Paramedic needs a new light

bubbaafd5

Newly Enlightened
I am in need of a new light. I was carrying the Fenix PD32ue as an EDC and used it in my job. My daughter dropped it the other day and it no longer works. I am looking for suggestions on a similar sized light. Needs to be at least 400 lumen. Also need a excellent pocket clip. I have a Nitecore p12, good light but the pocket clip did not make it a week. Thanks for your suggestions.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised a drop could take your Fenix out... have you tried a different battery? I dropped a light with an AW 17670 that went black and it turned out to be the battery's PCB that failed. Also, if you can trace the distributor to Fenixlighting.com (I understand supplies Amazon and REI) they should repair or swap you from within the US .... for life.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you looking for exactly? Is one to two lumens for pupil exams needed? Thirty to fifty lumens for general wound care? You mentioned 400 lumens, I assume for area assessment and search, right? Rechargeable or primary? How long of a run time would you want on high? Are you interested in high CRI for better color rendition? The more info we have the better recommendations we can make.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Personally, I'd go for a PD35. Then I'd look into getting the PD32 fixed as a spare, or just to have around the house.

Other than the luck of the draw, there doesn't seem to be any logic in whether lights survive drops or not. I've dropped Fenix lights pretty hard onto wood floors a couple of times with no bad effect, but I know that's down to luck more than anything.

ven

Flashaholic
Personally, I'd go for a PD35. Then I'd look into getting the PD32 fixed as a spare, or just to have around the house.

+1

Other option is the slightly cheaper acebeam ec32,has a lower low(if inportant)xp-l and higher output(aparently), pretty much same form factor other than build not quite up to fenix pd35(just a thought):)

mdocod

Flashaholic
2 handed paramedics are better than 1 handed paramedics.

My advice:

Armytek Wizard or Tiara series.

If you like the challenge of being a 1 handed paramedic, check out their prime/partner series ;)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the Armytek Wizard or Tiara series ideas, but if you want a handheld light instead then I have definitely also been happy with the PD35 as a successor to the PD32UE.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that what you need is two lights. First, here is no way you need 400 lumens when working on a patient, so I am assuming that much light is needed when you are doing an area search at the scene to look for possible injured, etc. I would recommend something like the Nitecore EA41 in a belt holster for those times when you need to reach out and touch someone. Otherwise it will be out of the way yet ready at hand. For your regular light, I recommend the Streamlight ProTac EMS. It is a single AA light with 3.7 lumen (pupil exam), 10 lumen (general wound care), and 50 lumen (all around near area illumination) modes. It is small enough to be lipped if one needs both hands for a minute or two, and has a very nice pocket clip as well. Other options for close-up work would be the Nitecore MT06 penlight, at 32 & 160 lumens, using two AAA cells, or if accurate color rendition is important, the TerraLux LightStar 80 High CRI penlight at 50 lumens. It even has a rubber bite collar for no-hand use.

This would give you the option of having a smaller, lighter, easier to manipulate light for the close in work, and a brighter, longer lasting light for when larger area illumination is needed, which could also be used with its lower modes for close in work if needed. Remember, "Two is One, and One is None".

Taz80

Enlightened
I think if I was a paramedic I'd really wouldn't want to be putting anything in my mouth. It kind of defeats the purpose of those gloves, masks and safety glasses. Maybe a H600fw or a wizard used as an angle light. The only problem with that is the H600 doesn't come with a clip and the Armytek's doesn't look very good, but I don't have one so I can't say for sure.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a flight nurse, I always needed two lights so I carried four. Hi CRI Titanium Preon 2, and an S-12 back in the day. Today I think the same Preon 2 and a Fenix PD35 UE. These days I don't go anywhere without my D25CVN and either a V11rVN or Ti V10+VN. I find a variable ring output most useful. With the caveat that if I was still working in the back of a King Air200 or Learjet my Four Sevens headband and or Zebralight would be a must have.

Latest posts