Selecting an LED

Dayton

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to select the optimal LED for medium power flashlight project.

The constraints on the project are:
-Max lumen output greater than 200 lumens
-Smallest footprint and height possible for the LED
-High lumens/watt efficiency
-Lowest cost per LED possible
-Good LED reliability

To aid in finding an LED with these considerations in mind, I searched Digikey's component database and compiled an excel spreadsheet of the 25 most suitable LEDs for this project. The results from my spreadsheet indicate that the 3 most suitable LEDs are as follows:

Toshiba TL1L3-WH1,L
CRI: 80
Max Lumens: 305
Lumens/Watt 3000k @ 25 °C: 119
Bulk cost: $0.54
Lumens/Watt/Dollar: 220

Seoul Semiconductor Z5-M1
Max Lumens: 322
Lumens/Watt 3000k @ 25 °C: 131
Bulk cost: $0.68
Lumens/Watt/Dollar: 193

Samsung LH351A
Max Lumens: 417
Lumens/Watt 3000k @ 25 °C: 115
Bulk cost: $0.60
Lumens/Watt/Dollar: 192

Link to spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UE6h-yh52W56xupAS_wiS-_FM/edit#gid=1812279430

Questions I have:
-Does anybody have any suggestions for improvement in my selection methodology.
-Has anyone had any experience using these LEDs before. If so, what is your opinion of these LEDs. Are they generally reliable and easy to mount.
-Any suggestions for other efficient LEDs.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Edit: I am designing this light with the intention of mass production at some point in the future...the main reason for my cost conscious approach is that I want to be able to offer this light to people at reasonable price. The intended niche for this light is in the mid-performance sector.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
xml2, or xpg2. i almost never seen anyone use those leds you listed. i actually never seen anyone use it, but i'll say almost just in case.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for the lowest unit cost, then the $0.68 LEDs may be OK. But my hobby time is valuable enough that a super premium LED that makes me 1% happier is worth $10 ea. I second the XPG-2, and submit the XP-E2 also. With good heatsinking and good electronics with intelligently chosen power levels, you'll get quite a light.

Dayton

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I do really like all of those LEDs. I should have mentioned in the original post that I am designing this light with the intention of mass production at some point in the future...the main reason for my cost conscious approach is that I want to be able to offer this light to people at reasonable price. The intended niche for this light is in the mid-performance sector.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
those prices are for bulk purchase anyway, 1000pc. if you buy 1 it will be around same price they charge for xpe\g leds, not to mention shipping is not cheap at digikey. it will negate all savings, lol.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree XP-E2 is a relatively low-output power LED. For >200 lumens output it would have to work in a range where its efficiency drops considerably (as compared to XP-G2 or XM-L2, which have much more headroom). XP-G(2) has a bit smaller die, and is more suitable for relatively small optics where you still want to have a somewhat throwy beam. XM-L(2) is a better choice if you just want raw lumens and/or a floodier beam. Btw XM-L2 is (more or less, matter of opinion) superceded by the Cree XP-L.

Does anybody have any suggestions for improvement in my selection methodology.
What kind of production numbers are we talking here? $0.05 / piece difference means nothing if you're ordering 10 pcs. and shipping is $8. :)

Has anyone had any experience using these LEDs before. If so, what is your opinion of these LEDs.
Cree LEDs are popular and liked by many for their combination of efficiency/output & decent color tints. Which is the more important thing to consider anyway: high output isn't very useful if the color tint is so ugly that nobody cares to use the light. :sick2: There's already moooorrre than enough cheap & ugly lights out there.

Are they generally reliable and easy to mount.
Depends on the board you use... most likely yes. Reliable depends on power levels & how well cooled the mounted LED is. Note that cooling affects efficiency & max output levels, too.

If you haven't already got some in your spreadsheet, check out Nichia. They have some good color tint / high efficiency LEDs too (high-CRI Nichia 219(B) comes to mind, but possibly there's better ones out there by now).

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
You don't list the current / lumens for those efficiency numbers.

What do you consider mass production? 1000? 10000? 100000? .. What percentage of overall cost is the LED?

Why oh why yours and not someone else's flashlight?

