What's your mobile charging setup?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Hello all,

During my peregrinations as a flashoholic on the go I've developed a setup that works for me.

As someone who favors and EDCs small pocket lights (AAA, CR2, or sub-CR2 size batteries) I have a simple setup that works for me as I am usually working with USB chargers like the Xtar MP2s, Xtar MC0, or a USB charger meant for a 10180, 10280, or 10220 battery-sized light such as the Steve Ku ones offered with his tiny flashlights which I'm sure many here are familiar with.

As these batteries are typically 300 mAh or less (as in the case of my AW 14250 3.7V ones) or the 10220s (which are only 120 mAh, and the 10180s are only 80), a cheap $10 drug store power bank will give me enough power for weeks. But being suspicious of no name cheapo Chinese power banks I've invested in several Mophie 6000 mAh and even a 12000 mAh model (which I use on my iPad). These are expensive batteries, but then they pretty much deliver what they claim for their power specs. They also have four green LEDs which serve as a useful state of charge indicator, and the LEDs can also detect cable faults such as a short (all LEDs flash together). (I mention they're green because the ones with blue LEDs like some sold on Amazon and eBay are fakes).

I always have one of these Mophie packs in the car, office, or next to my big overstuffed armchair in our TV room. I also have a couple of Goal Zero Guide 10 NiMH AA based units which work pretty well too.

I'm usually carrying something like a 4Sevens Mini MLR2 or a Nitecore Sens Mini, sometimes a Lummi Orb Raw (all CR2 sized lights) or a Lummi Wee, DQG Spy or Fairy, etc. (all 10180 sized lights), or a Veleno Designs Quantum D2. I also have several Olight i3 EOS AAA lights that I like. With this setup I have power for weeks or months and I don't have to worry about car adapters, wall adapters, or whatever. I just charge the Mophies as needed. Works for me.

If I were EDCing bigger lights like RCR123A and 18650 types this would still work fine as the Mophies have enough capacity, but I rarely carry anything that big. (If I want something BIG, I can always carry my Polarion PH40 CSWL :)).

The Mophies are also more than powerful enough to charge my iPhone 5C several times, as it's battery is only 1430 mAh if I remember right.

What's your setup?

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as there's juice running through my condo, all charging gets done in the kitchen, where I store my chargers and have counter space to fiddle with things. I don't yet have any power banks, but I plan to get one soon, just to have. I'm trying to justify the Xtar XP-1 USB charger, but as long as I have juice, I have an AC outlet, so really...what's the point? Also, that charger doesn't charge up 18650s.

I have an LG flip phone with two spare batteries, so if I need to go somewhere where I'll be on the phone for a long time (really never happens) I can grab the spares, so a power bank really isn't indispensable. Same with flashlights. It's easy for me to carry two spare 16340s in a snap case if I'll be knowing the light will be used a lot at that point.

Finally, I put together two 30w mono crystal solar panels and fashioned a semi-portable solar charging kit with a 22Ah, 12Ah and 7Ah SLA AGM battery for charging my stuff up if and when a hurricane blows through here and power is cut for any length of time.

Chris

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments.

Just one thing, you said,

"I have an AC outlet, so really...what's the point? Also, that charger doesn't charge up 18650s."

Well, for one thing, we live in an area with lots of power outages, and sometimes the AC outlet doesn't work.

Or at least in the past it didn't. We finally put in a 20 kilowatt generator and that fixed that. But that was a lot more expensive than my mobile charging setup. :)

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some subset of this, which incl's a 2NiMh > iPhone charger, and a light that can run on ANY battery:
13199922915_340eeb7005_z.jpg

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Nice setup and photo!

Is that a Cottonpicker's charger that I see? I have the Octa-charger version and wish I'd bought two more now that I hear he's gone on to other things.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Hi Changchung,

This is off topic but I love the photo of Jackie Coogan. If you haven't read the Wikipedia article on him it's fascinating. Most people only know him from his later years as Uncle Fester but he has quite an interesting history.

He was the first big child star who made millions during the 20s (48 to 60 million in today's dollars, all of which was squandered by his parents and resulted in California's laws protecting child actors), was involved with a lynch mob over the murder of a friend, raised millions for charities for the victims of war atrocities for which he was honored by the Pope, and during WWII was a pilot who volunteered for hazardous duty in India and Burma. But most people only know him as the goofy uncle on the Addams family. If you read the article you'll never see Uncle Fester the same again. I was amazed. You just never know about people.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice setup and photo!

Is that a Cottonpicker's charger that I see? I have the Octa-charger version and wish I'd bought two more now that I hear he's gone on to other things.

