What the best charger what i can buy ?

mattev

Newly Enlightened
Hello , I`m new here!. I read some post here , but maybe a have a very dumb question.
I bought myself a eagtac mx23l3 mt-g2 today with matching eagtac 18650 3400 mah batteries.
Now a need the best charger that can charge my batteries the right way.
The critics what i need is that i can charge 3 batteries at once. Maybe charge some nimh batteries.
Now i have looked around and will the xtar vc4 a good candidate or is there some other better one ?
I really don`t know wich one i have to choose.
Greets Mathijs

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
The only two chargers that come to mind that would suit your needs (keep in mind that I'm far from an "expert") would be the VC4 you mentioned and the Nitecore D4. I don't know if one is better than the other. I think it will depend upon your needs. Here are reviews of each:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400085-Test-Review-of-Charger-Xtar-VC4

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Review-of-Charger-NiteCore-Intellicharger-D4

edit: Sorry, when you mentioned nimh I was thinking of Lifepo4, for some reason. There are probably other 4 slot chargers that do both Li-ion and nimh. I don't think the VC4 charges Lifepo4 anyway. This is what I get for posting right after waking up. :eek:;):D

Last edited:

mattev

Newly Enlightened
Thank Scott for the answer.

I did read the review of the xtar vc4 from HJK. I understand that this is a good charger, but you need a decent usb power supply for good and fast charging.
I think i gonna order this one.
Thanks for the help.

Berneck1

Enlightened
You may want to check out the Opus BT-C3400. It's more advanced than the VC-4 and D4. I have all of these chargers. The BT-C3400 has a much greater degree of flexibility in charging, and it's more powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Opus BT-C3100 v2.2 (the latest version) is now available at Gearbest dot com at a group buy price of $ 38.99, use coupon OPUSBTGB

mattev

Newly Enlightened
Tatasal. Thanks for the tip. Didn't know that there was a new version with updated specs. Saw that the critics that hjk had that the temp went to hi at v2.1 at 2.2 they made it better. Also some other stuff was changed. I ordered this one. Now i have to wait. Its gonna take a time when it hits the netherlands.

Amelia

Enlightened
You may want to check out the Opus BT-C3400. It's more advanced than the VC-4 and D4. I have all of these chargers. The BT-C3400 has a much greater degree of flexibility in charging, and it's more powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

This.

I did a boatload of research before I bought my chargers, I didn't want to settle for 2nd best. I ended up buying 3 Xtar VP2 chargers for most of my charging, and 2 Opus BT-C3400 chargers for battery analysis and NiMH (Eneloop) charging.

COMPLETELY happy with all these chargers, they really are perfect.

hammerjoe

Enlightened
From what I read there is no difference as far heat management is concerned between V2.1 and V2.2. The onlydifference is that the backlight can be ocnfigured to be always on and that discharge/refresh now shows the discharge capacity and the end of the three passes instead of the charge capacity.

In other words if someone already has V2.1 theres no reason to upgrade otherwise the V2.2 is the one to get.

mattev

Newly Enlightened
Hammerjoe, you're right. I didn't read it good. Those heat updates where from model v2.0 to 2.1.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
nitcore i4 is the best charger at its price point

imho

one can always find a better more expensive product on the market

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can stretch to the cost, I'd recommend the VC4. Mine arrived today, and I have charged up some li-ion and nimh cells with it. For a 4-bay dual chemistry charger, I don't think you can go wrong with the XTAR VC4. I'm very pleased with it.

It barely gets noticeably warm to the touch and has the convenience of being powered from USB.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
nitcore i4 is the best charger at its price point

imho

one can always find a better more expensive product on the market

I'm glad since I have both versions. But a while ago someone said it didn't use the best charging algorithm for NiMH cells and that Xtars were better. Well, I have Xtars too. But I don't know if that was a legitimate concern or not.

hammerjoe

Enlightened
Lets stick to the topic of the Op.

So money not being an obstacle what is the best charger available out there?

I am curious too.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd warn against multi-chemistry chargers, unless you have some pressing need for one. Have a Li-ion / NiMH charger myself (Enedepots A8), which is a pretty good Li-ion charger, and a poor NiMH charger. From what I've seen, most multi-chemistry chargers are like that: jack of all trades, master of none. :thumbsdow

It's not like chargers are that expensive, and you could buy a cheap charger for one chemistry and a more expensive one for another chemistry (if you use that type of batteries more). Also with multiple chargers you can charge more batteries at once (duh...).

The one exception I can think of, is for example when you're backpacking, need to bring a charger but like to keep total weight / size down. For around-the-house uses, that is not a concern.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
This.

I did a boatload of research before I bought my chargers, I didn't want to settle for 2nd best. I ended up buying 3 Xtar VP2 chargers for most of my charging, and 2 Opus BT-C3400 chargers for battery analysis and NiMH (Eneloop) charging.

COMPLETELY happy with all these chargers, they really are perfect.

I've tried most of the higher end NiMH chargers/analyzers out there and these days like the SkyRC 2500 for NiMH. The Bluetooth iPhone app allows you to remotely control all the parameters which is very convenient.

One thing it does which is cool (literally) is the iPhone app displays the temperature of each slot. If I notice one battery is noticeably hotter than the others (likely indicating an aging battery with more internal resistance) I remotely dial back the charging current for that slot to a lower level. I don't even have to get up out of my chair. You can see the temperature immediately start to drop. Like I said, pretty cool. :)

Of course the charger monitors the temperatures too (you can hear the fan turning on and off) and no doubt does a pretty good job on its own. But I just like to baby my cells. Also it's often one battery of the four that's causing the fan to turn on, and if I reduce the charging current, the fan stops coming on which is less noise if I'm trying to read, as it has a fairly loud fan.

Of course this might all be overkill for some but I like it.

I just wish they had the Bluetooth app for the iPad.

Last edited: