to wipe out a good chunk of population? Sure - that's not a far fetch at all. This happens periodically in nature, and not just with humans. It's a way to 'reset'.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Bath Salt Apocalypse?

:popcorn:

e1182f46dedff353de3b2374fee82631.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
A game i played called last of us,similar i guess to walking dead ,awesome game and tbh possible to an extent imo anyway. Some outbreak of a disease,however zombies may be a tad far fetched,but who knows...............

Real world,highly unlikely ,but even a 1 in a 1,000,000,000 is still a chance:thinking:

If i lived in the states it would be my justification for lots of guns to the misses anyway :laughing:.............. oh and flashlights:D scrap the last as too late:sssh:

markr6

Flashaholic
A game i played called last of us,similar i guess to walking dead ,awesome game and tbh possible to an extent imo anyway. Some outbreak of a disease,however zombies may be a tad far fetched,but who knows...............

Real world,highly unlikely ,but even a 1 in a 1,000,000,000 is still a chance:thinking:

If i lived in the states it would be my justification for lots of guns to the misses anyway :laughing:.............. oh and flashlights:D scrap the last as too late:sssh:

ven, looking at your flashlight collection...your gun collection would be pretty scary!

G. Scott H.

Enlightened

I agree.

As far as a the dead getting up and walking around, no. On the other hand, who knows what marvelous chemical/biological agents various governments are playing around with these days (or what remains undetected and currently mutating in nature, as ahtoxa suggested)? I see something along the lines of a "28 Days Later" scenario as a possibility, ableit a tiny one. It's not something that keeps me up at night :D, but I don't believe it's completely out of the question. :shrug:

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, there are diseases out there that affect the host in a way as to control their functions. There's a fungus that affects some bugs like that. I'll see if I can remember the name of it. Of course, this does not affect humans in the same way.
Thinking it was an interesting story in National Geographic about bugs actually being controlled by parasites.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Grave diggin, brain suckin zombies? You better believe it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zombies like in the movies? No way.

But people do some pretty horrible things to each other at times. May as well be zombies.

Seems like many years ago there were stories coming from the Carribean (?) islands, Haiti(?), that there were those who practice Voodoo, gave victims some toxin that caused them to enter a state of stupor, and could be controlled, or forced to do horrible things.

Whether it is Star Wars storm troopers, or BattleStar Galactica cylons, people are seemingly OK with killing faceless non-individuals; acting out their own exciting violent tendencies. Now it is Zombies, which by their very nature are abhorrent as well as murderous. So it is funny/OK to prepare, and talk about killing someone/something.

But I thought the movies like "I am Legend" were downright fun scary though, and I understand the zombie TV series is good.

And those bad Zombies SHOULD be killed, right?