660nm narrow spectrum LED strips?

Myogenesis

Newly Enlightened
I want to outfit my bathroom and kitchen with dim 660nm strip lights for use at night. The brighter and the more blue the light, the more your sleep (metatonin production) is disturbed.

Luxeon Rebel Deep Red 660nm LEDs seem to be ideal for this, but I can't find them on a strip anywhere... Essentially I'd like them to emit as high up the visible spectrum as possible, with very little emission under ~650nm:

C0meehm.png

I'd like to mount them in the corner with something like this:
S56-2420P01WL.jpg

I have a bit of soldering experience, but I'm unsure what options are available. Any suggestions? Could I use breadboards to mount loose LEDs?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
go to ledsupply dot com, than go to strips, than find luxstrip, than pick leds and colors you want, from options, that is it. i can't link, but you should not have problems finding it.

Last edited:

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
660nm narrow spectrum

The brighter and the more blue the light, the more your sleep (metatonin production) is disturbed.

Essentially I'd like them to emit as high up the visible spectrum as possible, with very little emission under ~650nm
Why? The rod receptors in the eye have virtually no sensitivity above 600nm, not even very much sensitivity to yellow wavelengths.

The color of an orange-tinted red might even feel a little more 'natural' than a deep ruby red. More like light from a fire. I do not think there is any point wanting to find an emitter with a narrow spectrum.

I do not think 635nm will disturb your melatonin levels at all.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
or the lights can be simply shut off, but we here are not looking for easy ways, lol

SemiMan

Banned
Why? The rod receptors in the eye have virtually no sensitivity above 600nm, not even very much sensitivity to yellow wavelengths.

The color of an orange-tinted red might even feel a little more 'natural' than a deep ruby red. More like light from a fire. I do not think there is any point wanting to find an emitter with a narrow spectrum.

I do not think 635nm will disturb your melatonin levels at all.

Nice to see Anders engaging his mouth before putting his brain in gear ... again .... at least this time he is partially right.

Rods do not impact melatonin. iPRG cells do.

The exact spectral response of iPRG cells is still a bit up in the air. Consensus is not much (but some) response above 600nm. Anders is right, a 632nm LED would likely work well, but the 660nm would be about as sure thing as you can get. Added advantage is the 660nm is past the photo chromatic step and has about as little impact on your night vision adaption as possible while still being able to see it.

I have never seen strips, but you can get Luxeon REBELs and OSRAM dragons at these wavelengths as they are targeted at indoor farming. Photopically(perceived) not as efficient as 632nm, but radiometrically(real power) they are more efficient. As well, they do not drop in output nearly as much as 632.

Semiman

MattPete

Newly Enlightened

It's not the rods (or cones) that are responsible: it's the melanopsin-containing ganglion cells.

[Doh! semi-man beat me to it]

Myogenesis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alpg88, I found them there. I'll have to rethink how I'll light the rooms though, $45 ex shipping for 30cm of light is a bit expensive. Less light would probably be better anyway, as high intensity deep red light will suppress melatonin anyway. A normal ceiling light type of thing might be better. I have to think on this.

And, ehhh, it's a bit hard to see what you're doing when the lights are off.

Anders, it's a good thing that science does not care about your opinion. Have a read here: http://www.researchgate.net/profile...nin_rhythm/links/0046351ba5d3b44326000000.pdf and http://www.researchgate.net/profile..._melatonin/links/09e415111062ff3c24000000.pdf and http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07420520500521988 (access restricted). But thanks for trying to help :)