Headlamp Decision - Having a hard time. ZL H600W vs H602W

Amelia

Enlightened
Hi again, flashlight people!

I need help choosing between the Zebralight H600w and H602w. For various reasons I'd rather not go into, these are the ONLY 2 options available to me for this purchase (actually an exchange) so PLEASE don't recommend another brand or Zebralight model number.

My needs/intended use:

1 - 18650 battery. Essential.
2 - Neutral white emitter, between 4500K and 5000K. The closer to truly neutral, or neutral with just a hint of orange/pink the better. Green or purple tint are TOTALLY unacceptable, and a complete deal breaker.
3 - Will be used for both indoor and outdoor activities.
4 - Indoor uses will be reading, finding dropped things and closet stuff, as low level room illumination (nightlight and mood lighting), and cooking.
5 - Outdoor use is "around the camp" stuff, and hiking on and off trails at night. I would like decent lighting 15 or 20 feet ahead of me on medium level output. I want to be able to see where I'm placing my feet without needing to point my head straight down, but rather with just a glance down or slight nod.
6 - I don't want a really obvious and distracting hotspot-spill transition line, or a "bouncing ball" of light when walking fast. Some throw would be nice, but not at the expense of bouncing ball or sharp transition artifacts.

I'm currently leaning SLIGHTLY toward the H602w, but I could be easily swayed if good arguments one way or the other are presented.

Thanks everyone! :)

desmobob

Enlightened
I have the H600w and I am completely happy with it. It has plenty of spill, and just enough throw to really reach out there on higher settings. I think it's the perfect backpacking/general purpose headlamp. The thing about the H600w is, if you want even more flood, you can add a diffuser film (but I haven't found the need for it). With the H602, you won't need the diffuser film, but you'll never have throw. I feel the 600 is a more versatile light. When hiking, there are times you do need some throw.

With that said, if I buy another ZL 18650 headlamp, I might try the 602 or 600F.

Good luck with your choice! I don't think you can really go wrong....

Take it easy,
Bob

Taz80

Enlightened
Stefano has some very good beam and comparison shots in the headlamp section. I don't think the H602 throws far enough for hiking, the H600 with diffusion film like DC fix would be more versatile. I have a H600fw that I think is a great hiking/all round/work light. The tint is very nice, just a little warmer than my D25c Nichia 219A

mdocod

Flashaholic
Amelia,

Your usage effectively points to the H600Fw, which is not an option, so your best bet is the H600w with diffusing film of sorts. Bare emitter lights are, IMO, not a good use of lumens except when dong very close fine detail work.

markr6

Flashaholic
Amelia,

Your usage effectively points to the H600Fw, which is not an option, so your best bet is the H600w with diffusing film of sorts. Bare emitter lights are, IMO, not a good use of lumens except when dong very close fine detail work.

I agree 100% I actually buy the non-frosted Zebralights THEN add d-c-fix film. It gives the best compromise between the standard version (too throwy) and frosted version.

I see the H602 as more of a specialized light - for someone working close indoors such as repairing electronic equipment or building model planes. Or an electrician/plumber in crawl spaces or attics. Now it WILL work for hiking, but you're going to have to waste more battery just to make up for the lack of throw by running it on high.

Here's a shot from a backpacking trip with my H600w II w/ d-c-fix film. This was one of the H2 levels (I think 330lm)

IMG_2993sm.jpg

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
Alright then! :)
I'm almost totally convinced that the H600w (with diffuser tape or film) is the right light for my needs.
Any last minute vouching or reasons I should still consider the H602w before I make the order?

Taz80

Enlightened
I think you should do the right (flashaholic) thing and buy both.:paypal::broke::grin2:

Amelia

Enlightened
I think you should do the right (flashaholic) thing and buy both.:paypal::broke::grin2:

Normally, I would consider that... except for 2 things:

1 - This light isn't even in my budget, it's basically something I'm getting as a "refund" on a different returned light that had a problem.

2 - I'm waiting to see what the Zebralight SC63, H603, and MKIII lights being released later this year will be offering before actually setting aside money for a Zebralight purchase. I'm hoping for throwey high CRI headlamp options! :)

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
2 - I'm waiting to see what the Zebralight SC63, H603, and MKIII lights being released later this year will be offering before actually setting aside money for a Zebralight purchase. I'm hoping for throwey high CRI headlamp options! :)

From experience, I would suggest never waiting for a ZL. Just get what you want in the moment and sell if you want the "upgrade" if/when it comes along. I tend to buy then sell often, not because I don't like them...it's just an addiction!! I don't mind losing about $10-15 from reselling, but I think that's still pretty good.

Amelia

Enlightened
From experience, I would suggest never waiting for a ZL. Just get what you want in the moment and sell if you want the "upgrade" if/when it comes along. I tend to buy then sell often, not because I don't like them...it's just an addiction!! I don't mind losing about $10-15 from reselling, but I think that's still pretty good.

It's not like I'm really waitimg - I already have 5 Zebralight headlamps (H501R, 2xH501w, H51w, and now with this new "order/exchange" a H600w). That's more than enough for my current needs, and I don't really see anything in ZL's current lineup that really sets me on fire. Like I said, I'm really hoping they will come out with a 18650 based high-CRI headlamp with some throw - we can dream, right? :)

dss_777

Enlightened
Assuming it's the H600w Mk II, I think you'll be pleased. Mine is an excellent all-around worklight/camping/check the BBQ light and find it does color pretty well. FWIW, I can't stand the floody ZL headlamps, just because they throw about as far as a six-year old with a wiffle ball.

Amelia

Enlightened
Assuming it's the H600w Mk II, I think you'll be pleased. Mine is an excellent all-around worklight/camping/check the BBQ light and find it does color pretty well. FWIW, I can't stand the floody ZL headlamps, just because they throw about as far as a six-year old with a wiffle ball.

Yes, it is the MKII. Placed the order/exchange for the H600w option this morning.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I have the H600, H600F, and H602. Yes, the H600 with film is what you want between your two choices.

I use the H600 on my helmet and the H600F on the handlebars for mountain biking. The H602, as said above, is perfect for hobby and household work.

Steve

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Amelia
I think that a good compromise could be H600Fw.
H602w may be suitable but suffers from little throw.
However no one is disappointed by H600w, if necessary with a bit of magic tape have more diffusion.

View my animated gif (H600w - H600Fw - H602w)

nD15ev.gif

B0qIja.gif

olvPiZ.gif

Again H600w - H600Fw - H602w:

quh1.gif

H600w vs H600Fw:

y5t7vg.gif

H602w
animated gif:

IAP2VY.gif

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
3M removable clear tape on the H600W is a great option.
You can peel it off and stick it to the body when not in use and it stays sticky enough to reuse for a while & its hella cheap :)

My H600W MKII has been my most used light for the past year & it gets used roughly in wet muddy conditions.
No problems so far!

Wish it were a tad warmer but that's my only critique.
Cheers!

Amelia

Enlightened
Thanks, guys! Great beamshots! :)

Psychbeat: You might want it warmer, but it sounds like it might be perfect for me... I prefer my neutral tint lights to be ever so slightly on the colder side - too warm and it starts reminding me of the "bad old days" of Maglight, when I had no interest in flashlights because of their incandescent warmth! :)

To each their own - I prefer a "snowy" neutral with very little colored tint, Nichia 219B is just about perfect for my tastes.

Amelia

Enlightened
H600w arrived today. Beautiful!!! I completely love it!
I'm so impressed that I've shuffled my future new light purchases a bit... the H600Fw will be the next light I buy.
Thanks, everyone! :)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast