Custom Bicycles

Greta

Flashaholic
Last weekend I went to a "bike convention" in Las Vegas. It's called OBC - Outlaw Bicycle Clubs. It was VERY cool and I was able to do a couple of photo shoots with some of the guys and their custom bikes.

I was wondering how many of you here are into building and/or restoring custom bikes (to go with your custom lights ;) ) and if any would be interested in seeing some of the photos I took? Maybe expand this forum a bit to go beyond just bicycle lights?

As a teaser... here is one of my photos...

OBC2015a.jpg

Franco

Newly Enlightened
Those are some neat bicycles! Very creative designs, some quite similar to motorcycles. I can't quite help being skeptical of the frame geometry and ergonomics, but I realize that these are probably show pieces more than anything else. Love to know how they ride though, regardless.

By the way, Greta, I really like your photos. I especially love the very first, for its colors; and the last, in which you removed distractions combined with a great B&W look for that bike. My compliments. :thumbsup:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh heck... don't get me started on shiny bikes! :)

I've had custom frames built twice over the years, albeit more ordinary frames than what you see at a show like this.

I have attended two of the NAHBS shows.. North American Handbuilt Bicycle Show. The last was in Louisville in March.

Pics from the 2009 NAHBS in Indianapolis:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj00/sets/72157614498379909/

Pics from the 2015 NAHBS in Louisville:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj00/sets/72157650816499570/

There's about 700 photos in each group, so plan accordingly. :)

There are a number of custom frame builders that have Flickr pages. Sooo much amazing metal work and shiny paint jobs!

Greta

Flashaholic
Steve... I know! I was totally blown away! My first OBC was last year because my daughter and her husband come down from Denver for it. This year my son-in-law was asked to do some photo shoots and he asked me to help out. Of course, he was taking photos of the components and all that stuff while I was doing what he refers to as "artsy stuff". (Before he left to go back home, he handed me an SD card and asked me if I would put all of my photos on it for him - ;) ). I really enjoyed it and ended up going to my local bike shop this past Friday and bought a bike with the "love" Vegas showed me on this trip... :p

I'm so intrigued by the lines of these bikes - geometrics. And the paint jobs! - :wow: I'm definitely hooked now so my next goal is Interbike... with a press badge... ;)

Greta

Flashaholic
Steve... your photos are awesome! I see you're more into the components perspective like my son-in-law. I tried to take a few like that but they turned out "artsy" in the end. I'll post those tomorrow. Some pretty neat stuff these guys do with their bikes! I can't even imagine how much money is into some of them.

Meanwhile... here's my new bike before I wheeled it out of the shop...

MyBike.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I am an example of the N+1 formula ... Bought a mountain bike in 2013 that I tried to make do everything (it didn't), road bike in early 2014, am putting together a better mountain bike right now, narrowly missed a smoking deal on a barely-used neat commuter bike, and will probably do some work on my original mountain bike to make it more amenable to its actual use or mixed road/MUP riding. Hopefully I resist the urge to obtain a fatbike since I'd rarely use it in its intended environment in snow, mud, or otherwise truly off-road/off-trail. Full-squish mountain bike might happen if I find myself bombing down local trails to such an extreme that the as-yet-unbuilt hardtail can't handle (more likely I run out of skill first).

The Evo utility bike concept looked neat, but I suspect they never launched (no news since ~July of last year) and would demand an eye-watering price for their wares because San Francisco.

But really, I'm into customization more than actual custom bikes - my two present bikes have seen some modest upgrades along the way while the third one will be built from components. At some point I could conceivably get a custom frame for some sort of commuter/road like bicycle since I'm a tad outside of the norm when it comes to bicycle ergonomics - they just don't plan on guys that are 6'4" with a 36" inseam.

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve... your photos are awesome! I see you're more into the components perspective like my son-in-law. I tried to take a few like that but they turned out "artsy" in the end. I'll post those tomorrow. Some pretty neat stuff these guys do with their bikes! I can't even imagine how much money is into some of them.

Meanwhile... here's my new bike before I wheeled it out of the shop...

I do like to keep up on what the component manufacturers are doing, such as the wild cassette that SRAM machines out of a single piece of steel (I don't have the nerve to ask what it costs), but I generally feel that components are far higher tech than I have any interest in or use for. The parts on most of my bikes date back to the 70's or 80's, and I'm happy with them.

The one "component" that has been changing a lot lately is ("are"?) tires! There has been a lot of attention on wider tires that are still built to be light and supple. Top racers are even using wider tires than they used to, which is amazing. The offerings from tire manufacturers has expanded quite a bit, which is fun. The variety in wheel sizes, especially in fat bikes (tires that are 4" wide or so) was very evident at the last NAHBS too. The fat tire bikes were everywhere!

