Real world experience today.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Now I've read all the posts by the experts, and I honestly mean that, about aftermarket lights in stop lights etc. and understood what you were trying to teach us.

Well today I saw for myself that it's all true! I was behind a pickup and noticed that when he hit his brakes that his lights were very dim. When I pulled along side I could see that the bulbs were LEDs with the emitters around the sides of the bulb.
In daylight they could be seen from the sides, but from the rear they were darned near invisible.

Keep telling the truth about these POS lights guys.

sadtimes

Enlightened
I got a guy the day after he put them in his truck, he showed me the receipt from autozone... I gave him a quick run down and explained that I could not tell the difference in running lights and brake lights from directly behind his truck, then I gave him a ticket.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a guy the day after he put them in his truck, he showed me the receipt from autozone... I gave him a quick run down and explained that I could not tell the difference in running lights and brake lights from directly behind his truck, then I gave him a ticket.

Autozone has been awfully apathetic about selling merchandise that will get their customers tickets.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
Autozone has been awfully apathetic about selling merchandise that will get their customers tickets.

I wonder, would Autozone refund the customer's money and reimburse them for the ticket? If enough customers did this, Autozone might be more careful about what they sell. Of course, this presumes enough people are being ticketed to begin with.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder, would Autozone refund the customer's money and reimburse them for the ticket? If enough customers did this, Autozone might be more careful about what they sell. Of course, this presumes enough people are being ticketed to begin with.

No, AutoZone will point to the "For Off-Road Use Only" on the product packaging (if it's present), or otherwise tell you "check local laws before purchasing". If the manufacturer claims the products are legal, they'll tell you to take it up with them.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

While "ignorance of the law is no excuse" or whatever, if the packaging implies they are legal, then the driver made his purchase and installation in good faith. I hope the ticket was dismissible on proof of correcting the equipment violation, because it doesn't send the message to the right people (manufacturers and sellers) when the hapless motorist is the one directly paying the price.

Now, if the package says "for off-road use only" (which in itself has no legal meaning), then it can be demonstrated that the driver knew they were buying an unsafe and illegal product. Throw at least a few pages of the book at 'im.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
While "ignorance of the law is no excuse" or whatever, if the packaging implies they are legal, then the driver made his purchase and installation in good faith. I hope the ticket was dismissible on proof of correcting the equipment violation, because it doesn't send the message to the right people (manufacturers and sellers) when the hapless motorist is the one directly paying the price.

Now, if the package says "for off-road use only" (which in itself has no legal meaning), then it can be demonstrated that the driver knew they were buying an unsafe and illegal product. Throw at least a few pages of the book at 'im.

They say "Check local laws," as if the FEDERAL laws didn't say Thou Shalt Not Make Fake Bulbs That Can Be Installed In Real Sockets.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
They say "Check local laws," as if the FEDERAL laws didn't say Thou Shalt Not Make Fake Bulbs That Can Be Installed In Real Sockets.

Yeah, but the ignorant schmuck at AutoZone shouldn't need to know that. The bulb should never have appeared on a store shelf in the first place. Sure, warn the driver, make them return to stock, but go after the manufacturers and sellers.

sadtimes

Enlightened
Where the hell is NHTSA at? I shouldnt have to educate drivers on buying illegal and unsafe bulbs, NHTSA should stop them from being sold, like thet are supposed to do.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where the hell is NHTSA at? I shouldnt have to educate drivers on buying illegal and unsafe bulbs, NHTSA should stop them from being sold, like thet are supposed to do.

Have YOU filed a complaint with the NHTSA? Takes about as long to write a ticket, maybe a little more.

Yes, get the driver to fix their broken equipment, but if the ticket isn't dismissible on proof of the fixing, that's not very fair to the driver. The police oughta raid the stores selling the illegal stuff so it doesn't become a problem in the first place.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

Totally agree with you...but they won't. :-(

sadtimes

Enlightened
Have YOU filed a complaint with the NHTSA? Takes about as long to write a ticket, maybe a little more.

Yes, get the driver to fix their broken equipment, but if the ticket isn't dismissible on proof of the fixing, that's not very fair to the driver. The police oughta raid the stores selling the illegal stuff so it doesn't become a problem in the first place.

Sent you a PM.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sent you a PM.

I responded.

Public note to CPF readers:
I know that drmalenko and other officers who write tickets for such equipment are fighting a tough battle. Many departments don't see the real harm in such vehicle modifications, or have more important things (real or imagined) to deal with. Illegal vehicle lighting is a genuine public safety issue and someone needs to be out there to fight it!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Auto Zone wants me to think that this bulb:

Link:click

Description: Corn-cob white LED lamp at Auto Zone

is OK in my 1994 Geo Metro turn signal and brake lamp. When pressed, the helpful chat agent said:

[Rick]I am sending you the link with the information to the light bulbs for this car:
[Rick] This page shows them
[Rick] All of these will fit your Metro.
[Rick]Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

[Visitor] How can I tell if they will be safe? I had a buddy get pulled over for something with one of his bulbs being wrong
[Rick] ok
[Rick] I see
[Rick] Unfortunately I do not have that information for you
[Rick] The best thing to do is to contact your local DMV so that they can provide you with that information

Now, I'm having trouble deciding how to report this particular bulb. At the NHTSA web page, I got this far but am now stuck:

qFXxqhO.png

What kind of bulb is a fake turn signal / license marker / festoon / brake lamp / reverse lamp?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few of the items in the dropdown are crap aftermarket lamp assemblies. You might not find the "bulb" in there. Maybe take a chance and choose "9007" or "Other" if there's an "Other".

A friend of mine reported the "PulseProtects" and a dealer that was installing them. He used a VIN generator just to get a VIN for the report field. I wonder if anything ever came up from that.

Last edited:

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I live in a rural area and I've spoken to my local Sheriff's deputies about illegal lighting. They do write tickets for blinding headlamps and blacked out head and tail lamp lenses. I don't know if they are fix it tickets though. I'll ask next time I have a chance.