Light for mechanical inspections, home and hobby use

targamontess

Newly Enlightened
I use a light for work to look at welds, mechanical components, in dimly lit environments on average for 3 to 4 hours a week could be up to 40 hours a week use depends.. i cannot use an led light It must be incandescent. For home use i use a light to check on my farm animals in the night as we have coyotes and predators, i also do mechanic work as a hobby and use a light For camping. I currrently use *link removed
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $40
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
_

4) Size:

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) EmItter
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is r

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
___
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distancEs

2 inches to 20 feet i look at all distances

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open space

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

need at minimum 2 hrs

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

I dont want it to break but my 2 d energizer hasnt broken in 5 plus years

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____i need a simple switch where i can hand the light to someone and they wont ask me questions about how to use it.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
Simple

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Cannot have knurling must be smooth

15) Water resistance
____Get rained on any night it rains and i need to close up coop outbuildings.

16) Storage conditions
____usually keep it near me in car or house bring to work and back home

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

_
Would like the bulb to last a long time and be easy to get

Last edited by a moderator:

targamontess

Newly Enlightened
Can you please tell me why my link was removed, i read the rule section on links and didnt see what I violated? I want to be aware or all guidelines thanks

cerbie

Enlightened
What you seem to asking for was generally costlier than $40 even before LEDs made incandescents a small niche, outside of boxy flashlights with handles on top.

Short of big boxy flashlights, incandescent flashlights supporting alkalines get dim quickly, and stay dim.

If you want to use rechargeable cells, at a low price, you are risking premature blowout of the bulb (in many cases, assuring it), since the flashlights will be designed for the sagging behavior of alkaline batteries.

Without using one made for Lithium cells, or NIMH/NICD, you will be hard pressed to get good runtime at usable brightness levels. Even then, the trend was and still is for high brightness at 30-60 minutes, rather than long runtimes.

targamontess

Newly Enlightened
The yellow notice at the top of this page.

Thanks got it, I guess i thought because the website wasnt selling anything because it had been discontinued. But i see now they do sell lights in general