Help an unqualified light buyer out please

FLfuzz

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Im contacting you because of your extensive knowledge on flashlights. I am a law enforcement officer in South Florida moving to night patrols and will be needing several nice flashlights for some of our rural areas. To be honest i'm not familiar with all the different technologies and features of lights so I was hoping you guys could help me make a selection.

I would like to have at least two lights (different from each other is alright) that are more compact in size similar to the 'Fenix PD35 2014 960 lumens XM-L2 U2 LED Tactical Flashlight' and the 'Streamlight 88040 ProTAC HL High Lumen Professional Tactical Light'...... Those are the two I stumbled upon in my research. Im looking for a few things, and I know this is a complete naive way to put this, but; bright, long beam (or adjustable), compact, easy battery exchange (AAA,AA, ect preferred, not necessary)...

These lights will be used nightly so the battery life is going to be short regardless if they have a special battery or not, really. But if there's a light with a battery out there that has an easy charge system for in my car that would be great too. That's what makes the AAA and AA batteries nice, just buying a whole pack or stopping at a gas station if needed....Lots of the old timers on the shift still use the big long maglights, or just whatever they find at walmart. But since its really one of the most used tools I'll be needing at night I want some advice from people who know what they're talking about when it comes to lights.

Thanks,
FLfuzz

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want stay around that size, you're looking at 1 or 2 AA light which won't have as much power as the 2CR123 lights you mention. As a LEO, I suspect you will want throw (for distance) and a tactical forward momentary clicky.

Surefire makes a E2L AA, but I think needs to cycle past low to get high. A FourSevens Quark Turbo (QB2A) will double the SF output, throws on a focus beam (large reflector) and has a true tactical UI/clicky, and fully supports 1AA or 2AA battery tubes. A Thrunite Neutron 2A V2 doubles the Quark's lumen output, but will throw about the same (less focused - eg, shotgun vs rifle), and comes with 1AA and 2AA tubes, it's the cheapest. Downside is the side electronic clicky is not fast to locate, and it is not a tactical/momentary UI. The Quark and Neutron are about the farthest throwing 2AAs Selfbuilt has tested, but I would go with the Quark for tactical UI/clicky and U.S. warranty/CS.

For batteries, get Eneloops (reg or Pro) and and 12V NiMh car charger.

FLfuzz

Newly Enlightened
If you want stay around that size, you're looking at 1 or 2 AA light which won't have as much power as the 2CR123 lights you mention. As a LEO, I suspect you will want throw (for distance) and a tactical forward momentary clicky.

This is definitely good information I'm going to follow up on. I happened to run into a sheriff the other day, and while we were talking he mentioned checking out the "Klarus XT12 Cree XM-L2 LED Tactical 930 Lumens Rechargeable Flashlight". Do you have any thoughts or experience with this light or brand? The simple click on/off recharger would be great while in the car between calls. It also seems to be of good build quality, ect. thanks for your quick reply also.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm primarily a AA/Eneloop/14500 guy (although I usually run a 16650 in a "AA" light) for compatibility with my other gadgets. Someone else can better assist you in the CR123/18650 market. I do read that the LEOs here tend to like the tactical features of the Klarus lights though.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What features are most important to you? Is USB charging a must have? Do you need a light which has a long throw or one which is more flood at short distances? Is runtime on high important to you and do you want an ultra low moonlight mode? Last but not least, what is your preferred battery type to use and why? Some of these questions will help us present some good options for you :)

Amelia

Enlightened
Most of the lights with good throw and long runtime won't be AA battery lights - just not enough "juice" to really do it right. CR123 lights will be better for your purposes, but they are expensive to feed in the long run.
For the best of all worlds, consider lights that will take both 2xCR123 or 1x18650 rechargeable, and buy a quality charger.

My recommendations, if I was in your position:

1 - EagleTac S200C2, Neutral White emitter - high quality, rugged, excellent throw, good runtime, plenty of useful side spill. Nice tactical UI (User Interface) with forward clicky. No stupid flashing "disco" modes to clutter up and confuse the user, just a rock solid easy to use light with plenty of output for any situation. If I was pulled over, this is the LAST light I'd want in my face if I was rebelling, it is SERIOUSLY intimidating on high! You can use 2xCR123 batteries, or 18650 rechargeables in this light.

2 - Xtar VP2 charger - foolproof, easy to use, fantastic quality charger with all the features you'll ever need

3 - EagleTac 3400mAH 18650 protected batteries - Panasonic 18650 cell, fit every 18650 light I've ever tried them in, expensive... but worth it.

Total cost: Around $140 for light, charger, and 2 batteries - shipped. Worth every penny and more - trust me on this. I own a ton of lights, batteries, and chargers - and that's what I would buy if I were looking for a mission critical "throwy" work light for 24/7 heavy use.

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
Have you considered the Fenix UC35? It's similar in size to the PD35 but includes an 18650 battery that you can charge in the light. It charges from a USB cable, so you can get one of those things that plugs into the car outlet (cigarette lighter). But it'll also take 2xCR123 batteries - so you can use it with the rechargeable, and just carry a pair of CR123s as backup. (PD35 could work the same way but would require a separate charger as opposed to having the charger built into the light).

UnderPar

Enlightened
Check out Klarus website. They have been mostly recommended for LEO and they have several tactical light that might address your need. HTH

FLfuzz

Newly Enlightened
What features are most important to you? Is USB charging a must have? Do you need a light which has a long throw or one which is more flood at short distances? Is runtime on high important to you and do you want an ultra low moonlight mode? Last but not least, what is your preferred battery type to use and why? Some of these questions will help us present some good options for you :)
The USB charging would be good for in the car. I'd like throw for the alley ways and wooded areas. I find with long throw up close things are still bright because the light radiates. Run time is "eh" to me... Its going to be on all the time so either way probably will die quickly. So the USB charge will be helpful for when not on an actual call needing the light.. the moonlight might be good for ticket writing and interviewing in the dark ect, but not absolutely needed. batteries arent tooo important. i just like the easy accessibility of the AA and AAA ect. hope I havent been idle too long just been swamped lately.... Thanks again everyone.. theres so many lights being mentioned I'm not even sure where to begin checking lol. thanks guys.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think some Streamlights would be a decent option for you and they have catered directly to the Law Enforcement and EMT markets since they started.
They offer several models that include quick car charging docks so you can just slide the light into the dock and not need to mess around with anything with battery changing unless you need a spare.
Seems a natural to me?

Also battery ,light and charging tech has improved so much in such a short time that I would not be as worried about repeated charging from different levels hurting the batteries as they might have just a few years ago.

I would also look at Malkoff lights as they are dead simple and reliable and designed for the Police market from the start.