Personally, I'm much more into the frame building skills. Some of the lug work, such as Mark DiNucci's, is just incredible...
16822653255_eb4e9caea1_z_d.jpg

Congrats on the new bike, Greta! Looks like it'll be great for recreation as well as running a few errands. The internal geared hubs have really improved since I was a kid.. more speeds and more reliable. A great option for those seeking lower maintenance and less parts to fiddle with.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an example of the N+1 formula ... Bought a mountain bike in 2013 that I tried to make do everything (it didn't), road bike in early 2014, am putting together a better mountain bike right now, narrowly missed a smoking deal on a barely-used neat commuter bike, and will probably do some work on my original mountain bike to make it more amenable to its actual use or mixed road/MUP riding. Hopefully I resist the urge to obtain a fatbike since I'd rarely use it in its intended environment in snow, mud, or otherwise truly off-road/off-trail. Full-squish mountain bike might happen if I find myself bombing down local trails to such an extreme that the as-yet-unbuilt hardtail can't handle (more likely I run out of skill first).

The Charge bike that you linked to ("neat commuter bike") is nicely done. Single chainring, for a bit of simplicity, fenders, and presumably rack fittings? Throw on a hub dynamo and lights and you're all set! A lot of my miles are commuting miles, so I do love good fenders, a good rack or two, and definitely love my hub dynamos! And of course, one of the best benefits of bike commuting is the excuse to make your own bike lights!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj00/sets/72157649424813991/

The Evo utility bike concept looked neat, but I suspect they never launched (no news since ~July of last year) and would demand an eye-watering price for their wares because San Francisco.

But really, I'm into customization more than actual custom bikes - my two present bikes have seen some modest upgrades along the way while the third one will be built from components. At some point I could conceivably get a custom frame for some sort of commuter/road like bicycle since I'm a tad outside of the norm when it comes to bicycle ergonomics - they just don't plan on guys that are 6'4" with a 36" inseam.

A buddy who is roughly your size picked up frame from Surly? Soma? or was it one of the tig'ed frames from Waterford? Gunnar, I think. That sounds about right.... Anyway, it's a nice steel frame and fits him fine. He's got it kitted out with good, modern parts and a Brooks saddle. He seems quite pleased with it. The guy is strong and can just drop me when he's in the mood, so I don't think that a steel frame is holding him back at all. :)
The availability of these frames is a nice change from the old days.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

For you to be riding a road bike with a 36" inseam, you need either a 61 or 63cm frame depending on length of top tube. I'm 6'5" and don't fit the cookie cutter, one of five frame sizes will fit you mentality.

I haven't purchased a complete bike in 20 years. Titanium frames for road, single track trail and aluminum for technical full suspended.

Check out JensonUSA or Pricepoint for clearance frames. I picked up a Jamis Dakar Expert, clearance frame because they change frame and swing arm colors every year. If you keep and eye out you can get last years components at 50% off or more.

Build a cyclocross bike, flat bars for a more heads up riding style using a mix of mountain and road components. 700C or 29" wheels and a short stem. For in-town riding a 165-170mm crank offers quick spinning. Use a mountain triple crank as it's geared lower than road cranks. A good set of platform pedals and good saddle and you're golden.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The Charge bike that you linked to ("neat commuter bike") is nicely done. Single chainring, for a bit of simplicity, fenders, and presumably rack fittings? Throw on a hub dynamo and lights and you're all set! A lot of my miles are commuting miles, so I do love good fenders, a good rack or two, and definitely love my hub dynamos! And of course, one of the best benefits of bike commuting is the excuse to make your own bike lights!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj00/sets/72157649424813991/
Yeah, I wish I had committed to that bike - such utilitarian simplicity isn't easy to come by - especially in an XL frame.

Everything I read about dynamos makes them seem like finicky things; think I'll just deal with recharging NiMH and Li-Ion cells and accept the ~3 hour limit for reasonable night headlight performance per charge

For you to be riding a road bike with a 36" inseam, you need either a 61 or 63cm frame depending on length of top tube. I'm 6'5" and don't fit the cookie cutter, one of five frame sizes will fit you mentality.
[...]
Build a cyclocross bike, flat bars for a more heads up riding style using a mix of mountain and road components. 700C or 29" wheels and a short stem. For in-town riding a 165-170mm crank offers quick spinning. Use a mountain triple crank as it's geared lower than road cranks. A good set of platform pedals and good saddle and you're golden.
My road bike is a 63cm frame - was the only one they had in stock when I was shopping.

I live in very flat DFW and find that on my mixed-use MTB (road, MUP) I never need to shift out of the big chain ring; conversely on trails I've done OK pedaling exclusively on the mid ring - so I'm going to do away with the front deraileur entirely. The new MTB I'm building up (Niner EMD frame) will be 1x10. Once I'm done with that project I'm going to shop the secondary market for a 1x9 drivetrain for the the road/MUP machine.

