bulbs for Craftsman AA / Dorcy Excell

aedavis

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Craftsman AA light but can't find any replacement bulbs. This light is identical to the Dorcy Excell AA. Dorcy lists bulbs on their website but doesn't tell me where to get them.

Any suggestions? I couldn't find any solutions in the archives.

Thanks,

Allan

Empath

Flashaholic
I don''t have either the Craftsman or Dorcy, but I thought they were just T-1 lamps like the MiniMag uses.

aedavis

Newly Enlightened
Their diameter is larger than the minimag bulb. I tried a MM bulb this morning and it does work, but it is dimmer and gives a lousy beam. I'd like to find original equipment replacements.

Thanks for the reply,

Allan

Reaper

Enlightened
aedavis,

I had the same problem trying to find bulbs. Eventually I gave up and just put in the Newbeam from Opalec, so all I do now is just change bateries every now and then. In fact, I'm waiting for my second Craftsman light bulb to blow so I can do another.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
aedavis...If you have an Academy Sports nearby, or any place that sells the Smith & Wesson 2AA lights, their bulbs are the same diameter as the Craftsman/Dorcy 2AA ones. Plus, they're xenon, so they're noticeably brighter than the Dorcy bulbs. I have an Academy right down the road, and if you'd like I'll pick you up a couple of the 2 packs and send them to you. PM me...

PJD

aedavis

Newly Enlightened
So how do you like the Smith and Wesson 2AA Xenon? That is what I wanted to buy, but I couldn't find one anywhere locally and Sears had this AA on sale, so . . .

Thanks,

Allan

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It is rather large especially compared to the MM.

It has a non momentary clickie on the barrel which accounts for most of the length difference.

It makes a decent amount and quality of light, but since finding G2, Pelican MityLite 2AA and some other lights with frosted or orange peal reflectors I don't mess with it much.

The build quality seems pretty darn good. The Sears light is a Dorcy in drag, and is just enough different to matter.

Between the two I prefer the S&W.

Academy Sports and Outdoors is where my S&W came from.

Bill.H

Enlightened
I second what Reaper said: Put a Newbeam into it. A few have been done, if you want instructions with pics, do a search for "Dopalec".
(don't blame me, Tomas named it that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)