Yeah CP's 3 speed. Wish I had a spare or two, too.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I have two power banks, one 6100 mAh and one 15000 mAh. I also have a 12v cord for my i4 v2 charger. I have most of the parts to make a USB to 12v boost box so I can run my i4 off of the power banks if I need to. My next step is a USB solar panel to be able to recharge the power banks that way as well. My only concern there is that the i4 draws a max of 10W. Given the eight hours it takes to recharge four 18650 cells, that should come to 80 Wh. My big power bank can only store about 79 Wh, so I come up a little short. I will have to experiment when I get my booster box made to see what it actually takes.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Nice idea, Timothy. Let us know how it works out.

My feeling is 79 Wh would probably be okay. That's only a little more than a 1% deficit after all.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Changchung,

This is off topic but I love the photo of Jackie Coogan. If you haven't read the Wikipedia article on him it's fascinating. Most people only know him from his later years as Uncle Fester but he has quite an interesting history.

He was the first big child star who made millions during the 20s (48 to 60 million in today's dollars, all of which was squandered by his parents and resulted in California's laws protecting child actors), was involved with a lynch mob over the murder of a friend, raised millions for charities for the victims of war atrocities for which he was honored by the Pope, and during WWII was a pilot who volunteered for hazardous duty in India and Burma. But most people only know him as the goofy uncle on the Addams family. If you read the article you'll never see Uncle Fester the same again. I was amazed. You just never know about people.

Wow, I did not that... I will read more from him... Thanksss

magellan

Honorary Aussie
You're welcome.

I had no idea either until by chance I happened to read that article. I was stupified. Who would have thought?

Teobaldo

Newly Enlightened
I have some power banks ranging between 1 and 4x18650, and three folding solar panels and one roller. Alongside this, I have two chargers that work with USB input (which I have become my standard for traveling). Depending on where I'm going and what kind of trip, I choose a combination thereof.

17029774507_b39517d4ef_o.jpg

17029775037_242948cc65_o.jpg

4 3400 pana in parallel with a circuit from FT that charge the batteries via a USB

Could you indicate what were, please, because I'm interested in using some spare batteries me to do something more personalized.

Thank you, magellan, for the info of Jackie Coogan.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I have some power banks ranging between 1 and 4x18650, and three folding solar panels and one roller. Alongside this, I have two chargers that work with USB input (which I have become my standard for traveling). Depending on where I'm going and what kind of trip, I choose a combination thereof.

17029774507_b39517d4ef_o.jpg

17029775037_242948cc65_o.jpg

Could you indicate what were, please, because I'm interested in using some spare batteries me to do something more personalized.

Thank you, magellan, for the info of Jackie Coogan.

Very cool 18650 collection and solar setup. I just have the Goal Zero one which has been fine so far.

Teobaldo

Newly Enlightened
The solar panels are:

1) Brunton Solaris 6: 6 Watts, 12V / 480 mAh. Works very well and goes up to 19 V.

2) Chinese Product purchased on DinoDirect: 5V 800mAh (really just reaches 500), but serves its purpose. Only USB output.

3) Powerfilm Rollable 13: 13 Watts, 12V / 800 mAh. Like the Brunton, complies with the description of its capabilities and goes up to 19V.

4) Chinese Product purchased on Dealextreme: 12V / 1,2 A, USB and plug connector. Only gives 480 mAh and can not charge my Sony Vaio, but delivers up to 19 V.

1) and 3) were purchased at Amazon. The Powerfilm is a special version of the brand, as they do with the leftovers of other panels manufactured (as learned a buyer and commented on Amazon).

Perhaps leave a little of topic, but it must be mentioned that solar panels usually reach about 12V manufacturers specify (some up to 22 I was told in a store). Must be taken into account before connecting any device that consumes less; I burned a charger for not noticing that detail.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
"Perhaps leave a little of topic, but it must be mentioned that solar panels usually reach about 12V manufacturers specify (some up to 22 I was told in a store). Must be taken into account before connecting any device that consumes less; I burned a charger for not noticing that detail."

Thanks, that's good to know as I'm still relatively new to solar panels and didn't know that.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
For car trips, I usually just grab my mobile charging kit which relies on USB powered chargers.
- two 12v to USB charger power source (one as a back up / spare)
- one 120vac USB charger power source
- one 3400mAh lithium ion portable USB power pack
- Sanyo NC-MDU01 NiMh USB charger
- modified XTAR MP1S lithium ion charger (200, 400 or 800mA charge rate)
- various cables in the zippered section

LKYJc29.jpg

Case was purchased from Walmart. I tore out the bottom area and added in some foam. The foam isn't glued in so I can remove and redo the organization in the future.
MC0R53F.jpg