A new Aluminium-Ion cell prototype

Phlogiston

Enlightened
The BBC has an article about a new Aluminium-Ion cell prototype:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32204707

The original publication is in Nature, if anyone here has access to that:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14340.html

The cell uses aluminium and graphite for the electrodes, with a room temperature liquid salt as an electrolyte. It's mechanically flexible, operates at about 2V and can withstand thousands of cycles. In comparison to Li-Ion cells, the Al-Ion cell is also much less likely to catch fire when abused.

As ever, commercial manufacturability remains to be seen :)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminum has a higher energy density than lithium per volume (at 3x as much), but less energy by weight. It's an interesting technology, but I don't see it as a big leap forward in energy storage.

KelDG

Newly Enlightened
Aluminum has a higher energy density than lithium per volume (at 3x as much), but less energy by weight. It's an interesting technology, but I don't see it as a big leap forward in energy storage.

I would take safer, fast charging and more recharge cycles in a heartbeat. I wonder what the voltage looks like during a discharge, would be cool if it did not drop much throughout like NiMh.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take safer, fast charging and more recharge cycles in a heartbeat. I wonder what the voltage looks like during a discharge, would be cool if it did not drop much throughout like NiMh.

Yes, any improvement in battery tech is welcome, even if just incremental.

But I'm still waiting for the huge breakthrough we've been promised for decades.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I would take safer, fast charging and more recharge cycles in a heartbeat.

Yes, me too. Even if Al-Ion cells were otherwise similar to Li-Ion cells, I'd still call that a big step forward.

I wonder what the voltage looks like during a discharge, would be cool if it did not drop much throughout like NiMh.

The Nature abstract says that the "cell exhibits well-defined discharge voltage plateaus near 2 volts", so yes, rather like a NiMH cell in that regard.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I disagree. At least with small scale applications like flashlights or phones, volume density is FAR more important than weight density. A single 18650 (for instance) doesn't weigh much, whether it uses lithium or aluminum. If you can increase the stored energy in an 18650 by a factor of three, who cares if it weighs somewhat more? I mean, it's not like it is going to weigh five pounds.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree. At least with small scale applications like flashlights or phones, volume density is FAR more important than weight density. A single 18650 (for instance) doesn't weigh much, whether it uses lithium or aluminum. If you can increase the stored energy in an 18650 by a factor of three, who cares if it weighs somewhat more? I mean, it's not like it is going to weigh five pounds.

That may be true for flashlights, but I'm certain they're not going to develop the next battery technology for flashlight applications. They'll be developing it for electric cars, where weight is very important.

If it turns out it makes a better electric car battery than lithium, yes, we could see a nice improvement for flashlights (much heavier, but much more energy). But if it's too heavy for cars, then we probably won't see it developed at all.

MarioJP

Enlightened
I saw this yesterday. Pretty interesting. This could potentially replace current battery technology like Li-ion and Ni-MH as well.

light-modder

Enlightened
Maybe it won't replace li-ion since those cells were initially intended for battery packs in cars, laptops and such but what about an alkaline alternative I know we have NiCD and NiMH already but surely there is a use for the higher voltage and the mechanical flexibility. If nothing else I want to play with some for the last reason... Oh let's see if it will bend in half :)

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
The one-minute recharge time ! is a big leap over li-ion batteries.
They are also much safer, the scientist says you can even drill through it and it wont explode.
God knows where these technology are advacing?? any ways good to see a safer battery with better power density.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hell, most of us carried the old 3, 4 and 5 D Maglites over the yrs, compared to those, the Al-ion still has to be lighter, and the 3x C.D.... flashlight photonatics won't complain, lol. Just hope they handle the current draw we demand! Chevy volt has nutten on how we abuse batteries!

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
If there are .0111 kwh's in a 3000 mAh battery at 3.7 volts, and the middle of the range for amount of elemental lithium to produce 1 kwh of electricity is 180 grams,
then there is about 2 grams of lithium in said battery. If the same volume of aluminum is used, there would be 8.67 grams of aluminum required, for an increase of 6.67 grams.
So your Fenix pd35 that weighs 85 g and battery that weighs 44g for a total of 129g, would balloon to 135.67 grams. Do you think you'd notice?
Please check my math, as this was done quickly.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
If there are .0111 kwh's in a 3000 mAh battery at 3.7 volts, and the middle of the range for amount of elemental lithium to produce 1 kwh of electricity is 180 grams,
then there is about 2 grams of lithium in said battery. If the same volume of aluminum is used, there would be 8.67 grams of aluminum required, for an increase of 6.67 grams.
So your Fenix pd35 that weighs 85 g and battery that weighs 44g for a total of 129g, would balloon to 135.67 grams. Do you think you'd notice?

OK, I'll give that a stab.

From the Li-Ion cell Wikipedia entry, lithium can theoretically produce 11.6kWh/kg. Your 3.7V 3000mAh cell contains 11.1Wh, which I'm going to approximate to 1g of lithium. Battery University agrees - their approximation of Ah x 0.3 gives 0.9g.

Of course, cells aren't perfectly material-efficient - far from it - so I'm going to adopt your 2g of lithium as a reasonable-sounding guess at what's in a real cell.

Now, I'm not going to use volumes or densities here, because the lithium in a Li-Ion cell isn't metallic, it's part of a chemical compound, whereas the aluminium in a charged Al-Ion cell is metallic. Instead, I'll use the mole, which is a standard chemical unit containing 6.022×1023​ atoms of an element.

