Outlook Express problem

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My Outlook Express has 2 messages "stuck" in the outbox, and every time I open, it sends at least one of them again. I've right clk'd/deleted and highlight/deleted, but they wont delete. I do get an error msg each time after it sends- something about local area network. Can anybody help?

Add: I've rebooted twice and even opened one of the msgs and deleted the To:, the Subj:, all the text, and clk'd "save changes." It then makes another copy.

Larry

Greta

Flashaholic
Or click on "Edit" and then "Move to folder" and move it to the Deleted Items folder that way.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi Sasha,

Done both, no joy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . I get an error msg: "The selected message(s) could not be moved" Also I've reconfig'd so its not sending every time I open it. Kevin @ batterystation has me justifiably blocked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

Larry

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry, maybe you could remove the checkmark for 'Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing' under 'Tools', 'Accounts', your email account profile. That way, at least it won't be sending & receiving mail until you manage to get this problem sorted out... Wish I could help further...

Added: How about selecting the message(s) and hold 'shift' then press delete? Does it allow you to do that? Its supposed to delete permanently w/o going to the 'deleted' folder...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks Stanley,

Shift/delete doesn't do it either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . At least I've got it config'd so I'm not further torturing anybody. ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Don for your grin-it-bear-it, and sorry!)

Larry

was_jlh

Enlightened
tvodrd, running xp or 2k?

If so, close OE, go into windows explorer and browse to the path on your pc which is similar to below ( the drive letter and the number after identities may differ and replace username with yours ) :

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{202CD3E9-0365-4400-BEF6-19B3643E803B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

This is the folder with your OE stuff. If there is nothing else in your outbox that you want, just delete Outbox.dbx ( may be Outbox(number).dbx.

Then restart OE. Items will be gone.

Joe

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'm running 2K. Can't find that file path. No luck with search for Outbox.dbx or *.dbx either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Time for a beer!

Larry

Avix

Newly Enlightened
have you run a virus check of late? OE is well known as the worlds premier Virus Catching Software.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I'm thinking that your user account doesn't have the correct permissions to delete emails or modify system files (such as a .dbx file). The problem here is that if you login as an administrator, OE will display the user account of the administrator by default and you won't see the problem emails. You can within OE change to another user account, it is one of the menu options somewhere.

You may be able to find outbox.dbx when logged in with administrator rights, but there will be more than one, each user account has individual inboxes, outboxes, and custom folders.

After many years of using MS Mail then later Outlook Express, I finally dumped OE in favor of Pegasus Mail (free/shareware) earlier this year and love it. All the files and accounts are stored under 1 branch of folders!
Pegasus Mail web site

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I keep my NAV dats and Uncle Bill's patches current. Ran a full NAV scan last night and found/quaranteened 3 &#@%^$ worms! (Gotta do that more often!) Due to a pooch at initial set-up thanks to a programmer buddy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif I have me, all users, and admin. Aint got a clue which I am when I boot! I will try logging off/on as another and searching again. Thanx!

Edit- logged off as me and still no luck for *.dbx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Mike,

I don' "go directly to inbox" on opening. Poked around some more in settings, and hit "refresh." (Sorry, Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Larry

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to search for .dbx files and you are running Windows 2000, you have two choices. Either boot up XP or from Windows Explorer click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
eluminator,

Found it! Aint got a clue what to try and open it with or what to do next?????

Larry

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all else fails, download Mozilla 1.5 or whatever, and use Mozilla Messenger (multi account capable) and you won't have virus or vbscript problems, so long as you don't open strange attachments.

You will find it at www.mozilla.org

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
was jlh -

Can tvodrd open Outbox.dbx in word pad, find the message and delete it? It would scare me to just delete it then create a new folder in the tree window, mainly because this is way past me. Just very curious to find out what the final fix is.

- Jeff

was_jlh

Enlightened
Jeff, once he finds the correct outbox.dbx, he just needs to delete it. When he restarts OE, a new one will be created.

Larry, did you get the instructions I sent?

Joe