XHP70 in a car

dice2jr

Newly Enlightened
hi guys,
i'm fairly new to led chips.
until now, i have dealt with led bars and led strips desinged for cars.

i have an idea of building a pretty powerful spot light with a tight beam for long distance lighting.

my question is how can i run a few xhp70's from my car battery? is it absolutely necessary to use a driver?if so, how do i regulate to 12v? the voltometer in my car shows approximately 13.8v when engine is running. is there a better or worse tight beam angle for specific applications?

i guess it is enough for now.

Thank you very much:)

Guy.

Nemesis158

Newly Enlightened
I think at the very least you would need some sort of resistor ahead of the LEDs to keep them from sucking all the power they can and burning out. Every High-output LED auto application i have seen uses a driver, since it can properly control the output to the LEDs from the battery/alternator, otherwise you may get noticeable flickering. all the lower output stuff generally uses internal resistors. if you get pre-built drivers designed for the LEDs in question, or something similar, they should be designed in such a fashion that they can run within a margin of say, 10-14V if you are going for a 12V driver circuit.

I hope you can get some good results, as I too have been waiting to see what the XHP50/70s can bring to the automotive lighting industry.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will need a purpose built automotive LED driver. A car's electrical system can have voltage spikes so resistor drive is not recommended.