WeLight

Enlightened
I would consider this another way if your building a product with volume in mind. Leds constitute approx 25-30% of a products build value, going cheap on the led will mean efficacy loss is made up in the heatsink optics etc. A better approach would be to consider the impact a led has on the total build parameters and associated costs and then make a decision

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
how exactly do you make up with optics for poor led efficancy?

breinrules

Newly Enlightened
May i know what battery size you will be using? Xpe2 is very small and reliable . You can buy 1 roll for about 50cents per led.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to select the optimal LED for medium power flashlight project.
What kind of flashlight out of curiosity?

The constraints on the project are:
-Max lumen output greater than 200 lumens
-Smallest footprint and height possible for the LED
-High lumens/watt efficiency
-Lowest cost per LED possible
-Good LED reliability
These to me seem like very odd and somewhat abstract requirements. Are you able to clarify the justification on these points? Also your list is somewhat counter intuitive, i.e.

You are unlikely to find "High lumens/watt efficiency" at "Lowest cost per LED possible".

And some of these 'requirements' would need quantifying, e.g.

"Good LED reliability"

What do you mean by this? As in reliable to what, compared to what. How are you measuring this?

To aid in finding an LED with these considerations in mind, I searched Digikey's component database and compiled an excel spreadsheet of the 25 most suitable LEDs for this project. The results from my spreadsheet indicate that the 3 most suitable LEDs are as follows:

Toshiba TL1L3-WH1,L
Max Lumens: 305
Lumens/Watt 3000k @ 25 °C: 119
Bulk cost: $0.54
Lumens/Watt/Dollar: 220

Seoul Semiconductor Z5-M1
Max Lumens: 322
Lumens/Watt 3000k @ 25 °C: 131
Bulk cost: $0.68
Lumens/Watt/Dollar: 193

Samsung LH351A
Max Lumens: 417
Lumens/Watt 3000k @ 25 °C: 115
Bulk cost: $0.60
Lumens/Watt/Dollar: 192

Link to spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UE6h-yh52W56xupAS_wiS-_FM/edit#gid=1812279430
Considering there is already a very well established preseident in the flashlight world on what LED's work well, one would have to ask why are you seemingly trying to reinvent the wheel?

Also, you've made no mention to what you want the flashlight to achieve. Beam type, actual intended usage, power supply, driver type are all likely to affect LED selection.

Questions I have:
-LEDs. Are they generally reliable and easy to mount.
Mount to what? And via what kind of process?

Edit: I am designing this light with the intention of mass production at some point in the future...

Can you elaborate what you mean by this?

the main reason for my cost conscious approach is that I want to be able to offer this light to people at reasonable price.

What do you mean by "reasonable price"?

The intended niche for this light is in the mid-performance sector.
I have no idea what you mean by "mid-performance sector", maybe you expand and clarify?

Dayton

Newly Enlightened
What kind of production numbers are we talking here? $0.05 / piece difference means nothing if you're ordering 10 pcs. and shipping is $8. :)

I would like to produce at least 1000 of these flashlights. I am planning on initially selling on kickstarter...I can't say how successfully or successful or unsuccessful this product will be. You do make a very good point about shipping and handling and other labor being an expensive portion of the overall cost of the LEDs if production is low. I am hoping that the demand will be high enough that these factors will be minimal.

Cree LEDs are popular and liked by many for their combination of efficiency/output & decent color tints. Which is the more important thing to consider anyway: high output isn't very useful if the color tint is so ugly that nobody cares to use the light. :sick2: There's already moooorrre than enough cheap & ugly lights out there.

Definitely agree - I don't want the light output to be ugly. I compared all of the LEDs in the spreadsheet at a color temp of 3000k. All of the LEDs that I selected have a CRI of approximately (min or typical) 80. These two metrics seem like the most important standards to look at when evaluating an LED for output aesthetics. Are there other metrics that I should be looking at for light quality?

Depends on the board you use... most likely yes. Reliable depends on power levels & how well cooled the mounted LED is. Note that cooling affects efficiency & max output levels, too.

Probably going to use a metal core PCB board as a mount. Most likely this board will be a "star" form factor. Cooling shouldn't be too much of an issue as the body of the flashlight will be machined from aluminum.

If you haven't already got some in your spreadsheet, check out Nichia. They have some good color tint / high efficiency LEDs too (high-CRI Nichia 219(B) comes to mind, but possibly there's better ones out there by now).

Nichia 219B's look very efficient - approx. 125 lumens/watt @ 80 CRI @ 3500-4000K. I want to find bulk prices for these. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

You don't list the current / lumens for those efficiency numbers.