The guys on 'Cross bikes tend not to fare so well on the MTB trails around here, so I doubt I'd use such a thing much, although a sturdy frame with disc brakes would be appealing for weeknight rides on mixed media.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I'm at in Virginia, we have a mix of hills, well small mountains and some long flats. 1X10 and 2X10's drive trains don't do well with large riders as the chain is too fragile. There's only so much room on a 135mm rear wheel for gears. Wheel dish on a ten speed is also problematic. I use the 9 speed XTR 11/34 cogs and a Ultegra or XTR triple.

I rode a single speed for a few years on the street. It teaches you balance and timing. With no brakes other than your legs, it's all you to slow and go.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Where I'm at in Virginia, we have a mix of hills, well small mountains and some long flats. 1X10 and 2X10's drive trains don't do well with large riders as the chain is too fragile. There's only so much room on a 135mm rear wheel for gears. Wheel dish on a ten speed is also problematic. I use the 9 speed XTR 11/34 cogs and a Ultegra or XTR triple.
On long road rides around here you might see 300 feet of elevation change; some of the MTB trails might have 100' climbs - ~50 feet at ~30 degrees is the most common extreme I've seen. The local mountain biking association recognizes this dynamic in their name - DORBA: Dallas Off Road Biking Association. I can always add a double or triple chain ring later if I think I need it.

Anyway, I think we've thoroughly sidetracked the discussion from custom bike designs.

Greta

Flashaholic

Anyway, I think we've thoroughly sidetracked the discussion from custom bike designs.

So start a new thread to continue your current discussion, if you want. Or... I'm not going to get all anal about this thread veering off if you want to just continue here... ;)

Would you guys (and gals?) like to have a Bicycle forum that is "all things bicycle" instead of just a bicycle lights forum? I can make it happen... I have the power... :grin2:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it too "meta" to have a discussion of where we go to have bike discussions?

'fer instance... I go to BikeForums for a few things, but it is so general that I don't find too much of interest. Their "Classic and Vintage" subforum is where I spend the most time.

There are a couple of Google Groups that I frequent... the "I-Bob" group and the "Classic Rendezvous" list. The I-Bob list is essentially derived from a Grant Peterson (i.e. Bridgestone bikes and Rivendell) "Bridgestone Owners Group" topics of proven technology, riding that isn't based on racing, some utility riding, etc. The Classic Rendezvous group is targeted at racing bikes from 1982 and before, as well as bike frames made with those aesthetics and methods.

I think this bike electronics subforum nicely replaced an older group called BikeCurrent. Lots of people tinkering and coming up with great ideas. Granted, commercial lights have really advanced and largely reduced any practical incentive to make your own lights. The MTBR DIY subforum was a good source for bike light tinkering too, although it seems to haved faded as well.

The Cafe has served well as a place to chat about general bike topics. The Rohloff hub thread hung around for quite a while.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
How timely - next week I'll have the last of the components I need to build my new MTB - Niner EMD 9 frame, RockShox Reba fork, 32T drive sprocket, 11-36T cassette, recycled Mavic CrossOne wheels, and shimano hydraulic brakes a grade or two above their baseline.

Since this is CPF, I don't know about lighting. I've yet to do any night trail riding and this thing isn't going to be too quick on the roads ... If I ever do trails, "bright and wide spread" would be the ideal.

So start a new thread to continue your current discussion, if you want. Or... I'm not going to get all anal about this thread veering off if you want to just continue here... ;)

Would you guys (and gals?) like to have a Bicycle forum that is "all things bicycle" instead of just a bicycle lights forum? I can make it happen... I have the power... :grin2:

Not sure how much traffic such a forum would get - perhaps the denizens of the cycling light forum would be open to some scope creep to include general discussion of bicycles?

idleprocess

Flashaholic

It is nearly done.

Needs grips, a rear brake adaptor, installation of the rear brake, shifter, removal of the superfluous largest and smallest front chainrings, some lizard skins on likely rub areas, adjustment, adjustment, adjustment, first ride, first crash, then the inevitable upgrades (such as perhaps a replacement chainring more suited to the deraileur-free life).

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to try and get a picture of my bikes today. I have only 2 now. But, I love bikes. A few years ago, I had over 20 that I bought at a state auction. I fixed the ones I could and gave the away to the less financially blessed. Funny part is, I bought the whole lot for 1 bike. A vintage Mongoose BMX. I will get it out today and take a picture. I did a full restore on it.
My other bike is a Walmart Special Schwinn. It isn't expensive, but it is a single speed and comfy. We have all flat ground here.

The Schwinn gets the most peddle time around the hood with my peeps. Its kinda cheesy, but it works. Yes it has lights & baskets all on it. lol Hey I have 2 kids, so I end up carrying all their junk to where ever we go.