Fitorch        
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VC4

Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VC4

Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post
    but which one is better in the REAL WORLD? assuming the nimh cells aren't new. maybe 100 cycles in them
    If you do voltage termination the lower value is safer, but needs to be followed by a top-off charge to fill the batteries. There is also another problem: voltage termination will vary slightly with temperature.
    With eneloop 1.52 volt works fine, but some other cells may have problems.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    If you do voltage termination the lower value is safer, but needs to be followed by a top-off charge to fill the batteries. There is also another problem: voltage termination will vary slightly with temperature.
    With eneloop 1.52 volt works fine, but some other cells may have problems.

thanks. they just can't get these things right:

BT-C3100 uses 2+ amp pulses. otherwise great

Lii-500 no delta-V, no top-off. otherwise great

VC4. limited by USB power. no delta-v. otherwise great

why isn't there a really good charger LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post
    Lii-500 no delta-V, no top-off. otherwise great
    You do not want both, either -dv/dt or constant voltage + top-off
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/

You do not want both, either -dv/dt or constant voltage + top-off
    yes of course.

I joined to post some time sensitive information on the VC4 charger that I thought would be some benefit to users (my experiences and a link to a flash sale (still active at this point)). Registering here is relatively difficult but I've gotten a lot of good information here. Thought I would do some payback for the service. My 2 posts are still not showing up though and I haven't received any feedback from admins. Wondering?

Thanks/Ed

For some reason my 3rd post showed up but not my first 2 posts with my impressions of the VC4 versus my other chargers. Hopefully they'll show up soon. Here's the flash deal I found and purchased my VC4. It's still valid at this point (actually $16.68 now):

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_160440.html?wid=2

Only valid at the US warehouse it seems. Just ordered another one at that price for a gift.

Sorry guys, somehow my first two posts must have been lost in "approval heaven" and the sale appears to be over. At least I think I'm able to post normally now so if I see this deal again I'll post it.

[IMG]IMG_1165.jpg IMG_1166.jpg[/IMG]Ok. So I'm really confused at this point... I own 1 Nitecore I4 2 Nite Core D4 and I just got the Xtar VC4. I really like the VC4 because it allows me to charge the C and D batteries. I've noticed first off that the C batteries Tenergy LSD 4000mah weren't being charged fully in the D4 or the I4. I didn't think there was a problem with the AA/AAA and 18650's. Now I'm really confused. I took some LSD AmazonBasic Blacks High capacity AA's I just charged about 2 days ago and tested them in the charger. I was shocked to see that it was not fully charged. almost 700mah and then several other batteries I tested are showing not fully charged... although the Lithium ion's are charged with only 40mah give or take after the nitecore D4 has charged it completely... So do I have a defective charger? or what? these are brand new batteries and I trust that since the AmazonBasic High capacity batteries are equivalent if not the same as the 2nd gen Eneloopxx. just see the pictures...

It is very difficult to detect a full NiMH battery, this means some chargers need up to 30 minutes to detect it. During that time they will be charging the cell.

Here's another VC4 sale from an e-mail I received:

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_160440.html

Then apply this code in your shopping cart: "VC4EM". The price should be $21.59 shipped (from China). Enjoy.

Edit: If nobody cares about these sales, let me know and I won't bother to post them. The VC4 is so far the best charger I've used (more than a few) and thought some might be interested.
    Last edited by CanoeBeyond; 11-22-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Good Review, Though i would prefer digits to dials, and the non-standard usb cable, crazy or what.

I have a couple of UK plug 12v 2a power supply's on order only £1.77 each as i have a couple of chargers that came with EU plug power adapters and they look awful sticking out the wall when using an UK adapter.

John.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 11-23-2015 at 02:47 AM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

So what is the consensus, is the VC4 a good charger or not? I am debating getting one or the XP4 for its ability to charge 1A on all of the 4 slots.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerjoe View Post
    So what is the consensus, is the VC4 a good charger or not? I am debating getting one or the XP4 for its ability to charge 1A on all of the 4 slots.
    I'm using mine right now and for an 'everyday' charger it's slow on 4 slots, much like the NiteCore i4 and D4. It's just the nature of the beast.

If you need faster 4 slot charging, the Opus BT-3100/3400 v. 2.2 will do I believe 1A for all four slots. Or the XP4 Panzer.