Are you saying that I should look at current/lumens because LEDs with a higher current for a given level of luminescence will generate higher heat and decrease overall efficiency of the light? If so, then I will definitely add that to my spreadsheet as a consideration.

What do you consider mass production? 1000? 10000? 100000? .. What percentage of overall cost is the LED?

Not yet sure what percentage the cost of the LED will be. Still in the initial stages of design and do not yet have figures for what the total cost of the light will be. The goal is to sell the light for less than $35.
Why oh why yours and not someone else's flashlight?

The optics system is what makes this flashlight unique. I can't divulge a lot of information right now about what exactly the optics entail. The overall body of the flashlight will be about the same width as a credit card and slightly longer than a credit card. the thickness is approx. 1/4".

I would consider this another way if your building a product with volume in mind. Leds constitute approx 25-30% of a products build value, going cheap on the led will mean efficacy loss is made up in the heatsink optics etc. A better approach would be to consider the impact a led has on the total build parameters and associated costs and then make a decision

Definitely like the way you look at the problem. I didn't put much thought into the heat generating aspect of LEDs. I do know that more effiecient LEDs (high lumen/watt) should generate less heat for a given light output and therefore should decrease the cost of heatsinking as well.

May i know what battery size you will be using? Xpe2 is very small and reliable . You can buy 1 roll for about 50cents per led.

Battery will be lithium ion or lithium polymer with 6-8 Watt hours.

What kind of flashlight out of curiosity?

The overall body of the flashlight will be about the same width as a credit card and slightly longer than a credit card. the thickness is approx. 1/4". Flashlight will be general purpose – it will be useful as both a handheld torch and a work light – i.e. something that you can set on the ground and aim at the area that you are trying to illuminate.

These to me seem like very odd and somewhat abstract requirements. Are you able to clarify the justification on these points? Also your list is somewhat counter intuitive, i.e.

You are unlikely to find "High lumens/watt efficiency" at "Lowest cost per LED possible".

And some of these 'requirements' would need quantifying, e.g.

"Good LED reliability"

What do you mean by this? As in reliable to what, compared to what. How are you measuring this?

I guess what I mean is that I am looking of an LED that is a good compromise between cost and efficiency. Bulk price should be somewhere in the $1 or less range. By good reliability I mean that this led should hold up for around 10,000 hours (I can't imagine too many people even putting 1000 hours on a typical flashlight) Cree claims that many of their LEDs hold up for 50,000 hours, so a 10,000 hour LED doesn't seem unreasonable.

Considering there is already a very well established preseident in the flashlight world on what LED's work well, one would have to ask why are you seemingly trying to reinvent the wheel?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but since the LED market is pretty dynamic I think that it is important to stay up to date on the latest LEDs and compare the quality of the newer LEDs to the established benchmark LEDs.

Also, you've made no mention to what you want the flashlight to achieve. Beam type, actual intended usage, power supply, driver type are all likely to affect LED selection.

Most of the LEDs that I have seen are in the 2.7-3.3 v range. Are there advantages to higher voltage LEDs?

As far as drivers go I haven't done a ton of research yet. I have looked at some of the product that linear offers and definitely like this: http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3454 . Perhaps I should look at drivers first and then use the offered products to further refine which LEDs would be suitable.

The optics of this flashlight will allow it to perform as both a "thrower" and a floodlight.

Mount to what? And via what kind of process?

Mount to mcpcb via reflow soldering.

What do you mean by "reasonable price"?

Around $35 or less.

I have no idea what you mean by "mid-performance sector", maybe you expand and clarify?

By mid-performance I mean that I want this light to be perceived as good quality by flashlight enthusiasts, but nothing near as amazing as a light such as the spy007. I want this light to appeal to both enthusiasts and average people - Harbor Freight < my flashlight < Spy007. High power mode for this light would be around 250 lumens, mid power mode around 100 lm, and low power mode around 20 lm. I think that it would be good to aim for at least 2 hours of battery life on high power mode.

Thanks for asking all of these questions. You guys really helped me to better define what I want to build and the steps I should take next in the design and research process. Feel free to offer any other advice or ask any other questions that you have.

Last edited:

WeLight

Enlightened
how exactly do you make up with optics for poor led efficancy?
Select Optics with better efficiency over those that dont, in other words spend more time on things other than the led to put a system together