headlamp batteries

carnage

Enlightened
What is the difference between having the batteries in the headlamp itself verses having a battery pack on a strap in back of the head? Is it mobility, comfort, or something else?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
A back-mounted battery pack can more easily balance a big lamp and battery unit. It can be a bit harder to put on than an 'all-in-one' unit, and won't let you comfortably lay on your back while laying down under a car/house/duct/cave.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Room for larger capacity batteries as well. Might or might not be an advantage over an all in one unit.

D6859

Enlightened
Headlamp with external battery pack needs a cord to the main unit. It may break and must be sealed well to be waterproof. I've preferred all-in-the-unit since the battery pack in my first headlamp broke.

carnage

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys! I was looking at the Fenix HP12 and HL55, on one battery is up front while the other is out back.

D6859

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys! I was looking at the Fenix HP12 and HL55, on one battery is up front while the other is out back.

They are 145 g and 115 g in weight respectively (without battery). Add 45 g for battery and HP12 seems quite heavy, but as mentioned earlier, it balances the weight better than HL55. Unfortunately I didn't find the weight for my Wizard with the headband to compare it to HL55. It's around 107 g + headband with the battery so I think it's lighter than HL55. Anyway, the over-head strap helps to balance the weight too in both models so you don't feel so much pressure on the forehead.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Depends on the power source. Seems that Most lights these days have the battery compartment built in. The last headlamp with a back battery pack was my Petzl Myo. The LED wasn't anything heavy, but I think that light had 3 AA batteries at the back. It isn't friendly to have 3 AAs sitting on your forehead, along with the other headlamp parts. Now you can find single AA, and single CR123 headlamps that are very compact and very bright. I personally went with a Armytek A1 pro. Single AA light but I run a 14500 in it. I am super happy with this combo. The light is no problem on the forehead. A lot of people also like the 2 CR123 or single 18650 lights. I would easily recommend Armytek Tiara A1 or C1. No prob. Zebralight dominates the headlamp field as well. With these brands floating around it seems that the old headlamp with 3 or 4 AAs sitting at the back of the head are just about done.

Then again, the headlamps that have the battery pack with a cord are more geared for colder treks. You can store that battery pack in your coat and trudge around freezing weather with zero concerns of having your batteries leached of their power.

Last edited:

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
My opinoin:Having a battery in the headlamp means the light can not be too heavy,usually powered by one 18650 battery or a few AA batteries,so it may affect the runtime and brightness level,but it is lightweight.If a headlamp have a battery pack,it can use more batteries,with more output and runtime,but usually it is a bit heavy.

D6859

Enlightened
They are 145 g and 115 g in weight respectively (without battery). Add 45 g for battery and HP12 seems quite heavy, but as mentioned earlier, it balances the weight better than HL55. Unfortunately I didn't find the weight for my Wizard with the headband to compare it to HL55. It's around 107 g + headband with the battery so I think it's lighter than HL55. Anyway, the over-head strap helps to balance the weight too in both models so you don't feel so much pressure on the forehead.

I had to go to post office today. I remembered I had my Wizard with me when I noticed the scale. It weights 143 g with the battery (Keeppower 3200) and the headband.

desmobob

Enlightened
I used to figure that an all-in-one headlamp was lightweight and comfortable, but had limited brightness and run time. A headlamp with a separate battery pack offered a brighter light and/or long run times, at the expense of weight (and maybe, some comfort).

As battery and LED technology advances, the lines are getting blurred!

Take it easy,
Bob

D6859

Enlightened
As battery and LED technology advances, the lines are getting blurred!

Agreed. A year ago I was sure no 1AA flashlight could be efficient enough for my needs. Lately, I've been using mainly my Armytek Tiara A1 (though equipped with 14500) in my tasks while Wizard has been waiting for my need for longer runtime / more lumens.

desmobob

Enlightened
Agreed. A year ago I was sure no 1AA flashlight could be efficient enough for my needs. Lately, I've been using mainly my Armytek Tiara A1 (though equipped with 14500) in my tasks while Wizard has been waiting for my need for longer runtime / more lumens.

My go-to headlamp has changed from a separate battery pack type (Black Diamond Icon or Fenix HP25) to a Zebralight H600w MkII all-in-one. I plan on purchasing a Zebralight H32w next week... smaller and lighter yet! The Armytek lights are on my list of things to try in the future.

Take it easy,
Bob

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
A back-mounted battery pack can more easily balance a big lamp and battery unit. It can be a bit harder to put on than an 'all-in-one' unit, and won't let you comfortably lay on your back while laying down under a car/house/duct/cave.
Personally, though it's a minor point, I've usually found lamps with back-mounted power significantly easier to put on one-handed.

That's mainly been comparing Duos, Zooms (or similar) a 3xAA Cybalite and a 3xAAA Alplkit to an original AA Zebralight, Petzl Micro, Tikka, and Tikka XP.

desmobob

Enlightened

My biggest pet peeve of the seperate battery pack models is the inability to lay comfortably in my hammock or tent and read when camping. The rear-mounted battery packs don't work well for that.

Personally, though it's a minor point, I've usually found lamps with back-mounted power significantly easier to put on one-handed.

I've noticed that, too. You can keep the straps adjusted looser because of the natural balance, and it's more like putting on a hat than stretching something around your head.

Take it easy,
Bob

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I quite like a bulky light as my main one for general use and camping, since it's easier to find, better runtime, space for twin beams, etc, and my camping tends to be one place for a long time, I have to say I was somewhat seduced by the 3xAAA Alpkit light which I recently got thrown in with a job lot of ancient Zooms I bought on ebay.

It was broken and old, but fixing the broken cable and upgrading the LED was very straightforward, and for brief simple uses and as a secondary light, the blend of balance and lightness was impressive.
I have a rather big head and don't generally find lamp weight an issue, but this light felt like it wasn't even there, rather more so than my Zebralight H50.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
My current headlamp is an old style petzl tactikka, with the LED replaced with a seoul P4 (recommended on here)! It's a good light, lightweight and comfortable, but I could do with a little more firepower at times. I've been looking at various options with rear mounted packs, and think that's the way to go for me. I'll just keep the petzl for close work!