built my first triple

gianetics

Enlightened
this was a tough one for me. probably not for most of you guys. i used:
host convoy s2 + http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=411
driver
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=52
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]matched up to a triple xp-g2 cw. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]i drilled a hole though the pill and added some copper washers for heat sinking. at first i had mountain electronics send me a triple wired in series and i couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. after an email i thought.... duh. now working im amazed at the amount of light that comes out of this thing. its just one massive hotspot. the coolest thing is the driver i had it flashed with the [/FONT]guppydrv firmware. ive got it set on mode 11.
  1. 100% - 33% - 5% - ML | No Memory
at 33% i can use the light with a 16340 or cr123

sorry no pics.

seasam

Newly Enlightened
this was a tough one for me. probably not for most of you guys. i used:
host convoy s2 + http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=411
driver
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=52
matched up to a triple xp-g2 cw.

i drilled a hole though the pill and added some copper washers for heat sinking. at first i had mountain electronics send me a triple wired in series and i couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. after an email i thought.... duh. now working im amazed at the amount of light that comes out of this thing. its just one massive hotspot. the coolest thing is the driver i had it flashed with the guppydrv firmware. ive got it set on mode 11.
  1. 100% - 33% - 5% - ML | No Memory
at 33% i can use the light with a 16340 or cr123

sorry no pics.

these triples are great. I built a similar light that I was thinking of giving to a family member. I used a S6 body for 18650 size and flashed Star off-time, soldered a off-time capacitor to the attiny chip and called it a day. The 10507 optic seems to be the best choice. I didn't think of using 123 batteries at 1 amp / 33%. I like that idea. maybe I should put this into a 18350 host. that would be pretty handy. I wish the guppy2drv that RMM has was available for download :sigh:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a really cool host. In its 18350 format it reminds me of the MacCustoms 18350 knurly which were up to $300 and 600 lumens.

best,
bigC

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a really cool host. In its 18350 format it reminds me of the MacCustoms 18350 knurly which were up to $300 and 600 lumens.

best,
bigC

I did something similar with the Convoy S2+ mini 18350. I made the following mods to it:
1. Swapped emitter to triple XPL 3D tint with widened Carclo 10507 optic.
2. Shortened the pill.
3. Sawed off tailcap ahead of the tailcap switch and then added a new flat back.
4. Installed an electronic sideswitch and casing at the head of the light.
5. Added a removable ribbed heatsink around the bottom and sides of the head.
6. Replaced driver with a FET modded 105c with DrJones lumodrv e-switch firmware.

Entire light is now just 74mm long. Runs off a 1200 mAh Kinoko IMR 18500 cell. Max output at turn-on is over 2500 lumens, but the light gets hot FAST!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I did something similar with the Convoy S2+ mini 18350. I made the following mods to it:
1. Swapped emitter to triple XPL 3D tint with widened Carclo 10507 optic.
2. Shortened the pill.
3. Sawed off tailcap ahead of the tailcap switch and then added a new flat back.
4. Installed an electronic sideswitch and casing at the head of the light.
5. Added a removable ribbed heatsink around the bottom and sides of the head.
6. Replaced driver with a FET modded 105c with DrJones lumodrv e-switch firmware.

Entire light is now just 74mm long. Runs off a 1200 mAh Kinoko IMR 18500 cell. Max output at turn-on is over 2500 lumens, but the light gets hot FAST!
Why not just start with a piece of pipe? LOL There's nothing left!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just start with a piece of pipe? LOL There's nothing left!

Unfortunately, all I have are hand tools and an electric drill. No lathe.

Without a lathe I don't have the ability to cut threads.... so my ability to build a complete flashlight from scratch is rather limited.

I plan to further mod this light sometime later this year:
1. Replace the driver with an e-switch driver from Mountain Electronics with 1x7135 (for lower power), and a FET (for turbo), and a 30 or 60 second turbo timer.
2. Replace domed XPL emitters and widened optic with the new high-intensity XPLs and an unmodified optic. This should significantly increase the throw. Hopefully these new emitters will be available soon.

gunga

Flashaholic
Is there any way to replace the tail switch with an e-switch? That is pretty awesome modding. Innovative and imaginative!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is changing an optic easy or is it attached to led's or something

gunga

Flashaholic
Very easy. Unscrew pill, lift optic up. Add my glow sticker, put on new optic.

Voila!

:)

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1430859938.633622.jpg