LED strip connectors

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
I recently converted a bus/motor home ceiling lights to LED using LED strips, cut into short strips. I also fixed up a trailer's lights with LEDs the same way.......It was a PITA. I had to strip the plastic from each min-strip's connector tab area then solder.....again and again and....it also took quite a lkot of time.

I now want to use strips for veranda and shed lighting and I have found that the higher-power (5050 etc), if left in a full strip, lose a HEAP of power due to strip loss in the conductors, which are too fine for a full length let alone chained strips. So a few feeder cables would not go astray.

So I have seen the garden lights where you just clamp the cables with a little plastic gizzmo that has spikes to contact the conductors. Can you get these for LED strip lighting?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have played alot with cheap china 5050 strip lights. If you are worried about loss, then a crimp connector would likely be the worst way to go. If you use a good power supply, then loss shouldn't be a huge issue. I have linked 3 Cheap 5 meter strings together using a Astron 10amp power supply at around 13.8 volts and not had a single loss of output issue. I connected the strips by soldering them.

I already had the power supply lying around from some Ham Radio stuff.

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
I have played alot with cheap china 5050 strip lights. If you are worried about loss, then a crimp connector would likely be the worst way to go. If you use a good power supply, then loss shouldn't be a huge issue. I have linked 3 Cheap 5 meter strings together using a Astron 10amp power supply at around 13.8 volts and not had a single loss of output issue. I connected the strips by soldering them.

I already had the power supply lying around from some Ham Radio stuff.

I have to disagree. I ran a single 5m strip of 5050 and it was way under current, with a 250w power supply set at 13-8v.Connecting both ends helped and also made brightness even along the strip, but it was still under current. Many others have spoken of the same experience.

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
So what I am finding now is crimp stuff that still needs the silicone covering removed from the solder tabs on the strip: one of tyhe nastiest parts for me. There are a few arguments that say it's easy, but I feel that there are LED strips and LED strips: I have had a coupe of shockers whenn it vcomes to removing the covering.

I wish they would just do an "uncool" method that simply punches through the silicone into the pads.....