Lithium has a standard atomic weight of 6.94, so 2g of lithium is 2g / 6.94 or 0.288 moles of lithium.

Aluminium has a standard atomic weight of 26.98, so 0.288 moles of aluminium would weigh 0.288 x 26.98 or 7.77g.

So far, so good - an Al-Ion cell containing the same "amount" of aluminium will weigh 5.77g more than the Li-Ion cell.

However, aluminium can contribute three electrons per atom to a chemical reaction, where lithium only contributes one. That means that the Al-Ion cell could have three times the charge capacity for the same "amount" of reactive metal, so this cell would be a 2V 9000mAh cell containing 18Wh of energy.

An energy increase by a factor of 18Wh / 11.1Wh or 1.62 implies 62% more runtime, assuming the same driver circuit efficiency. In relation to that, it's interesting to note that two safer Al-Ion cells in series would produce 4V - a drop-in replacement for any driver intended to use a single Li-Ion cell, although there'd be a penalty for the extra structural material in two cells. You'd basically have to decide whether it was better to take the efficiency hit in the driver circuit or the extra cell materials.

If the cell volume is similar, then the extra energy can offset the weight penalty. However, that's a big assumption and not one I know enough to test. Among other things, it assumes that you can get all those extra electrons out of the aluminium without having to add any other extra reactants (more weight and volume) to do it.

Having said that, scaling your 44g 11.1Wh Li-Ion cell up by a factor of 1.62 to 18Wh gives 1.62 x 44g or 71.3g, where the Al-Ion cell would weigh 44g + 5.77g or 49.8g, so the equivalent-energy weight penalty would be -21.5g. In other words, Li-Ion cells with the same energy would weigh 21.5g more than the Al-Ion equivalent. They'd also be a factor of 1.17 (cube root 1.62) larger in linear dimensions. That's quite a lot of leeway in weight and volume for getting extra reactants into the Al-Ion cell.

Conclusion: I'd call 5.77g negligible, and in fact, for a safer, faster-charging cell with more energy in the same volume, I'd delightedly accept those few grams of extra weight. Extra reactants would reduce the theoretical 62% extra energy quite significantly, but there's definitely potential in this new Al-Ion cell idea.

SemiMan

Banned

The weight of the aluminum/lithium does not matter, its the WH/KG of the overall battery that matters.

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'll give that a stab.

From the Li-Ion cell Wikipedia entry, lithium can theoretically produce 11.6kWh/kg. Your 3.7V 3000mAh cell contains 11.1Wh, which I'm going to approximate to 1g of lithium. Battery University agrees - their approximation of Ah x 0.3 gives 0.9g.

Of course, cells aren't perfectly material-efficient - far from it - so I'm going to adopt your 2g of lithium as a reasonable-sounding guess at what's in a real cell.

Now, I'm not going to use volumes or densities here, because the lithium in a Li-Ion cell isn't metallic, it's part of a chemical compound, whereas the aluminium in a charged Al-Ion cell is metallic. Instead, I'll use the mole, which is a standard chemical unit containing 6.022×1023​ atoms of an element.

Lithium has a standard atomic weight of 6.94, so 2g of lithium is 2g / 6.94 or 0.288 moles of lithium.

Aluminium has a standard atomic weight of 26.98, so 0.288 moles of aluminium would weigh 0.288 x 26.98 or 7.77g.

So far, so good - an Al-Ion cell containing the same "amount" of aluminium will weigh 5.77g more than the Li-Ion cell.

However, aluminium can contribute three electrons per atom to a chemical reaction, where lithium only contributes one. That means that the Al-Ion cell could have three times the charge capacity for the same "amount" of reactive metal, so this cell would be a 2V 9000mAh cell containing 18Wh of energy.

An energy increase by a factor of 18Wh / 11.1Wh or 1.62 implies 62% more runtime, assuming the same driver circuit efficiency. In relation to that, it's interesting to note that two safer Al-Ion cells in series would produce 4V - a drop-in replacement for any driver intended to use a single Li-Ion cell, although there'd be a penalty for the extra structural material in two cells. You'd basically have to decide whether it was better to take the efficiency hit in the driver circuit or the extra cell materials.

If the cell volume is similar, then the extra energy can offset the weight penalty. However, that's a big assumption and not one I know enough to test. Among other things, it assumes that you can get all those extra electrons out of the aluminium without having to add any other extra reactants (more weight and volume) to do it.

Having said that, scaling your 44g 11.1Wh Li-Ion cell up by a factor of 1.62 to 18Wh gives 1.62 x 44g or 71.3g, where the Al-Ion cell would weigh 44g + 5.77g or 49.8g, so the equivalent-energy weight penalty would be -21.5g. In other words, Li-Ion cells with the same energy would weigh 21.5g more than the Al-Ion equivalent. They'd also be a factor of 1.17 (cube root 1.62) larger in linear dimensions. That's quite a lot of leeway in weight and volume for getting extra reactants into the Al-Ion cell.

Conclusion: I'd call 5.77g negligible, and in fact, for a safer, faster-charging cell with more energy in the same volume, I'd delightedly accept those few grams of extra weight. Extra reactants would reduce the theoretical 62% extra energy quite significantly, but there's definitely potential in this new Al-Ion cell idea.

Well done!