I bought the VC4 because I can use in on a 5V USB solar charger, or in a car that is so equipped.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGarrett; 12-01-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Agree with Chris, no argument against it being a good charger,nicely made,good brand, flexible on chemistry. My gripe too was the slow charge when 4 bays are occupied(happened on just 1+4 bays as well). Dont think everyone suffers this though, sure a lot has to do with the plug. I wasted more money than the charger on finding the right plug! Not the smartest move but i dont like giving in...............i ended up giving in

Since then i picked up a good deal on the opus as Chris suggested, does exactly what it says on the tin! Display is not as fancy but it will give V readouts and mah in digital format.

I was thinking of getting a charger more for use as a backup in the car. That's why i want a charger that can do at least 2slots at 1A.
    The vc4 fits the bill and also because i have a car usb charger that does 2.4A.

The xp4 is another contender but it seems that it heats up quite a bit and uses its own car plug.

Although i want it becuase of its capability to use in a car i also want to use it at home for regular charging.
    Very undecided right now...

I've done some quick&dirty testing (new Eneloop Pro, used a few cycles) on the Xtar VC4 I just received from nkon.

With the Enerpower Flypower 2A that HKJ reviewed, the VC4 shows 1.0A during charging with cells in slots 1 and 2. With four cells VC4 shows 0.5A.

With the Sony EP 880 (5.0v, 1.5A) supplied with my phone I get 0.8A for two Eneloop Pro and 0.4A for four of them.

Measurements 20-30 minutes after start of charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuppet View Post
    I've done some quick&dirty testing (new Eneloop Pro, used a few cycles) on the Xtar VC4 I just received from nkon.

With the Enerpower Flypower 2A that HKJ reviewed, the VC4 shows 1.0A during charging with cells in slots 1 and 2. With four cells VC4 shows 0.5A.

With the Sony EP 880 (5.0v, 1.5A) supplied with my phone I get 0.8A for two Eneloop Pro and 0.4A for four of them.

Measurements 20-30 minutes after start of charging.
    Don't go by what the charger shows for amperage. Get a timer, or use your watch. Plug in your VC4 (to whatever wall wart you use,) start charging and begin timing.

In 30 minutes, come back and read the capacity counter. If you see 500mAh, then you're getting a 1A charging rate. If you see 250mAh, you're getting a 500mA rate, even if you're not exactly there.

My VC4 is all over the map, but it's not my primary charger and when the zombies are attacking, I'll be happy I have her.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    Don't go by what the charger shows for amperage. Get a timer, or use your watch. Plug in your VC4 (to whatever wall wart you use,) start charging and begin timing.

In 30 minutes, come back and read the capacity counter. If you see 500mAh, then you're getting a 1A charging rate. If you see 250mAh, you're getting a 500mA rate, even if you're not exactly there.

My VC4 is all over the map, but it's not my primary charger and when the zombies are attacking, I'll be happy I have her.

Chris
    Sure, that is my intention, but it was a quick&dirty test based upon posts/review that a weak PSU showed itself with a lower reported max current during charging. So far I've got good results as reported by the charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuppet View Post
    Sure, that is my intention, but it was a quick&dirty test based upon posts/review that a weak PSU showed itself with a lower reported max current during charging. So far I've got good results as reported by the charger.
    I've had two VC4s and I have the 12w 2.4A Apple OEM block and I've only seen true 1000mAh charging on a couple of instances when measured over 60 minutes and even 180 minutes. Also, I don't even know if I've seen 500mAh, with four slots filled, for even an hour.

And I'm not really alone on this one, either and I have one of those little Xtar USB voltage/current meters to give me a bit more info.

You need to time things out and see where you're at, according to the mAh meter, which HKJ has stated is fairly accurate.

Maybe I'll try another wall wart and see what I see?

Chris

Flashaholic*

XTAR VC4 has a maximum of 2 amps or 1 amp each to channel 1 and 4 or 500mAh to each channel when all 4 are being used. I use two XTAR VP2 chargers and it is the best investment I have made for the care of my batteries. I can even charge 18650's that support 4.35 volts which has a noticeable increase in output.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    I have one of those little Xtar USB voltage/current meters to give me a bit more info.
    I would not expect full charge current on the VC4 if you uses an USB meter. The meter will lose some voltage on on usb power and the VC4 will reduce the current.

Flashaholic*

I'd also like to emphasize the importance of clean USB connectors. You may be surprised that even brand new unused USB connectors can have "invisible" dirt. If you don't believe me, try this:

Take a piece of paper (recycled/rough paper works best), cut out a square roughly 10cm x 20cm. This takes some fiddling, but you want to roll it up to end up with a "flat stick" that can fit into the end of a USB plug slightly loosely. Then fold about 0.5cm of the strip over itself to form a "plug", and insert/remove it from a USB plug a few times. You'll get black lines on it - dirt!

Do this to the cable you use to power your VC4, you can also use a similar method to clean USB sockets (but not too much pressure). For me, this has fixed charging problems. I now make a habit of cleaning USB cables that are regularly removed/inserted every month or so to maintain performance. Devices like mobile phones will *not* tell you that they are charging slowly due to increased resistance!

I discharged some Eneloop Pro and charged using the VC4 and the Enerpower Flypower 2A PSU.

The max current showed 1.0A all the time when charging in slot #1 and #4, and below are time (HH:MM) and mAh charged as shown by VC4 for slot #1 except the last line for #4. The actual charging seems to be about 750 mAh when charging in #1 and #4.

00:10 14
    00:20 140
    00:40 394
    01:10 773
    01:40 1153
    02:10 1530
    02:40 1914
    03:10 2290
    03:27 2503 (#1 green, charged)
    03:34 2572 (#4 green, charged)
    Last edited by Nuppet; 01-17-2016 at 09:35 AM.

I would not expect full charge current on the VC4 if you uses an USB meter. The meter will lose some voltage on on usb power and the VC4 will reduce the current.
    You've mentioned that to me in the past and I don't really use it often on my USB chargers, whether I'm charging with my XP1 on the PC, or the VC4 off of the Apple OEM WW. It's nice to fiddle with at certain times, but it seems that there's little room for error with the USB wall warts, USB chargers and the Xtar meter.

Chris

Hi

Just bought VC4.
    Then i try charger my 2450 eneloop XX. after 1 hour slot 4 show full at 07xx mAh. But other 3 slots still charging and show 08xx mAh.
    Then i just unplug power cord, then plug its again.
    Now VC4 just start again from 0000 mAh ????

Try charging my NCR18650B, same situation.

Is its normal for VC4?

thanks

Flashaholic*

Yes this is normal behaviour. The VC4 does not store the charge status into non volatile memory.

Thanks for reply zipplet

But if batt get full charged, why when i unplug and plug power again, batt that was full, recharger again and about 20 minutes still not full filled again?
    Last edited by me_no_thing; 02-06-2016 at 06:58 AM.

What are the pros/cons of the VC4 compared with the Nightcore I4?

I have both and i would say the vc4 is far nicer made, better quality plastic( price difference should reflect this) making it heavier , far nicer display, more useful display (obviously as the i4 does not have one). Not really a fair comparison tbh, maybe the D4 would be a closer one. The only gripe for me is the charging side, decent plug a must! It comes with a substantial USB lead, no plug as its designed as a portable(be it a big one) charger. The vc4 will(USB plug dependent) charge at 1a on bays 1+4 and 0.5 across the 4, the i4 drops to a painfully slow 0.35a iirc.............(0.5 is too slow and i find painful!!!) .

If quicker charging is not a big consideration then the vc4 makes a good choice, certainly with the flexibility of nimh charging(like the i4)

I prefer the digital read out of the vp series (1/2/4) over the dial, more accurate and easier to read on the eye imo.

I have both VC4 and i4 v2014 and I agree wholeheartedly with ven.
    Decent USB plug for VC4 is a must, at least 2A plug like those use for iPad, Samsung Tab, etc.

Another thing I don't like about the i4 is that I always have to refer to the manual which slots are 0.75A if I want to charge max of 2 batteries at one go, coz if one of the 2 batteries is charged at the wrong slot, it will only charge at 0.375A.
    On the VC4, it is clearly labelled that slots 1 and 4 can charge up to 1A if max of 2 batteries are charged at simultaneously.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast